• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Honest question about Shula....

Udogg

I am legitimately confused about some of the Shula hate.   I have sat in many a game day thread and watched literally in back to back plays where if it fails then it's Shula's fault.  If the play works then it's Cam's brilliance or the great line that Gettleman put together that overcame Shula's horrible play design.   

My question is what would Shula have to do (not requiring a bullet or sitting in the car with the garage door closed) to prove he is an adequate OC?   I mean I understand historically offensive coordinators get all of the blame for the bad plays unless everyone hates the QB, but it seems like every bad play is someway makes it back to Shula.  We should have easily scored 34 points this last game without "player" mistakes.  I don't understand "most" of the hate.  What is it? 

Screen pass on 3rd and 15 that works..  Look that's CMC overcoming Shula's incompetent play.

Cam locking on to the low octane fuel that's KB....  Look at those horrible route concepts by Shula

Running the ball when everyone knew it was coming to run out the last 7 minutes of football game..... Thank god Gettleman assembled this offensive line or Shula would have lost this game. 

Multilayer routes with check downs and outlets ............... Look at the long developing routes. Shula's trying to get Cam killed. 

Using probably our best overall playmaker CMC 20 times............  Why didn't he get as much as Kareem Hunt.. must be Shula's fault. 

I honest to god don't understand. I find myself defending Shula when I really don't want to.  Please enlighten me.  

It's a lot due to the fact that as an OC he makes just some of the most baffling play calls in certain situations. Yes, the screen pass to CMC worked, but that was mainly due to CMC being a great talent and not a great play call or design. Had that same play been done a year ago to Fozzy or Stewart there's no way we would have gotten the 1st down.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

1st quarter. 

2nd and 7. 

The Panthers have Jonathan Stewart and Christian McCaffrey, the best RB duo since double trouble. 

Hand off to Fozzy Whitaker for 1 yard. 

giphy.gif

lol

You are aware other teams use their depth at times right?  

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

1st quarter. 

2nd and 7. 

The Panthers have Jonathan Stewart and Christian McCaffrey, the best RB duo since double trouble. 

Hand off to Fozzy Whitaker for 1 yard. 

giphy.gif

lol

Is that not CMC that he fakes it to? There were other plays where they used him as a decoy and it worked like a charm. It just didn't work this time. It happens.

Just now, Burnout189 said:

It's a lot due to the fact that as an OC he makes just some of the most baffling play calls in certain situations. Yes, the screen pass to CMC worked, but that was mainly due to CMC being a great talent and not a great play call or design. Had that same play been done a year ago to Fozzy or Stewart there's no way we would have gotten the 1st down.

3rd and long is the definitive time to use a screen play. 

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

Yeah, loads of other teams use their third string RB in the first quarter when their first two are healthy. 

Wait a minute, no they don't. 

Good grief, Jeremy. That is just a weak example. It's akin to getting mad about throwing a pass to Byrd or Samuel when they could have used KB. It was 2nd down and it's not a big deal. Next time, CMC will probably get the ball since they have the fake on film now. Many many times these plays are used to set up future plays. You can't just look at it in a vacuum and claim it was a horrible play call.

6 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

Good grief, Jeremy. That is just a weak example. It's akin to getting mad about throwing a pass to Byrd or Samuel when they could have used KB. It was 2nd down and it's not a big deal. Next time, CMC will probably get the ball since they have the fake on film now. Many many times these plays are used to set up future plays. You can't just look at it in a vacuum and claim it was a horrible play call.

You are arguing a Fozzy Whitaker play in the first quarter was a great call. 

lol

Archived