• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is JR Hiding Behind His Coach and his QB?

Cat

28 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I will say this. I feel really badly for both Newton and Rivera right now. 

Newton has never had the greatest relationship with the media anyway. His habit of saying things that come out worse than what he really means doesn't help. There was the whole thing with Jourdan Rodrigue not terribly long ago. That seems to have blown over, but now he's stuck answering questions about his creepy owner and probably trying desperately to make sure that he doesn't say anything that can be misconstrued.

He shouldn't have to be in this position. It's terrible that he's having to talk about this at all. Happily, he seems to be handling it well so far.

And then there's Rivera.

Lord knows I'm not the greatest fan of Ron Rivera the coach, but I'm a huge fan of Ron Rivera the man. He's always seemed like as good a person as you could find, and with a wonderful family as well. I may question his ability, but I've never questioned his integrity.

Same as with Newton, it sucks that Rivera is now having to answer questions about such an uncomfortable topic. Especially so at a time when he should be feeling good because the team has a good record late in the season.

Neither of them deserves to be in the position that Richardson has put them in. It sucks that they are.

And Newton is taking heat for his comments. Shannon Sharpe got on him pretty good yesterday 

7 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

And Newton is taking heat for his comments. Shannon Sharpe got on him pretty good yesterday 

I would like to see this.... is there a video available of this yet? 

I hate how these commentators have the right to discuss this sh!t. Most of them have been accused of sexual assault, abuse, or rape charges... so ass backwards how it all works. This includes Sharpe.

13 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Got a link? All I see is him announcing the sale and a spokesman saying they're cooperating. 

I've already read it I don't need to provide proof for someone else that's not my job I don't feel obligated to do so. The fact of the matter is you don't know the man and you're judging him as if you do. As if it even mattered.

8 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I would like to see this.... is there a video available of this yet? 

I hate how these commentators have the right to discuss this sh!t. Most of them have been accused of sexual assault, abuse, or rape charges... so ass backwards how it all works. This includes Sharpe.

It’s funny to me how when Cam, Rivera, or any of the players get into some trouble or there’s controversy, JR isn’t available for comment. He’s not available for comment, and the fans of this team make excuses for him, stating he’s not obligated to talk to the media or he doesn’t have to speak to anyone.

When there’s controversy involving Cam or any of the players or coaches, many of the fans feel they have to speak. Cam was raked through the coals on here for not responding quick enough in the Jourdan situation. It just sucks these guys have to answer for JR and he’s silent, while having to answer for their own controversies while getting nothing from JR or a “press release” from the panthers.

2 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

It’s funny to me how when Cam, Rivera, or any of the players get into some trouble or there’s controversy, JR isn’t available for comment. He’s not available for comment, and the fans of this team make excuses for him, stating he’s not obligated to talk to the media or he doesn’t have to speak to anyone.

When there’s controversy involving Cam or any of the players or coaches, many of the fans feel they have to speak. Cam was raked through the coals on here for not responding quick enough in the Jourdan situation. It just sucks these guys have to answer for JR and he’s silent, while having to answer for their own controversies while getting nothing from JR or a “press release” from the panthers.

To be fair though, what other owner ever comes to the defense of their players in any meaningful way? I've always thought Jerry Richardson was a good ol' boy in the worst meaning of the term. I've never expected him to come to his players' defense because I don't think he has the kind of character that many fans want to ascribe to him. 

I think Shannon Sharpe is feeling himself a little too much these days. I don't disagree with what he's saying, but his delivery is extremely sanctimonious and I have a hard time believing that he'd have taken these types of stands that he's expecting of current players back when he was still playing. 

2 hours ago, Cat said:

Anyone else bothered that JR isn't more present and hasn't had a press conference? He knows his QB and coach (and other players) have to get in front of a mic every week and take questions from the media. It seems to me like he is hiding behind them and letting them take all the questions from the press. They have to go out there and be the ones that confront this with the media while JR doesn't show his face. 

Maybe I'm being unfair but this is starting to piss me off. 

