• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Changing the Launch Point

Hogmolliesmaht

14 minutes ago, joemac said:

If we're all being honest with ourselves, Cam hasn't been that runner for a while now. When was the last time he broke off a giant run like in any one of those gifs? The beating he's taken over the past 6 years has taken a big toll on his agility and quickness, IMO.

True. And we're starting off this year with him missing practice time with lingering injuries. Ankle getting twisted last game is not good. I'm afraid his shoulder never healed up all the way either. Prepared for a much less accurate, potent Cam this year. 

1 hour ago, adub2b23 said:

He just needs to get the ball out quick, I don't care to who.  Every time he dumped it off it went for at least 5 yards.  That's how you eliminate the negative plays (sacks) and keep drives moving.  Shula needs to give him a check down on every play, and Cam can't be afraid to take it.

There was a check down on every sack. I can't speak for every play but only from the thread that showed each sack. Of course it wasn't possible to hit the outlet on every sack but it was there.

It seems clear at this point that Cam is simply not very comfortable (good) under center. My guess is that the scheme was developed to accentuate the things Cam did well and avoid those things he does not do well. I am afraid at this point that Cam is what he is. He is never going to be a supremely accurate passer or a good post snap reader of defenses. My fear always was that as his mobility decreased (intentionally or otherwise) his lack of accuracy would become more impactful

Schemes can be readily changed. People are a different matter.

1 hour ago, adub2b23 said:

I'm not saying for Shula to call quick passes every play, but there needs to be an outlet for Cam.  I put a lot of it on Cam holding onto the ball too long.

There are outlets. Go back and watch those sack gifs that Jeremy put up. On at least 3 of them, there was somebody open underneath.

28 minutes ago, Snake said:

Like everything it's not just one thing. Cam definitely needs to get the ball out of his hands. A 5 yard play is sometimes a good thing. Shula on the flip side needs to give Cam and the center more time at the line to adjust. Those two things there would make a huge difference. 

At least in the 1st half last week, Cam had them up to the line with 15 seconds or more to survey the defense on almost every play. I can't re- watch the 2nd half because it got accidentally deleted.

1 minute ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I'm not saying for Shula to call quick passes every play, but there needs to be an outlet for Cam.  I put a lot of it on Cam holding onto the ball too long.

Yup, holding onto the ball forever. It's a big reason for the sacks. Our o-line hasn't been good since Gross left. Can't expect them to perform miracles. 

"fire Cam, fire Cam"

That's usually what's coming out of my mouth on those long pass plays, and many times right before the sack.

When Cam's back foot hits on his drop backs, he needs to know where the ball needs to go, but he seems to still be looking for the open receiver, then the pass rush hits home.

The ball has to come out, weather that be to where the WR is supposed to be, where he actually is, or somewhere out of bounds near a receiver.  We are not good enough on offense right now to be taking sacks, especially one's that back us out of FG range.  Those are inexcusable.

4 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

"fire Cam, fire Cam"

That's usually what's coming out of my mouth on those long pass plays, and many times right before the sack.

When Cam's back foot hits on his drop backs, he needs to know where the ball needs to go, but he seems to still be looking for the open receiver, then the pass rush hits home.

The ball has to come out, weather that be to where the WR is supposed to be, where he actually is, or somewhere out of bounds near a receiver.  We are not good enough on offense right now to be taking sacks, especially one's that back us out of FG range.  Those are inexcusable.

I was in a room full of people yelling for him to get rid of the ball. 

I keep hearing that Shula isn't getting the play in fast enough so I'm going to concentrate on how long it takes for the Panthers to huddle, how long they spend in the huddle, and how  much of a sense of urgency Cam is showing getting  in and out of the huddle and at the LOS before the snap this time. The only problem is that I will be watching on TV, so the camera will be going back and forth between views and graphics, and the announcers will be talking about different things during that time, so it would be better if PSL owners would to it and report what they see.

Personally, I don't think this is all on Shula or Cam, but a combination of the two.

1 minute ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

I keep hearing that Shula isn't getting the play in fast enough so I'm going to concentrate on how long it takes for the Panthers to huddle, how long they spend in the huddle, and how  much of a sense of urgency Cam is showing getting  in and out of the huddle and at the LOS before the snap this time. The only problem is that I will be watching on TV, so the camera will be going back and forth between views and graphics, and the announcers will be talking about different things during that time, so it would be better if PSL owners would to it and report what they see.

Personally, I don't think this is all on Shula or Cam, but a combination of the two.

Cam has stated in the past the the offensive huddle is a mess and half the time they spend arguing because he is calling the wrong play and Olsen is trying to correct him. He said the offensive huddle should have it's own reality TV show because how entertaining it is.  That was awhile back that he made those comments but I remember reading it / hearing it and thinking "well, that can't be good'.

Shula has been with Cam his whole entire NFL career. I have not seen much improvement. To me he has held Cam back him and Rivera. You would think 6yrs he has been with this regime and we still are in the same talk each yr. To me the type of game Rivera wants to call negates Cam. he really does not fit what Rivera wants to do. Rivera needs a game manager at QB not Cam. 2016 was great bc the defense gifted Cam alot of opportunities but even then we still were somewhat stagnant at times on offense with leads and teams came back to make it a game...Cam is a fast pace QB at least he was who enjoyed playing fast..its the one reason we had the record in 2015. It is one reason why he was so good at Auburn fast pace. This conservative game running down the clock is a gift and curse all in one. He can do that but it is not his strength.

1 hour ago, Hogmolliesmaht said:

At least in the 1st half last week, Cam had them up to the line with 15 seconds or more to survey the defense on almost every play. I can't re- watch the 2nd half because it got accidentally deleted.

People keep saying that but it's not enough time. Most QB's get 20 and yes that extra 5 matters. We also do a bunch of motions so you need time for that as well. Its why people say Cam is better in the hurry up. All it does is give him time to survey more. 

39 minutes ago, Snake said:

People keep saying that but it's not enough time. Most QB's get 20 and yes that extra 5 matters. We also do a bunch of motions so you need time for that as well. Its why people say Cam is better in the hurry up. All it does is give him time to survey more. 

So pay attention to that next time. It was actually more than 15 seconds on most plays and it didn't appear to me like Cam was in a big hurry either, except for when he was having trouble with this helmet. I just want people to keep an open mind be honest about what you see instead of automatically bashing Shula just because that's what the cool kids are doing. I do blame Shula for not changing the launch point of Cam's throws more often, but I also blame Cam for not speaking up about it. Surely he knows the value of rolling out every once in a while and having the option to run or pass better than us dumb ass fans. After all, he's the one who is taking those big hits in the pocket.

I would also like to see Cam stop trying to spin out to his left when he gets in trouble. Every Panthers opponent knows that tendency just as well or better than we do and the result is usually more lost sack yardage.

Archived