• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Devin Funchess Compared To Rest Of NFC South WR1s

Saca312

14 minutes ago, hsfolk said:

don't think that's Thomas' fault, it's just a product of a Sean Payton lead team where they pass the ball around to so many people they really don't consider anyone their #1 WR

I don't mean to criticise him and you're right about NO's style of play. Nonetheless I expect he and the NO team and fans might have hoped for more. I guess what I'm saying is he hasn't clearly stepped into the WR1 role after the departure of Cooks, so as to be considered on the same level as Julio and Mike Evans.

1 hour ago, lightsout said:

After a couple of years of "I'm not impressed by him" and "he's not good" and "he can't catch", the new narrative around here is "he's gotten a lot better". And that is true, he's a better player because time = experience = improvement.....given that the player in question is a good player. Give Jimmy Clausen 3 years and he's still Jimmy Clausen. Or Dwayne Jarrett. Or whoever.

Funchess has always been good for us. He has always had the ability and now that he's in a position to show out, he is.

People act like if a guy's not all pro level from the first snap of his rookie year, he's a bust.

4 minutes ago, SeoulPanther said:

I don't mean to criticise him and you're right about NO's style of play. Nonetheless I expect he and the NO team and fans might have hoped for more. I guess what I'm saying is he hasn't clearly stepped into the WR1 role after the departure of Cooks, so as to be considered on the same level as Julio and Mike Evans.

i watched the Saints/Bills game and his #s would've been a lot better, but NO stopped throwing the ball in the 2nd half and only threw it like 3 times in the 3rd and 4th qtr

1 minute ago, hsfolk said:

i watched the Saints/Bills game and his #s would've been a lot better, but NO stopped throwing the ball in the 2nd half and only threw it like 3 times in the 3rd and 4th qtr

Fair enough- I haven't seen much of them this season and I'm certainly not faulting him for his efforts. I may be a little bitter cos he hasn't done it for my fantasy team. Still, It's funny that NO's offensive strength this year has been their running game, despite Bree's and their annually effective passing game. If only they had kept AP.

1 minute ago, SeoulPanther said:

Fair enough- I haven't seen much of them this season and I'm certainly not faulting him for his efforts. I may be a little bitter cos he hasn't done it for my fantasy team. Still, It's funny that NO's offensive strength this year has been their running game, despite Bree's and their annually effective passing game. If only they had kept AP.

no problem, i overdrafted him too but I don't think NO knew their running game was going to be as dominate as they have been

I'm happy with Funchess' development this year. He's become a legit starting caliber WR. That's all I've ever asked of him.

Next year, people will probably start bitching about him like they did KB because he isn't this mythical #1 WR who evidently must be able to consume opponents with fireballs from his eyes and lightning bolts from his arse.

4 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Odell Beckham, Julio Jones, and Antonio Brown are all top 5 locks. The rest are up for debate and I would probably have Mike Thomas in mine. Saying he's been irrelevant is silly, did you even watch when he bullied our team earlier this year?

Who said he was irrelevant? Nobody-least of all me.

But here are his stats: 2 TDS all year, consistently contributing no argument, but top 5? So basically you are so wowed by his rookie season that you rate him higher than both AJ Green and Mike Evans? Ok then.

2017 REGULAR SEASON GAME LOG RECEIVING RUSHING FUMBLES
DATE OPP RESULT REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD              
Sun 11/12 W 47-10 9 10 117 13.0 28 0              
Sun 11/5
  • vs
  •  
  • TB
W 30-10 8 11 65 8.1 24 0              
Sun 10/29 W 20-12 7 9 77 11.0 23 0              
Sun 10/22 W 26-17 7 11 82 11.7 21 0              
Sun 10/15 W 52-38 3 5 11 3.7 5 0              
Sun 10/1 W 20-0 8 11 89 11.1 30 1              
Sun 9/24 W 34-13 7 8 87 12.4 26 1              
Sun 9/17
  • vs
  •  
  • NE
L 20-36 5 10 89 17.8 33 0              
Mon 9/11 L 19-29 5 8 45 9.0 14 0              

25 minutes ago, SeoulPanther said:

Who said he was irrelevant? Nobody-least of all me.

But here are his stats: 2 TDS all year, consistently contributing no argument, but top 5? So basically you are so wowed by his rookie season that you rate him higher than both AJ Green and Mike Evans? Ok then.

2017 REGULAR SEASON GAME LOG RECEIVING RUSHING FUMBLES
DATE OPP RESULT REC TGTS YDS AVG LNG TD              
Sun 11/12 W 47-10 9 10 117 13.0 28 0              
Sun 11/5
  • vs
  •  
  • TB
W 30-10 8 11 65 8.1 24 0              
Sun 10/29 W 20-12 7 9 77 11.0 23 0              
Sun 10/22 W 26-17 7 11 82 11.7 21 0              
Sun 10/15 W 52-38 3 5 11 3.7 5 0              
Sun 10/1 W 20-0 8 11 89 11.1 30 1              
Sun 9/24 W 34-13 7 8 87 12.4 26 1              
Sun 9/17
  • vs
  •  
  • NE
L 20-36 5 10 89 17.8 33 0              
Mon 9/11 L 19-29 5 8 45 9.0 14 0              

I think that was moreso directed at Thomas earlier in the thread who was acting like he was a bust or some poo.

MT is stupid good. Saints are running a lot more and passing a lot less, hell Cam has more passing TDs than Brees this year. It's understandable why he's down on TDs this year.

On the topic of Funchess, I'm trying to contain myself, I've seen many WRs show up and then dissapppear (who remembers when I was the biggest David Gettis fan) but something about his play this season in general has made me really hopefully for him. Everything looks really natural for him and I really think he can make some noise in the leauge. 

11 minutes ago, Rags said:

I think that was moreso directed at Thomas earlier in the thread who was acting like he was a bust or some poo.

MT is stupid good. Saints are running a lot more and passing a lot less, hell Cam has more passing TDs than Brees this year. It's understandable why he's down on TDs this year.

My bad. MT is no bust. But top 5 based on 1 completed season? With one of the very best QB's, a consistently strong O-line and Brandin Cooks spreading the field (last year). Payton calling the plays. Its harder to fail than succeed in that situation. I'm willing to give him a bit more time before I put him in front of proven players like Jordy Nelson and Nuk Hopkins (who has 8 TD's this year despite 3 games of Tom Savage).

Archived