• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

iPhone X/iPhone 8

Lumps

I dislike apple products.  I think they are grossly overpriced, in general.

So $1000 for a phone is ridiculous (as is the new Samsung Note 8).  I balked at $672 when I got my LG G6 (sadly, the price fell out on an otherwise excellent phone!).  The X is crazy expensive for what?  Several features that have been on android phones for years.  The iphone 8 should be the one people buy.  You get most of the features, retain the finger print scanner, and get the rest of the updates.

I have been curious to see what apple would do.  I like competition in the market, and if the best thing they have is a high tech face ID (which sounds cool in principal, but there's still a number of safety concerns with it), that's just not good enough for their users.

It's very disappointing to see a company that was a true innovator lose their risk taking creativity.  They have the cash and the rep to do something really crazy, and instead they take a bunch of ideas that android has had for years and slap a four digit price tag on it.

I've never had an iPhone before but I am debating on getting the iPhone 8 plus. Not really a fan of the iPhone x. 

Seems like most reviews say the 8 isn't worth upgrading to from the iPhone 7 as it is just an upgraded version of the same phone. But if I've never had one before would you guys say the 8 is worth a shot?

I've always been an Android guy. Had an htc m8 and Moto x pure. Both started shitting on me 1.5-2 years of use. My Moto x hardly charges anymore.

I don't know much about such things but from what little I've read it seems that whatever Android had as face recognition is nothing like what Apple did. They are saying that the idea isn't new but the execution of it is innovative. Me personally, I don't care. Just thought I'd share that.

I have an iPhone 6+. I like it. And see no reason to upgrade to any of them. My son swears by his Samsung whatever and says it's great. I don't get too deep into it but I do use my phone for everything. Don't even own a laptop anymore.

from a hardware point of view, there isn't much to her excited about. the 8 is just a standard upgrade. the X is sexy, but still just a better mousetrap.

what gets my eggplant purple is the AR features opening up the next generation of apps. just like the touch screen on the first iphone changed the way we interact, AR introduced here will once again change the game.

Ikea has posted a simple app that shows how this is a game changer. the phone maps the space you're in, and you can place Ikea furniture in the space. it's a very simple proof of concept of how we will be interacting in 3 space now. that's some exciting poo.

On 9/23/2017 at 7:02 AM, Mother Grabber said:

from a hardware point of view, there isn't much to her excited about. the 8 is just a standard upgrade. the X is sexy, but still just a better mousetrap.

what gets my eggplant purple is the AR features opening up the next generation of apps. just like the touch screen on the first iphone changed the way we interact, AR introduced here will once again change the game.

Ikea has posted a simple app that shows how this is a game changer. the phone maps the space you're in, and you can place Ikea furniture in the space. it's a very simple proof of concept of how we will be interacting in 3 space now. that's some exciting poo.

I'd be interested to see who will use that app other than actual nerds like us.  I mean, I dig the idea.  But let's remember that the overwhelming majority of smartphone users are completely stupid.  Sorry, but let's think about all of our friends and family for a sec.  I can think of three people who MIGHT be interested.  As long as it takes the pictures of their food, gets all their social media apps, and has a good enough battery; most people couldn't really tell you the difference between the various trims and years of iphones or android phones.

And I'm not saying the overwhelmingly majority of people who use smartphones are stupid, but look around at the people using them a little bit.  Especially those asshats on the huddle =P

2 hours ago, d-dave said:

I'd be interested to see who will use that app other than actual nerds like us.  I mean, I dig the idea.  But let's remember that the overwhelming majority of smartphone users are completely stupid.  Sorry, but let's think about all of our friends and family for a sec.  I can think of three people who MIGHT be interested.  As long as it takes the pictures of their food, gets all their social media apps, and has a good enough battery; most people couldn't really tell you the difference between the various trims and years of iphones or android phones.

And I'm not saying the overwhelmingly majority of people who use smartphones are stupid, but look around at the people using them a little bit.  Especially those asshats on the huddle =P

the Ikea app is an example of how AR will fundamentally change phones as a tool. the original iphone introduced tapping and swiping as a way to interact with our devices, and people around the world, rich/poor, smart/stupid, all know how to tap and swipe, whatever app they are using. (ive seen families living in one room houses, and monks who don't have jobs or possessions, all using smart phones)

AR will make a similar fundamental change to how we interact with the device, gesturing and interacting in 3 space, whatever app people may be using. Apple didn't invent the touch screen, but the iphone made them functional for everyone. Apple didn't invent AR, but their new phones will lead the change to phones as a 3 dimensional device.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:47 PM, Mother Grabber said:

the Ikea app is an example of how AR will fundamentally change phones as a tool. the original iphone introduced tapping and swiping as a way to interact with our devices, and people around the world, rich/poor, smart/stupid, all know how to tap and swipe, whatever app they are using. (ive seen families living in one room houses, and monks who don't have jobs or possessions, all using smart phones)

AR will make a similar fundamental change to how we interact with the device, gesturing and interacting in 3 space, whatever app people may be using. Apple didn't invent the touch screen, but the iphone made them functional for everyone. Apple didn't invent AR, but their new phones will lead the change to phones as a 3 dimensional device.

I am skeptical though of the widespread use.  Hopefully someone will figure out a way to get the average low tech consumer excited about AR.  Like my wife would KILL for an app that allowed her to see what items on a menu or at the store that are gluten free.  That would require an actual database that was kept up to date on those kind of things, but it would be a real boon for people with dietary needs.

Or amazon needs to get on it.  Instant AR price matching.  Or take the IKEA idea to tattoos, see your bad idea in real time!

Archived