• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Catscratchreader has us dumpster diving for free agent receivers

GoobyPls

Time to start seeing the big picture. Some of us tend to treat free agency as if our entire cap figure can be applied to the one position being discussed.  If we do not re-sign Norwell and Star and if we cut Sheperd, Stew, Ryan Kalil, and CJ, we have about $30m.  With that $30m, we will need to sign four or five key free agents.

I think we spend our cap figure on maybe WR, S, CB, and/or DE.  We are not signing Murray (DE) or Landry (WR), but there are some hidden gems at WR we could bring in for about $6-8m.  Look for good WRs in systems that were not overly productive. 

Paul Richardson turns only 26 in April. He has lots of potential - he caught 44 passes for 703 yards and six touchdowns in 2017

Jordan Matthews did not fare well in his first season in Buffalo. He caught 25 passes before getting knocked out for the year with injuries. Perhaps Matthews can bounce back in a better offense next year.

Donte Moncrief proved that he was just a byproduct of Andrew Luck's elite passing, as he really struggled without him in 2017. However, he still has some potential, and at 25, he has time to improve.

Wallace is my biggest fear.  My preference is Richardson.  If you ask me, I think we need an impact player but can't afford a superstar.  Samuel must step up.  If we find a RB or two in the draft (a good draft for RB), we can use CMC more in the passing game.  No need to overspend here.  Funchess has improved each year and will be in a contract year.

The free agent WR market is kind of thin anyway. I suspect we are going to have to overspend to get some of the guys most of the Huddle is pining over. Given the potentially tough cap situation we are facing, seems more logical to dumpster dive or draft a WR than overspend on a guy that might prove to be another Matt Kalil level mistake(Gettlemagic!). 

I still don't necessarily think we have to completely overhaul our WR corps. Funchess, Samuels and Byrd are serviceable. I think we just need to add a more consistent WR and possibly another deep threat, as well. If you can get that in a single package, great. If not, find something in free agency and/or the draft. Keep in mind, breaking the bank on a WR isn't going to help us with the dramatic overhaul in the secondary that is sorely needed, the defensive line replacements that are likely to happen, the new offensive lineman that will need to be acquired and the other roster moves that are still obvious(LB, TE, back up QB, etc).

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Time to start seeing the big picture. Some of us tend to treat free agency as if our entire cap figure can be applied to the one position being discussed.  If we do not re-sign Norwell and Star and if we cut Sheperd, Stew, Ryan Kalil, and CJ, we have about $30m.  With that $30m, we will need to sign four or five key free agents.

I think we spend our cap figure on WR, S, and maybe CB or DE.  We are not signing Murray (DE) or Landry (WR), but there are some hidden gems at WR we could bring in for about $6-8m.  Look for good WRs in systems that were not overly productive. 

Paul Richardson turns only 26 in April. He has lots of potential - he caught 44 passes for 703 yards and six touchdowns in 2017

Jordan Matthews did not fare well in his first season in Buffalo. He caught 25 passes before getting knocked out for the year with injuries. Perhaps Matthews can bounce back in a better offense next year.

Donte Moncrief proved that he was just a byproduct of Andrew Luck's elite passing, as he really struggled without him in 2017. However, he still has some potential, and at 25, he has time to improve.

Wallace is my biggest fear.  My preference is Richardson.  If you ask me, I think we need an impact player but can't afford a superstar.  Samuel must step up.  If we find a RB or two in the draft (a good draft for RB), we can use CMC more in the passing game.  No need to overspend here.  Funchess has improved each year and will be in a contract year.

I would caution you about most Russell Wilson WR's. As an NC State fan, I saw him make some bum-ass WR's look stellar and he did the same when he got to Wisconsin. I don't think I like the idea of handing Richardson a $6-8 million contract.

Catscratch is a fan site, and he simply is playing it safe, and predicting that the franchise does what it generally does, and not over spend in free agency. 

That will always frustrate most fans, because if we ain't taking risk, and spending big, we'll never be successful. 

It works so well all the time!

1 hour ago, The Huddler said:

Finding value for your dollar..

wow what a fugin stupid thing to do. 

I need to go buy $10 gallon of milk because i just really need THAT milk in my fridge

Nope you get the best milk with out overpaying instead of cheap expired or watered down milk that'll give you the runs and have the family complaining about it later

1 hour ago, The Huddler said:

I have $10 to make tacos. Recipe has like 6-7 incredients. 

Im not going to go out and buy the expensive ground meat and have $2 to get the rest of the indredients with

that poo wont fly

some of you are that guy that goes out with $10 and come back with fuged up sshit and your wife hates you and sleeps with her boss. 

Funny that we have to simplify this by using food metaphors.  However, it would be wrong the exclude the mouth breathers.  You are exactly right. 

Archived