• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Honest question about Shula....

Udogg

44 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Every team in the league would love to have a good enough lead, to run the ball and the clock out for the last 8 minutes of the game. You call it being predictable, while the players and coaches call it, imposing their will, and securing the game.

Except for :

Image result for 4th quarter superbowl

I will take my 3-28 pie please :)

47 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Every team in the league would love to have a good enough lead, to run the ball and the clock out for the last 8 minutes of the game. You call it being predictable, while the players and coaches call it, imposing their will, and securing the game.

Again, I'll repeat for you because you didn't read what I posted previously and you're ignoring the context, I'm talking about the play-calling series of 3 straight runs with 1st and goal at the 6.

If you think bootleg-middle run-middle run-FG is "imposing your will", I don't know what to say.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

1st quarter. 

2nd and 7. 

The Panthers have Jonathan Stewart and Christian McCaffrey, the best RB duo since double trouble. 

Hand off to Fozzy Whitaker for 1 yard. 

giphy.gif

lol

serious question as I wondered for years especially during the DeAngelo era (the start and end of it) about position coaches and what role they play come gameday. 

In the flow of a game....who dictates which RBs go in and out? Does the RB coach have a role in that?  An OC can't really manage positions play to play.   I have always thought the RB usage in games has given a consistent nod  to vets under Skipper.   Is that not Skipper throwing Fozzy a bone? Or is Mike Shula really making a random one Fozzy play early in the game? 

5 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Again, I'll repeat for you because you didn't read what I posted previously and you're ignoring the context, I'm talking about the play-calling series of 3 straight runs with 1st and goal at the 6.

If you think bootleg-middle run-middle run-FG is "imposing your will", I don't know what to say.

Then i suggest you take your complaint up with Cam.  

We already had a lead, Cam was beyond rusty, and they were safe plays that prevented a turn over, and still put points on the score board.

Hows that for context?

I got no major beef w/ Shula.  I mean if your intent is to run the ball and play D.....you are going to hire a Shula type.    If that is your model for success then give him bodies to do that. 

now, if you aren't down w/ ball control, running and playing D?  That is fine.  I get not liking that style. 

but with Shula ball we are now 41-23-1 with 3 NFCS titles and a NFC Championship and Cam Newton managed to get himself a MVP.  Shula can't be that bad.   Not saying he is the reason for that success but he is part of the formula we are applying. 

Simple answer to the OP is that he deserves it. You don't have to watch many Panthers games to see his pattern of absolutely horrendous situational play calling and terribly designed pass plays. His is the guy that called a flea flicker to Cotchery, bubble screens to Bersin, ran that damn double pump screen into the ground until at least twice it got picked off by defensive LINEMEN for TDs, and many other examples. 

2 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

Once again, the OC doesn't call in the substitutions. 

So if I am to understand you correctly, before Shula is to call a play, he is to know which substitutions are being made, and then decide on the play call, and call it in, and hope to hell that they get the play off before the play clock hits zero?!?!?

Man, so many of you have severe unrealistic expectations of our OC. 

Reality is, no matter who is on the field, they must execute, and then it still comes down to Cam. 

How does wanting him to use his players correctly have anything to do with what you said? It's  unrealistic to know what players you have in the game? You make it seem like it's a big ask. But if I'm not mistaken you make the call, the sideline knows who goes in for that call and sends them in. Meaning Shula designed that play to use those players. Which makes him look even more incompetent. 

28 minutes ago, CarolinaSamurai said:

How does wanting him to use his players correctly have anything to do with what you said? It's  unrealistic to know what players you have in the game? You make it seem like it's a big ask. But if I'm not mistaken you make the call, the sideline knows who goes in for that call and sends them in. Meaning Shula designed that play to use those players. Which makes him look even more incompetent. 

Players get gassed/injured/taken out of the game. It's still up to the players to execute.

Shula doesn't make the substitutions. Now yes, in a perfect world, he'd know exactly who is on the field, and would call the perfect play, with plenty of time left on the play clock. 

Let me know when you find this world,  cause i know there wouldn't be any salery cap handicapping teams fron having all pro players at every position and depth.

1 hour ago, Igor1 said:

Why do we run the same foolkin runs up the gut with a small rb ? I thought Shula was going to change the sceme ?

Did you not notice McCaffrey was on the field for 70% of the plays?  He wasn't lined up in the backfield all those.  

and yeah, McCaffrey is a do it all RB.  He runs good between the tackles.  When Stew is out you can't run all other RBs to the outside.  That would make your O super predictable if only 28 got inside carries.   Plus it doesn't take advantage of McCaffrey's strengths.  He can hit inside runs 28 can't based on quickness and size as well

Scheme doesn't and shouldn't change for McCaffrey.  Your scheme needs to fit your QB pending you have a good one.  It has been one week.  We haven't and shouldn't of seen all the ways McCaffrey will make us more dangerous yet as well. 

Archived