• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers releasing K Coleman according to Rapoport

Captain Obvious

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I just wonder if this Boston talk has any real teeth or if it's just pure speculation? Sounds like pretty much just speculation at this point.

Boston was supposed to be the guy behind a proposed protest that was nixed by Jerry Richardson.

Not so sure they'd take him back.

6 minutes ago, YoungPanthers89 said:

Lol yeah why would we cut the 37 year old safety to save $2.1 million when the entire point is to get faster in the defensive backfield that would be stupid

But if he played better than his younger but still un-athletic counterpart.... 

We need 2 safeties so adams replacement will come from FA and the draft as well but his leadership was kept around at cheaper rate 

11 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Alright, I chuckled.

Look man, if it were up to me I would have given DG one more season to right the ship because he did do some indisputable good here and I liked a number of his moves. But considering we are both Panthers fans who have been through the ringer that is failure after failure at the worst times with this franchise, we should both be able to agree there should be no excuses for gaffes the last two years that have unequivocally hindered the team. One step forward followed by two steps back is not a recipe for sustained success.

All I can do at this point is hope that the next owner sheds this good old boy conservative 1950's approach and we get a quality GM down the line. I don't see Hurney lasting beyond 2020 no matter what either way.

this is post-gettleman carolina. i don’t even acknowledge this being a hurney era bc he should’ve never been brought back in. we could’ve gone in a new direction and then it wouldn’t have been so blatantly obvious that our snowflake team owner fired his GM over clashes between their personalities. maybe it was a conflict of traditional authority vs rational legal authority, maybe jerry thinks GMs should be softer when faced with the prospect of giving money away bc once that contract is signed, the guaranteed money and the portions of that figure that are prorated over the life of the contract are gone and you’re never ever getting that poo back so you better do it right. 

not all of gettleman’s moves were outstanding or even good, i mean he brought in cason and that guy turned out to be a walking shitshow at CB, but he did it while the panthers were in a real cap hell. idk if you remember but when all those blockbuster contract extensions were signed in 2011, there were all these reports about the gravity of the cap implications, and about how the panthers backloaded these deals so extensively that a significant portion of our cap would be getting more and more comically apportioned to a limited amount of players, finally climaxing in 2015. jerry has tolerated immense amounts of incompetency in the past. and history has shown that we can do a lot worse with marty hurney. this isn’t about redemption, this is about the panthers regressing to their old ways. at least the organizational ideology is likely to be totally nuked once this team is sold to someone who’s not a drooling twat.

marty hurney is to me a guy who is totally unqualified for this level of administration. he doesn’t talk in depth, he doesn’t articulate about Xs and Os. i honestly don’t think he has much evaluation ability. he probably leans on the scouts and uses the “eyeball test” when watching all 22 film. he’s horrible at finding value in free agency, and due to his symbiosis with jerry richardson’s prime directives, it’s probably impossible to completely separate the two. they worked in tandem to bring mediocrity to the panthers for years between richardson’s compulsion to lavish first round picks with big extensions and marty’s harebrained attempts to bring excitement through the draft, and piss poor attempts at filling gaping holes (like the one at both DT positions that started going back to at least 2008 and lasted until 2012). i was sick of it by 2009.

in contrast, here’s an article on newsday where gettleman went over player evaluation:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/gettleman-quarterbacks-1.16962883

“Obviously you get some of these guys with the spread systems,” he said. “There are six things that a lot of these kids have never done that, to me, is Quarterback 101 through 106.”

Gettleman rattled them off: Making a huddle call, identifying a mike linebacker, making a protection call, taking a snap from center, calling an audible and throwing a hot route.

It’s not only quarterbacks who are handicapped by the spread offenses, by the way.

