• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Will Begin Conducting GM Interviews This Week

bobsfoodbasics

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

We went 11-5 because Cam Newton willed us to it. Our secondary is COMPLETE garbage and we have one of the worst LT's in the league protecting Cams blindside. I don't even want to talk about Gman letting Ginn go for Sheppard. Gettleman left this team with A LOT of holes.

Ah yes, it's all because of Cam. Except when we lose and then it's anybody else's fault but his.

Thanks for confirming where you're at, dude.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's about winning. Nothing else matters.

We did it more consistently with Gettleman than we did with Hurney, even with all the effort you are making to try to blame Hurney's failures on someone else and give him credit for other people's successes.

I don't know what happened to you, dude. You used to be better than this.

it is about winning but I know that 2009 and 2010 aren't just Hurneys fault, he did what JR told him to do. 

Jr didn't care about the quality of the product on the field he was trying to prove a point to NFL players that owners didn't need over priced vets and then flipped that when he lost in the lockout and had Hurney over pay his own players to save face. 

Not absolving Hurney of all the blame because he drafted horribly those three years and that lead to the youth movement being really horrible at 2-14. 

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Ah yes, it's all because of Cam. Except when we lose and then it's anybody else's fault but his.

Thanks for confirming where you're at, dude.

That's not at all what I said. However, replace Cam with any number of other QB's and we don't have a winning record. He was our leading rusher for crying out loud. Why can't you admit Gettleman made mistakes? It's really weird man. 

6 minutes ago, The Natural said:

That's not at all what I said. However, replace Cam with any number of other QB's and we don't have a winning record. He was our leading rusher for crying out loud. Why can't you admit Gettleman made mistakes? It's really weird man. 

Gettleman did make mistakes. Every GM does (Belichick can be an awful drafter sometimes). They're not what you think they are, though.

But even with the mistakes, he was still twice the GM that Marty Hurney even imagines he is, and it's not even close.

24 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Could the fact that Cam led the team in rushing be related to the fact that he had no #1 WR because super Marty traded him during a playoff run?  Regardless of how it turned out, you do not do that.   Marty is an idiot.  What about this draft:  Jimmy Clausen, Brandon Lafell, Armanti Edwards, Eric Norwood...."

Just making another point to jump in...messing around. To your point, all GMs make a mistake, but you grade a draft in year 3 and you are bashing he last 2 drafts.  I expect Moton, Samuel, Hall, to play a lot next season.   Bradberry and Worley?  They were drafted to be zone CBs, but we blitzed every play last year.  Puts pressure on the CBs.  Hope we get a new one.  Marty will bring back Jeff Otah, Everette Brown, and Dwayne Jarrett.

3 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Could the fact that Cam led the team in rushing be related to the fact that he had no #1 WR because super Marty traded him during a playoff run?  Regardless of how it turned out, you do not do that.   Marty is an idiot.  What about this draft:  Jimmy Clausen, Brandon Lafell, Armanti Edwards, Eric Norwood...."

Just making another point to jump in...messing around. To your point, all GMs make a mistake, but you grade a draft in year 3 and you are bashing he last 2 drafts.  I expect Moton, Samuel, Hall, to play a lot next season.   Bradberry and Worley?  They were drafted to be zone CBs, but we blitzed every play last year.  Puts pressure on the CBs.  Hope we get a new one.  Marty will bring back Jeff Otah, Everette Brown, and Dwayne Jarrett.

Trading KB made the offense more explosive and dynamic more times then not. KB isn't a #1 and wasn't a #1 on this team. He was a X receiver with a limited route tree similar to that of Funchess. Playing an X and a Z with the same route tree limitations is stupid but drafting them to play at the same time is just as bad. 

Funchess can be a X receiver but the team really needs a Z type wr with Samuel or McCaffrey in the slot. 

3 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Trading KB made the offense more explosive and dynamic more times then not. KB isn't a #1 and wasn't a #1 on this team. He was a X receiver with a limited route tree similar to that of Funchess. Playing an X and a Z with the same route tree limitations is stupid but drafting them to play at the same time is just as bad. 

Funchess can be a X receiver but the team really needs a Z type wr with Samuel or McCaffrey in the slot. 