Not a chance in hell you'll see Jerry Richardson in front of a microphone now or in the future.

Whatever he feels, whatever he thinks, he'll likely take to his grave.

15 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

1) JR is the boss and doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do.  Just like you said - he's not obligated to talk to the media or anyone else, for that matter.  It's not your call.  If he wants to fade quietly into the shadows, that's his prerogative.  

2) Maybe, just maybe, Cam and the other players "feel they have to speak" because they appreciate everything JR has done for them and for their careers.  Maybe they actually KNOW the man, and not just what the news says about him.  Maybe they're not ready to crucify the man like the angry Huddle mob so obviously is.  There are PLENTY of NFL players out there who have mastered the "no comment" answer.  The players are choosing not to do that.

10 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

To be fair though, what other owner ever comes to the defense of their players in any meaningful way? I've always thought Jerry Richardson was a good ol' boy in the worst meaning of the term. I've never expected him to come to his players' defense because I don't think he has the kind of character that many fans want to ascribe to him. 

I think Shannon Sharpe is feeling himself a little too much these days. I don't disagree with what he's saying, but his delivery is extremely sanctimonious and I have a hard time believing that he'd have taken these types of stands that he's expecting of current players back when he was still playing. 

This is true, and I agree with you about JR. We rarely hear anything about these owners, but it was just interesting to me how Cam was just in controversy and the owner & local Carolina media just put him smack dab in the middle of another one. 

I also agree with you about Sharpe. While I agree with what he’s saying, I do feel Cam’s in a tough situation. It’s almost lose/lose for him. 

12 minutes ago, ECUPantherFan said:

1) JR is the boss and doesn't have to do anything he doesn't want to do.  Just like you said - he's not obligated to talk to the media or anyone else, for that matter.  It's not your call.  If he wants to fade quietly into the shadows, that's his prerogative.  

2) Maybe, just maybe, Cam and the other players "feel they have to speak" because they appreciate everything JR has done for them and for their careers.  Maybe they actually KNOW the man, and not just what the news says about him.  Maybe they're not ready to crucify the man like the angry Huddle mob so obviously is.  There are PLENTY of NFL players out there who have mastered the "no comment" answer.  The players are choosing not to do that.

Speaking of crucifying others; I hope you feel the bolded when it’s someone other than JR being attacked. Innocent until proven guilty; I hope you give others that same benefit. There’s a reason “mob mentality” is so rampart now a days...

41 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

Shannon Sharpe like many of these holier than thou's are usually the biggest hypocrites walking. 

When it comes to his friends and associates it's cool to be down with the MAN, but when someone like Cam who is his own individual and doesn't conform to the hive mentality that's when it becomes a problem.

Cam didn't come to the defense of "Massa" he stated his opinion. Shannon Sharpe has criticized Cam before for not having a loud enough voice before regarding the anthem protest, he's criticized Ray Lewis for his defense of the Ravens owner not bringing in Kaep.

My question is why hasn't he ever criticized John Elway and the Broncos ownership. They still one of the more talented defenses in league but the offense has been a mess, they have 3 mediocre Qb's who they've played musical chairs with. They could have very used the services of Qb with Kaepernick's skill set, I never heard Shannon criticize that front office once. 

But he wants to sit and throw stones, what about slave analogies again Shannon?  Glass houses indeed. 

3 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

yeah people like to pretend like they have these expectations for cam to speak because of accountability or w/e but that's never what it has been about. the "cam was wrong to leave the press conference after the super bowl" rules lawyering from so-called fans was pathetic. richardson skates in these same peoples minds because his lawyers told him not to talk? foh. that's a lack of accountability. richardson is more concerned with covering his own ass than he is holding himself to the standards to which he holds others and people are quick to excuse it because they say he's not ~obligated~ to speak. maybe he's not obligated by contract but he certainly faces a moral obligation to speak. but, like the coward he is, he hides while his employees face consequences for his own actions. i really dislike cam's comments on this but he shouldn't have to speak on it at all. richardson should hold himself accountable for his own actions.

THIS.

Archived