• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

FA CB - Ross Cockrell

Soul Rebel

22 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

I've been banging the Delvin Breaux/ E.J. Gaines drum for us, but a guy that I feel would be an excellent addition is a hometown kid, Ross Cockrell.

1229-Cockrell-Center1.jpg.5c504761a03110e8fe78c269cccc499e.jpg

6'0"   191lbs.  26 years old  

4.56 40 - 36.5" Vert. - 122 Broad - 29 7/8 arms

We were all big fans of the Breeland signing prior to his DR foot demise. In comparing the measurables and background of Cockrell and Breeland, I see a similar player on the brink of being a tough CB to go up against. 

Breeland was 5'11, 195, same age, from South Carolina....ran a 4.6 40, 34.5" Vert, 123 Broad, and has 31" arms at the combine. 

Their 2017 stats......

Cockrell: 50 total tackles - 37 solo - 11 pass defended - 3 INTs - 0TD

Breeland: 50 total tackles - 37 solo - 19 pass defended - 1 INTs - 1TD

I do think Breeland is the better corner in that he has an alpha-mentality. His confidence shows on the field and his abilities to break up passes and create turnovers is superior to Cockrell.

However, Cockrell came on strong at the end of 2017 for the Giants and was the CB1 (due to injury). When given the chance he stepped up big and is flexible enough to play inside if need be, though he is much better outside. 

With what's left on the market, I do think Cockrell is being overlooked. He presents value, as he would be much cheaper than Breeland was and at only 26, was really starting to breakthrough with the Giants last year. I've seen a few places where NYG fans thought he performed better and want him more than Eli Apple. 

In the below article, they show his ratings in a lot of important DB metrics as being near the top of all CBs in the NFL. It also says that he is better suited for a zone-heavy scheme and that his intelligence and instincts would play to his strengths in this environment, rather than a man-heavy D.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/12/28/16822814/spotlight-player-cb-ross-cockrell-has-been-an-underrated-star-in-the-giants-secondary  

For PFF fans, Cockrell had a 81.6 grade and was ranked #39 amongst CBs. Breeland was at 79 and #54, respectively.

I assume he could be had for much less than what we were going to pay Breeland, and could be a gem that thrives here opposite Bradberry. Spend the money saved on a safety like Eric Reid, Kenny Vaccaro or maybe Ron Parker and then draft a complimentary safety in the first two rounds. 

TL;DR version: Cockrell is young, similar to Breeland in untapped potential and better than Worley, while being had on the cheap. 

Op are u a wizard 

24 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Op are u a wizard 

Hehe... Just a guy that would give his left......and maybe my right nut to work in the Panthers front office. Called the Breeland signing prior to FA in an article that I posted over at Panthers Wire too.

1 hour ago, Soul Rebel said:

Thanks for the love guys. 

I'm so stoked that we got him and glad we don't have to look CB at 24. Our boundaries are set st CB and now we just need to get that SAF in the draft.

Now I wouldn't say all that.. Competition at that spot is a good thing.. 

Archived