• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are QB mechanics really that important? A lesson from Packers QB coach Steve Mariucci that still applies now.

Saca312

14 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yes, Cam is an excellent pocket passer when he stays on top of his mechanics. Yes, you're being a blind nut hugger.

Welp time for me to show evidence and get slandered for "cherry-picking gifs" yet again instead of posting every Cam throw, but I'll try again anyways.

Welp Cam Newton throws off his backfoot in a condensed pocket and throws a strike to Olsen. Shoot, he clearly was bad at feeling pressure and timing with his throw and isn't a good pocket passer with his poor mechanics.

5ac17475f1598_CamNewton13.gif.89085987b6421b5b0dd8b4ea6bf37faa.gif

Oh whelp. Look at him throw off his back-foot as he throws a beautiful deep pass to (rip) Ted Ginn for a touchdown from a clean pocket. Pathetic pocket passer.

5ac1757d37c27_CamNewton21.gif.3dfbc88f3c823495b3282f86be097b4b.gif

Not stepping up in your throws again? Come on Cam Newton. With a collapsing pocket? Should've stepped up in his throw like every other generic QB does. Bad pocket passer.

Cam_Newton_24.gif.ca2a0591585a2d1d7b21539df26920c1.gif

Crap. Cam Newton has a Falcon blitzing right at him and has to throw off his back-foot. Man, a pathetic pocket passer really.

5ac174f282590_CamNewton9.gif.001d88b5efe1e0b6477c9306eff3bf5b.gif

Man, maybe there is some truth when Brett Favre's QB coach said mechanics don't matter more-so than a QB's ability to adapt and throw in any situation. And I can definitely tell you Cam's been through some rough situations and adapted beautifully

But I'm just a delusional blind nut-hugger who clearly knows nothing about football.

also pls note the part where it says norv turner isn't changing cam and really only helping when it comes to easing the scheme from high-difficulty throws to easier ones in terms of read progression.

so once again, cam won't be changing, simply because he doesn't have to. he's fine as is, and if Norv Turner recognizes that, I believe that Cam truly doesn't need to have the most 'sound' mechanics to be successful.

2 minutes ago, Still Brooklyn said:

So the point of this thread is that Cam is a great QB, haters gonna hate, and you feel the need to prove it ...

GOING INTO HIS EIGHTH YEAR.

Good god.

Which makes it even more astounding this discussion still is the same narrative since day 1: the supposed necessity mechanics are for Cam Newton.

Despite him winning MVP. Despite him single-handedly leading us to a Superbowl when we had an above average O-line and stayed healthy. Despite this being his 8th NFL season, he's chalked up by many fans - even Panthers fans - as someone who generally is a better runner than passer and still needs to work on his mechanics.

In his eighth year. Despite having plenty of success with poor mechanics in the past.

Yet guys like Phillip Rivers get a pass for their mechanics and are recognized as HoF caliber QBs, yet Cam isn't just because he also has this amazing ability to run, which supposedly worsens his standing as a QB.

Welp.

38 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Welp time for me to show evidence and get slandered for "cherry-picking gifs" yet again instead of posting every Cam throw, but I'll try again anyways.

Welp Cam Newton throws off his backfoot in a condensed pocket and throws a strike to Olsen. Shoot, he clearly was bad at feeling pressure and timing with his throw and isn't a good pocket passer with his poor mechanics.

5ac17475f1598_CamNewton13.gif.89085987b6421b5b0dd8b4ea6bf37faa.gif

Oh whelp. Look at him throw off his back-foot as he throws a beautiful deep pass to (rip) Ted Ginn for a touchdown from a clean pocket. Pathetic pocket passer.

5ac1757d37c27_CamNewton21.gif.3dfbc88f3c823495b3282f86be097b4b.gif

Not stepping up in your throws again? Come on Cam Newton. With a collapsing pocket? Should've stepped up in his throw like every other generic QB does. Bad pocket passer.

Cam_Newton_24.gif.ca2a0591585a2d1d7b21539df26920c1.gif

Crap. Cam Newton has a Falcon blitzing right at him and has to throw off his back-foot. Man, a pathetic pocket passer really.

5ac174f282590_CamNewton9.gif.001d88b5efe1e0b6477c9306eff3bf5b.gif

Man, maybe there is some truth when Brett Favre's QB coach said mechanics don't matter more-so than a QB's ability to adapt and throw in any situation. And I can definitely tell you Cam's been through some rough situations and adapted beautifully

But I'm just a delusional blind nut-hugger who clearly knows nothing about football.