The notion that the Benjamin trade made the offense better has already been debunked. We had some lousy offensive output down the stretch, enough that our OC got deservedly fired (finally).

But hey, as long as you're defending Hurney, you may as well take a shot at defending Shula too.

This franchise is a clown show. Why are they looking for a GM when we don't even have an owner? Jerry is determined to leave us with one last awful decision.

Marty should be the interim GM until a new ownership is brought in and then should be immediately banned from Bank of America Stadium. 

19 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The notion that the Benjamin trade made the offense better has already been debunked. We had some lousy offensive output down the stretch, enough that our OC got deservedly fired (finally).

But hey, as long as you're defending Hurney, you may as well take a shot at defending Shula too.

Not defending Shula at all, trading KB was the right move to make. The team liked Funchess more, the team was easier to defend with KB on the field then off of it. 

Oh it has.... hmm strange then why the team averaged more then 8 points more after the trade even with all the injuries to the WRs set to play the Z. Shula sucked as an OC though so no need to argue on his behalf. 

I'm defending Hurney because most of this board has Gettleman colored glasses on and can't see the truth that he was just as bad as a GM as Hurney but was gifted a brilliant core of players and still couldn't deliver back to back winning seasons because of his ego and that Ego got him fired. Point blank simple. 

20 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Not defending Shula at all, trading KB was the right move to make. The team liked Funchess more, the team was easier to defend with KB on the field then off of it. 

Oh it has.... hmm strange then why the team averaged more then 8 points more after the trade even with all the injuries to the WRs set to play the Z. Shula sucked as an OC though so no need to argue on his behalf. 

I'm defending Hurney because most of this board has Gettleman colored glasses on and can't see the truth that he was just as bad as a GM as Hurney but was gifted a brilliant core of players and still couldn't deliver back to back winning seasons because of his ego and that Ego got him fired. Point blank simple. 

Point blank opinion, and one that takes a lot of illogical gymnastics to justify.

Hurney had that same core, and the same coaching staff. Why didn't he win with them? And no it's not because of Jerry Richardson because he still owns the team.

Your prior statements have made it pretty clear that it's about emotions for you, not winning.  With that mindset, I can understand why you support keeping Hurney. Heck, that'd be an argument in favor of keeping Jerry Richardson.

16 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Point blank opinion, and one that takes a lot of illogical gymnastics to justify.

Hurney had that same core, and the same coaching staff. Why didn't he win with them? And no it's not because of Jerry Richardson because he still owns the team.

Your prior statements have made it pretty clear that it's about emotions for you, not winning.  With that mindset, I can understand why you support keeping Hurney. Heck, that'd be an argument in favor of keeping Jerry Richardson.

One had the core young, the other got them in coming into their prime. Stop being stupid. Both GMs are bad, how many of those games did we lose because of Ron’s poor decision making. Once he and Cam got better and Luke took hold of the defense we got better. That would have happpend with or without Hurney. 

8 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

One had the core young, the other got them in their coming into their prime. Stop being stupid. Both GMs are bad, how many of those games did we lose because of Ron’s poor decision making. Once he and Cam got better and Luke took hold of the defense we got better. That would have happpend with or without Hurney. 

But it didn't happen with Hurney, did it?

It happened instantly as soon as Gettleman took over and started remaking the roster.

There were basically about 9 or 10 months between the time that Hurney was fired and the time that players first took the field after Gettleman took over. I guess our young players aged five years or so in that time.

Funny how that worked, huh?

25 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

But it didn't happen with Hurney, did it?

It happened instantly as soon as Gettleman took over and started remaking the roster.

There were basically about 9 or 10 months between the time that Hurney was fired and the time that players first took the field after Gettleman took over. I guess our young players aged five years or so in that time.

Funny how that worked, huh?

He won three times in 5 years and I don't completely give him credit for 2017 but I'll count it for him. 

Since hurney made the moves for Parlady, Gano, Seymour, Clay, Jarius Byrd, and the KB trade. I'd say he had a handprint on the season. 

My only point hasn't been necessarily defending Hurney it's been to point out that Gettleman wasn't that much better of a GM then Hurney. We shall see when Gettleman gets a few more years into it for the Giants and see. 

Archived