• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A different view of the 6 sacks on Cam Newton

Jeremy Igo

So if you read this thread objectively you get the following points that are all pretty valid to varying degrees:

Ron wants our offense like it is built and operates

Cam is rusty

Shula or some other factor causes us to always be late on the play

OL/blocking in general didn't execute

Hot WRs/RBs don't have head on a swivel fast enough/recognize blitzes themselves

Looks like there are issues for everyone to correct. Except Ron. He's doing what he likes.

Completely unrelated: did anyone see the Wilks presser from yesterday? Man that guy is awesome. Would love for him to be our next coach (with his own OC of course). Totally unrelated.

If you guys haven't noticed Shula, or Cam depending on who you chose to find at fault, has basically 2 plays ran out of different formations.  It's either Stewart up the gut or everybody go deep.  When he gets bored he pulls out the old wildcat or the end around to the slowest receiver.  

38 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

So if you read this thread objectively you get the following points that are all pretty valid to varying degrees:

Ron wants our offense like it is built and operates

Cam is rusty

Shula or some other factor causes us to always be late on the play

OL/blocking in general didn't execute

Hot WRs/RBs don't have head on a swivel fast enough/recognize blitzes themselves

Looks like there are issues for everyone to correct. Except Ron. He's doing what he likes.

Completely unrelated: did anyone see the Wilks presser from yesterday? Man that guy is awesome. Would love for him to be our next coach (with his own OC of course). Totally unrelated.

Yes I did watch the Wilks presser. I hope he does more of them. I love that guy.

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

My first impression (admittedly biased) is that Cam would want to run it no-huddle and do his best to move down the field and score TDs, whereas his HC and his OC prefer slow, plodding play to run up TOP and if they just happen to score, well then, that's OK too.

Edit: I made my post without even reading further in the thread and I see @beaston and I carry the same impression.

I want to see more no huddle too. It just seems like Cam gets into a better rhythm that way. It doesn't have to be a hurry up offense either. Just get up to the LOS, read the defense, make your adjustments/audibles, and run the damn play. Then you can slow it down again when you get a lead and want to run out the clock.

The reality is, until we get out of the Shula offense, we will only continue to ask ourselves what if, and wonder aloud what our talent could look like if only properly utilized. Rivera is going down with Shula either way if it boils down to it.

Of course it hasn't at all helped matters that even with Shula, we've still done a mediocre job of consistently fielding a quality OL.

All around the ugly truth is this franchise has done it's best to hamper the evolution of Cam Newton, but he's still managed to become one of the most prolific QB's in history at this point into his career, and league MVP.

10 minutes ago, TheRed said:

The reality is, until we get out of the Shula offense, we will only continue to ask ourselves what if, and wonder aloud what our talent could look like if only properly utilized. Rivera is going down with Shula either way if it boils down to it.

Of course it hasn't at all helped matters that even with Shula, we've still done a mediocre job of consistently fielding a quality OL.

All around the ugly truth is this franchise has done it's best to hamper the evolution of Cam Newton, but he's still managed to become one of the most prolific QB's in history at this point into his career, and league MVP.

Well then Rivera needs to go down too. No one will cry about that at all he's barely an average coach at best and looks like Wilks himself could do just as good a job but probably even be better. Nevermind the other good coaches we passed up a long the way including some in the division that would have been upgrades.

"Who is Jim Harbaugh" - only a HC who wins everywhere he goes (not even saying I wanted him in particular but it highlights a major issue that we all now know is a HUGE issue for this franchise)

1 hour ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Yep - Munnerlyn was was doing an interview on the radio a few minutes ago saying basically the same thing. Said even though they have a QB like Cam, the team is built to win games through their defense. Offenses job is to take care of the ball and it's the defenses job to get it back in their hands and make plays to win games.

Every modern rule is written to benefit the offense and limit the defense and Ron is more comfortable ignoring that to rein in the offense (TOO RISKY!!!) and depending on that defense to make that last critical stop.

What I noticed is how most of the pressure comes primarily from the A gap which makes sense since the Bills are flexing Dareus and Williams. Combined with Larsen being under center I think had a HUGE factor in the game. Center is in charge of the line and helping make protection calls and anticipating defensive plays. That was our weak link. 

In the plays above, there was no pocket and Cam was unable to step up because the protection wouldn't allow. McDs defense, much like ours, also has athletic and smart LBs and DBs that are awaiting on delays to clean up what the DTs force. I'd like to think that things wouldve been different if Kalil was in there. 

Kalil was def responsible for whiffing a few times and Williams was struggling at times too, but the main thing I see in the 6 sacks from this birdeye view, is the interior imploding off the snap.

1 hour ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I have re watched a part of this game and up until about 3 minutes into the 2nd quarter, the Panthers offense was lined up and ready to go with about 15 seconds or more still on the clock on almost every play. There was plenty of time to make adjustments and to change up the snap count.

Coincidentally enough, we had our best offensive success early in the game.

Archived