Yes, you're cherry picking gifs per usual. There would be no shortage of gifs available of Cam sailing the ball over open receivers heads. And no, honestly you don't know much about football. Sorry to be quite frank about that, but honestly you make it pretty obvious.

Three QB's with damn near flawless mechanics that come to mind:

Brees, Brady, and Manning. All time greats. 

Mechanics are important for when you get older and your body starts breaking down. Everyone talks about the wall that Brees/Brady are going to hit but it still isn't happening. Sure they don't have the same zip that they used to, but they are smart and they have great mechanics. 

I'm honestly terrified for when Cam's athleticism starts to fade. Father time will hit him hard because he doesn't have good mechanics to fall back on. All the ridiculous throws that he was once able to hit on the run won't be there anymore. And with all the hits he takes, I'm afraid that time is coming sooner rather than later. 

37 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yes, you're cherry picking gifs per usual. There would be no shortage of gifs available of Cam sailing the ball over open receivers heads. And no, honestly you don't know much about football. Sorry to be quite frank about that, but honestly you make it pretty obvious.

That obvious point sails over his head...

39 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Lmao.

15 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Mechanics are important for when you get older and your body starts breaking down.

That’s fair, but Phillip Rivers is also your counter example to the question. Heck, even Brett Favre to an extent. 

One thing that’s consistent with these older QBs has generally been a solid scheme surrounding them and/or solid weapons towards the backend of their respective careers. While sure, Tom Brady an abnormality in it of himself with his deep balls still being effective, most these other QBs get graced with a solid run game, intermediate/simplified schemes not asking for deep shots, and great surrounding casts.

As for Phillip Rivers, his mechanics are still hardly conventional, yet he plays at a high level. He’s getting up there in age, but mechanics are the least of his worries at suxfess currently.

I get that mechanics and solid footwork help a lot of QBs for good reason, but I’m against the idea it’s a necessary science. Cam Newton is unconventional, yet he plays at an elite level. While you could argue he won’t be throwing deep monsters in the future (which most QBs with aging arms aren’t able to in the first place), he should by then have a better supporting cast and scheme to help ease his transition to that phase of being a QB. I don’t think mechanics are absolutely necessary.

It’s not a question of CAN Cam make every throw from just about any angle or throwing position..he can and does because he is a world class athlete. Rather it is a question of simple physics. There is a proper way to throw an object given the design of the human body .be it a football, baseball, snowball. Whatever..it’s all basically the same motion . And we can all agree Cam isn’t the best at using that throwing motion consistently. 

Cam is more inconsistent in his accuracy than at least 10-15 other starting QBs and that’s a problem that should work the be corrected. Cam overall is great when you include his running and big plays but if you took that away completely he’d be average at best as a passer.

He has the all the potential in the world to be one of the best passers in the league but (in my opinion) coaching and lack of authority figures to push him held him back in that regard drastically since he got into the league. Hopefully the Turners can change that then we can see unprecedented play at the QB position and 2015 type play consistently. 

29 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Hopefully the Turners can change that then we can see unprecedented play at the QB position and 2015 type play consistently. 

In all fairness 2015 was probably #2 or 3 overall in terms of his passing ability years while 2017 would be second (despite extreme inconsistencies) and 2016 first (despite statistical degradation). In terms of pure passing, I thought Cam showed his best as he earned more years to his experience, but that being said he’s been elite level during all those years. 2015 was probably his more consistent overall, but 2017 had bouts where he clearly took his passing game to the next level (Patriots, Lions, Saints #2 and #3) while he had those dang complete duds. 2016 was more him starting off amazing but tampering off when his shoulder got hurt + supporting cast being bad.

I think offensive consistency was the key factor in 2015. We finally had a decent o-line and we barely had any injuries. With that, Cam was able to perform at his peak best and get solid momentum going throughout the whole season. 

Norv Turner’s a nice breath of fresh air. I loved his comments how he won’t change what makes Cam Cam, and I’m sure that includes mechanics. Sure, he’ll try and refine a few areas that would best benefit Cam but I doubt he’d force a full drastic change over one-offseason. That’s like learning a song on the piano one way and being told to change fingerings/playing technique in one week. Hard stuff.

I like how Norv wants to limit the high percentage difficulty throws to more easier ones in Cam’s progressions. Shula kept trying to force Cam into a hard role of hitting downfield shots, but it appears Norv wants to change that. While I’m sure he’ll implement his air coryell to an extent, it’s to where he’ll mold it around Cam and understand the flow.

I just want Cam to have a consistent cast around him and a season with little injuries. Once that happens, I’m sure both improvement and possibly the Superbowl will follow.

Archived