“The offensive linemen are guys who have been in two-point stances their whole lives, that’s a big adjustment,” Gettleman said. “There are secondary guys who went to colleges that played either press man or zone so now they have to figure out the other half. So you have a lot of that stuff. Wide receivers with limited route trees. There are wide receivers that come out that for basically their whole college career have run three routes in these systems. You talk about the learning curve and the ability to do it. That’s why I’m so into how football smart is he, how much natural football intelligence does he have?”

he drips with football knowledge and he’s saying this in press conferences and soundbytes and it doesn’t even go over a fraction of a fraction of what he knows. not only that, but he’s a tenacious negotiator in free agency, and got more value than hurney ever could. does it make a worse GM if this guy can lock up kawann for 80 million, when we know if it was hurney he would’ve signed him to some ridiculous record breaking deal north of 100 mil probably for the same length of time? if you can find a GM that can do those things, we can move on from this as a fanbase. it could’ve been done now. it could’ve been lake dawson or jimmy raye III, but we all know those guys were basically brought in to tour the stadium and admire richardson’s statue he laughably had installed for himself and not really to be evaluated to find the best option so we can move this team forward, away from the inconsistencies that have been plaguing us for the longest time. you don’t hire the old guy back when you’re making a concerted effort to get this team evolving.

whatever imprint gettleman left on this team due to his tenure, that is nonetheless indellible and even with hurney back it’s like we’re remixing the late 00s/early 10s panthers with a twist of maturation. the layer mixing might be a bit better and some of the instruments might sound a bit updated but it’s still the same shitty melody. hurney revival is not something i will ever trust to improve the team bc it was never intended to improve the team. it’s like 90s revival but instead of giving us a rush of nostalgia, it’s going to give us a rush of asthma.

2 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

this is post-gettleman carolina. i don’t even acknowledge this being a hurney era bc he should’ve never been brought back in. we could’ve gone in a new direction and then it wouldn’t have been so blatantly obvious that our snowflake team owner fired his GM over clashes between their personalities. maybe it was a conflict of traditional authority vs rational legal authority, maybe jerry thinks GMs should be softer when faced with the prospect of giving money away bc once that contract is signed, the guaranteed money and the portions of that figure that are prorated over the life of the contract are gone and you’re never ever getting that poo back so you better do it right. 

not all of gettleman’s moves were outstanding or even good, i mean he brought in cason and that guy turned out to be a walking shitshow at CB, but he did it while the panthers were in a real cap hell. idk if you remember but when all those blockbuster contract extensions were signed in 2011, there were all these reports about the gravity of the cap implications, and about how the panthers backloaded these deals so extensively that a significant portion of our cap would be getting more and more comically apportioned to a limited amount of players, finally climaxing in 2015. jerry has tolerated immense amounts of incompetency in the past. and history has shown that we can do a lot worse with marty hurney. this isn’t about redemption, this is about the panthers regressing to their old ways. at least the organizational ideology is likely to be totally nuked once this team is sold to someone who’s not a drooling twat.

marty hurney is to me a guy who is totally unqualified for this level of administration. he doesn’t talk in depth, he doesn’t articulate about Xs and Os. i honestly don’t think he has much evaluation ability. he probably leans on the scouts and uses the “eyeball test” when watching all 22 film. he’s horrible at finding value in free agency, and due to his symbiosis with jerry richardson’s prime directives, it’s probably impossible to completely separate the two. they worked in tandem to bring mediocrity to the panthers for years between richardson’s compulsion to lavish first round picks with big extensions and marty’s harebrained attempts to bring excitement through the draft, and piss poor attempts at filling gaping holes (like the one at both DT positions that started going back to at least 2008 and lasted until 2012). i was sick of it by 2009.

in contrast, here’s an article on newsday where gettleman went over player evaluation:

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/gettleman-quarterbacks-1.16962883

I don't think anyone here would try to argue that Gettleman lacked the intellectual chops and extensive background in all things football. Look how many years he's been in this. Of course he lives and breathes football. We've all seen the press conferences and the sound bytes. He is a guy who commands attention with his presence, he has charisma. But unfortunately that can be good and bad. Which leads to discussion of his ego. I think most of the bad from the Gettleman era stemmed directly from his penchant to be the smartest guy in the room, to the detriment of himself and the franchise.

With all this in mind it should be unsurprising to anyone familiar with the team that Dave and a curmudgeon like Jerry who asked people to refer to him as "mister" finally had enough of each other.

As for Hurney, not much needs to be said. He shouldn't be GM. We could do worse I guess if we're looking at a team like the Browns or other bottom feeders, but we could do a lot better.

I'm just hoping that the core we still have in place can maybe drag this team to the postseason again.

Archived