• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Honest question about Shula....

Udogg

Just now, csx said:

And everyone used to complain we didn't ever do bootlegs.

Well the bootleg in isolation is fine.

We're talking about a play-calling series here.

Before the first play was even run, in the gameday thread I called run-run-run-FG.  Gosh, I wonder if the other teams coaches knew what was coming?

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Well the bootleg in isolation is fine.

We're talking about a play-calling series here.

Before the first play was even run, in the gameday thread I called run-run-run-FG.  Gosh, I wonder if the other teams coaches knew what was coming?

RR wants this to be a physical offense. What better time to establish this than week 1 when you're defense is playing lights out, you're winning the game and are inside the 5yd line? Just because it didn't work doesn't mean there wasn't a method to the play calling or that they weren't trying to accomplish something.

If they had called Cam's number and he had created a highlight play where he somersaults into the end zone like in 2015, would it have been worth it in week 1?

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yeah, loads of other teams use their third string RB in the first quarter when their first two are healthy. 

Wait a minute, no they don't. 

I don't know. If you hand it off to CMC every time can you ever use him as a decoy?  And if you did hand it off to CMC every time wouldn't teams then be able to key on him and stop him effectively (notwithstanding CMC's supernatural abilities)?  We may use this same exact play in another game down the road (probably will) and that time CMC may get the ball.  

26 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

RR wants this to be a physical offense. What better time to establish this than week 1 when you're defense is playing lights out, you're winning the game and are inside the 5yd line? Just because it didn't work doesn't mean there wasn't a method to the play calling or that they weren't trying to accomplish something.

If they had called Cam's number and he had created a highlight play where he somersaults into the end zone like in 2015, would it have been worth it in week 1?

If you're offense is going to be utterly predictable, you damn sure better be WAY better and stronger at each position if you want to play the "here we come, here's what we're gonna do, and I dare you to stop us" game.

Guess what.  We ain't.  

And very, very few teams in NFL history have ever been that.  Too many good players even on bad teams.

31 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

If you're offense is going to be utterly predictable, you damn sure better be WAY better and stronger at each position if you want to play the "here we come, here's what we're gonna do, and I dare you to stop us" game.

Guess what.  We ain't.  

And very, very few teams in NFL history have ever been that.  Too many good players even on bad teams.

We did exactly that to finish off the game.

4 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

So the evidence shows that we CAN'T do it against a fresh defense but we CAN do it against a tired one?

Any way we can play the 4th quarter first then?

LOL, you're just not going to let it go, are you? We won the game 23-3. All the evidence shows is that it didn't work in that one instance...period.

2 hours ago, CarolinaSamurai said:

I expect the OC to use the players correctly in situations that give them the best possibility to win their matchup and in doing so make the Defensive players respect the play. You run Samuel and KB, or Funch and Byrd, or KB and CMC on that play. Not KB and Funch. You let one of our speedsters take the top off he either pulls more coverage so KB or Funch is one on one in a favorable matchup. Or if they don't respect the speed you just burned them for a big play. Using players incorrectly is something Shula is bad at. He doesn't do it all the time but the times he does it shows me he's not a great OC. 

Once again, the OC doesn't call in the substitutions. 

So if I am to understand you correctly, before Shula is to call a play, he is to know which substitutions are being made, and then decide on the play call, and call it in, and hope to hell that they get the play off before the play clock hits zero?!?!?

Man, so many of you have severe unrealistic expectations of our OC. 

Reality is, no matter who is on the field, they must execute, and then it still comes down to Cam. 

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

Guess what.  We ain't.  

Every team in the league would love to have a good enough lead, to run the ball and the clock out for the last 8 minutes of the game. You call it being predictable, while the players and coaches call it, imposing their will, and securing the game.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

1st quarter. 

2nd and 7. 

The Panthers have Jonathan Stewart and Christian McCaffrey, the best RB duo since double trouble. 

Hand off to Fozzy Whitaker for 1 yard. 

giphy.gif

lol

Cherry pick much? How about Whitaker was spelling CMC and Stewart who were getting a breather. No I am sure Shula ignored those 2 and focused on Fozzy thinking he was the best option. The answer to the OPs question is simple. You are the source of much of the hate apparently being butthurt as a Buc fan living in Tampa in the 90s and have made Shula your whipping boy since then.

Archived