• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A different view of the 6 sacks on Cam Newton

Jeremy Igo

26 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Hard to audible when getting to the line to snap the ball with time to king down

even the Cleveland Browns have more rhythm than Shula's offense 

My question is why hasn't Cam taken control of the offense? Are the coaches not letting him run the offense or is he just not being assertive enough? I was watching Matt Stafford last night and there seemed to be a sense of urgency on every snap and he was calling audibles on almost every play. Cam is the leader of this team. He should be in charge of the offense when they step out on that field no matter who the OC is. If the coaches are holding him back, that's pure BS.

3 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

If the blitz contains you IN THE POCKET, you understand you can't just "get rid of the ball", right?

Yes, you can, you just have to make sure there's an eligible receiver somewhere in the vicinity. With his arm, shouldn't be any trouble to sail it out of bounds over a WR's head.

9 minutes ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

My question is why hasn't Cam taken control of the offense? Are the coaches not letting him run the offense or is he just not being assertive enough? I was watching Matt Stafford last night and there seemed to be a sense of urgency on every snap and he was calling audibles on almost every play. Cam is the leader of this team. He should be in charge of the offense when they step out on that field no matter who the OC is. If the coaches are holding him back, that's pure BS.

That should come in time. Cam didn't have any practice time this offseason and he's being asked to do something different with players he doesn't know. Not surprising the offense looks disjointed at times. Having the wrong Kalil miss the game didn't help either. 

Assuming the Oline gels, the offense will be fine.

5 hours ago, CatMan72 said:

Daryl Williams trips over his own feet just as the blitzing LB hits the gap... at that point the playcall doesn't matter, it's over. Cam has to step up to get away from that and is sacked. Trai stays with the most immediate threat and Williams is still on his ass while the stunting DE runs by him. Between plays like this and the holding calls Williams was a liability on Sunday. 

I'm about ready for Moton to get a chance. How much worse could it be? 

Just now, AceBoogie said:

With our play design Cam basically only has time for his first read.By the time he gets to his second he's sacked. So saying thing like "ball needs to be out" is cute, but not really how playing qb works. 

It's exactly how playing QB works-if a sack happens after 3 seconds, the QB is at least partially at fault. That's enough time to make a first read, if it's not there , then throw it away or checkdown. 

If Cam gets the ball out in less than 3 seconds, none of those sacks happen.  Don't care what the play call is, if the pocket is collapsing, find a receiver to throw to or throw at to throw it away. 3rd and 10 is way better than 3rd and 17. Hit the checkdown, 3rd and 5 is way better than 3rd and 10.

Promise you Brees, Brady, Reothlisberger, Stafford, Carr and the other top 15 QBs don't take at least 4 of those 6 sacks, because the ball is out of their hands in less than 3 seconds.

Cam is rusty, his decision making should speed up as the season progresses, but 3 seconds is a long enough to get a throw off.

Biggest issues are Cam not getting rid of it and Shula calling dumb plays.

Oline is an issue but I feel like when this is the case the QB needs to check down. 4 seconds is a lot of time, and olines aren't perfect every play and it's up to the QB to see that and get rid of it.

Not excusing the OLINE, but we have what we have and Shula as well as Cam need to see that and adjust.

We simply needs plays designed more friendly to less time in the pocket and Cam to take what the defense gives him. We need a LT but they don't grow on trees. 

1 hour ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I wish I can find the post who said we hike so low on the clock, because Ron wants to run the game clock. I'm starting to think this is the truth. Ron wants to play the clock first, play to win the game second

If we run the pace and no-huddle like Cam excels at, it'll give him and the offense time to make adjustments at the line. But its very frustrating to watch us snap huddle 7-10 sec and hike the ball at 0-1 sec

1 hour ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

My question is why hasn't Cam taken control of the offense? Are the coaches not letting him run the offense or is he just not being assertive enough? 

My first impression (admittedly biased) is that Cam would want to run it no-huddle and do his best to move down the field and score TDs, whereas his HC and his OC prefer slow, plodding play to run up TOP and if they just happen to score, well then, that's OK too.

Edit: I made my post without even reading further in the thread and I see @beaston and I carry the same impression.

4 minutes ago, beastson said:

I wish I can find the post who said we hike so low on the clock, because Ron wants to run the game clock. I'm starting to think this is the truth. Ron wants to play the clock first, play to win the game second

If we run the pace and no-huddle like Cam excels at, it'll give him and the offense time to make adjustments at the line. But its very frustrating to watch us snap huddle 7-10 sec and hike the ball at 0-1 sec

Ron firmly believes that a well rested, great defense will beat a dynamic offense 10 times out of 10...us getting our brains bashed out in the Super Bowl doesn't help that.

Like I have said a few times, RR is very happy winning games like we did Sunday.

5 hours ago, jayflip said:

What's not shown is the play clock in these replays. 

Far too often, the play takes forever to come in, leading a delayed Huddle break, delayed formation and Cam clapping wildly for the center to snap the ball so we don't get a delay of game for thev3rd time in our HOME stadium. 

This telegraphs the snap count and makes for a situation where there is little to no time for audibles to be properly called. 

Combine that with slow, long developing routes (still, ugh) and dodgy line protection (ugh), throw in a lack of separation and a dash of Cam pressing while ignoring the layups... you get this. 

Shula'd. 

Remember that awesome time two years ago when we played the Skins and Cam was drawing them offsides like crazy? What happened to that?

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Ron firmly believes that a well rested, great defense will beat a dynamic offense 10 times out of 10...us getting our brains bashed out in the Super Bowl doesn't help that.

Like I have said a few times, RR is very happy winning games like we did Sunday.

Yep - Munnerlyn was was doing an interview on the radio a few minutes ago saying basically the same thing. Said even though they have a QB like Cam, the team is built to win games through their defense. Offenses job is to take care of the ball and it's the defenses job to get it back in their hands and make plays to win games.

1 hour ago, yasuhara2241 said:

Sack 2: All the receivers were running 13+ yards down the field except Dickson who came out late. By the time, the play developed, sacked. 

It was 3rd and 19.  If you aren't going to call long passes on that down and distance, you might as well run a draw.

Archived