• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Buffalo Reached Out to Us

PantherNation123

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney told ESPN.com that Buffalo reached out to him. He said the trade made sense because it gives Carolina a chance to be more diversified on offense in terms of getting more speed receivers -- Russell Shepard, Curtis Samuel and Kaelin Clay -- on the field. He said Devin Funchess would step into Benjamin's role as the No. 1 receiver.

This confirms the fleecing, (if people didn't already know that).  Beane just wanted to take advantage of us while he can, and boy did he ever.  We would've gotten a comp pick for Benjamin if we hadn't signed him after next year (probably 3rd or 4th).  So essentially we got a glorified UDFA for shipping our #1 WR.

4 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney told ESPN.com that Buffalo reached out to him. He said the trade made sense because it gives Carolina a chance to be more diversified on offense in terms of getting more speed receivers -- Russell Shepard, Curtis Samuel and Kaelin Clay -- on the field. He said Devin Funchess would step into Benjamin's role as the No. 1 receiver.

This confirms the fleecing, (if people didn't already know that).  Beane just wanted to take advantage of us while he can, and boy did he ever.  We would've gotten a comp pick for Benjamin if we hadn't signed him after next year (probably 3rd or 4th).  So essentially we got a glorified UDFA for shipping our #1 WR.

I don't like the trade but the whole comp pick angle isnt really an issue...

18 minutes ago, PantherNation123 said:

He said the trade made sense because it gives Carolina a chance to be more diversified on offense in terms of getting more speed receivers -- Russell Shepard, Curtis Samuel and Kaelin Clay -- on the field. He said Devin Funchess would step into Benjamin's role as the No. 1 receiver.

Because there was no way to make this happen without trading KB away. 

God Hurney is a nitwit. 

1 minute ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

derp derp derp comp pick. That's all you keep talking about. Sounds like you were really counting on us getting that comp pick for KB. a 3rd and 7th is better than a comp pick for him. 

A 3rd and a 7th is marginally better.  Not worth trading your #1 receiver for moving up a few spots in the 3rd and a 7th round pick bud.

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

God Hurney is a nitwit. 

You think KB was going to be a happy camper with less opportunity?  That he was going to be fine with Samuels or god forbid Klay for taking away touches/ on field opportunity?  He would have been a huge distraction, way more than being traded will be in the end.   

Beane: hey Marty long time no see

MH: hey beane 

Beane: I’ll get to the point, deal of a lifetime, well we evaluated your offense and decided that you guys would be a lot better off with more speed on the field

MH: yeah good idea

Beane: trade us Benjamin and you can do that

MH: what do we get?

Beane: a 3rd and a 7th

MH: what about speed?

Beane: just make Fuchess your number one and put Curtis out there, plus with these draft picks and your elite scouting prowess, it’s a Home run trade. 

MH: deal. Thanks now we can put more speed on the field. I can’t wait to tell Cam and Ron

Yeah, assuming we got a comp for KB, and assuming it was a 3rd, we still got a better pick.

I think Hurney is an idiot, but KB was one of those guys that I rooted for because he's with us, but also ignored a lot of his issues. He should have been a dominant Boldin type receiver and he doesn't seem capable of that. Not sure what removing KB from the roster will do to Funch, sometimes it really does change things for a player-- it has to be a confidence boost that the team just dropped the guy ahead of you for you to get the full load. I think Funch has been showing out better using his physicality and catching the ball vs KB this year. KB was another older rookie and Funch was a younger than average rookie.

I think it's valid to point out using substitutions for putting speed guys on the field more, but we all know that wasn't a legitimate answer with KB on the roster. If he's there, you use him for a variety of reasons-- one being that our coaches refuse to give other guys much of a chance to shine. This does force us to have Shep and Samuel out on the field on the regular. I think that could be a very good thing. Like I've said, Funch and Samuel can draw PI regularly on deep routes. KB wasn't doing that. We can open up the field more with them as the 1 and 2 in some packages.

I don't like Hurney, but this move could legit work.

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

God Hurney is a nitwit. 

Normal staff, sure, but here? Since you have all 22, how often was Cam still locked onto to Benjamin and/or forcing him the ball into coverage? I know I've seen it recently. Can't put a number on it though.

Archived