• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Are QB mechanics really that important? A lesson from Packers QB coach Steve Mariucci that still applies now.

Saca312

You hear it all the time.

"Cam Newton have terrible mechanics blah blah blah"

Well, Cam Newton is certainly the cover story of unconventional mechanics. Throwing off his back foot, relying on his arm too much, and inconsistent footwork, most QB crazed gurus would freak at the sight of his unorthodox style.

Heck, even fans nowadays are up at arms thinking he needs to change it up going into his eighth season. They still believe he's not a pocket QB, nor is he able to accurately throw a football.

While yes, there's no mistaking he had a pretty extreme year in accuracy last year considering the amount of injuries he sustained and the diminishing quality of his WR corps. However, I dare also argue that Cam still is one of the better pocket passers in the league, despite his inconsistent mechanics. In fact, it's because of his mechanics that he's as good as he is when he's healthy and at his best.

Are QB mechanics really that necessary? Is such a thing imperative for a successful QB?

No, QB Mechanics Are Not Necessary

Well, I'm here to put it plainly - QB mechanics are a scam. 

The idea that a QB is able to maintain perfect form, footwork, and posture with every throw is about as laughable as expecting experian to fully scan every corner of the dark web. I mean honestly, when you have massive bodies of aliens grunting and smashing at each other right in front of you and only have a few seconds to even read and throw, would you honestly expect perfect form in every throw?

QB mechanics is essentially this myth of the "proper" posture, footwork, and throw a QB should make in any given situation. Supposedly, it helps maximize efficiency, accuracy, and rhythm. However, in today's NFL and past, it simply isn't that feasible.

Heck, if you don't believe me, just ask Brett Favre's QB coach Steve Mariucci. From 1992 to 1995, he was given the job of teaching Brett Favre how to play QB and nurturing his monstrous cannon of an arm. 

At first, he was like any other QB coach, admitting to drill in the typical fundamentals of a five-step drop back, hitch and throw. However, this time, Mike Holmgren gave Mariucci a challenge. He asks him to chart just how often quarterbacks actually throw the 'correct way.'

So, that year, Steve Mariucci did just that. Charting Favre's throws, he analyzes just how often he had that 'perfect form' and good qb mechanics.

The results were rather surprising. Out of every throw Favre threw, only 24 percent were done with proper QB mechanics. That means on most of his throws, he displayed poor mechanics/form on 76 percent of them. 

But what makes this even more surprising? Mike Holmgren simply considers this a really good number. He remembers his prior time in San Francisco when he did this experiment himself, where his QB was only adequate on 19 percent of his throws. 

Those are really low numbers for something that should supposedly be fundamental and necessary in every QB.

The point they simply make is that fundamental throw, much akin to a pitcher throwing off the mound or a golfer hitting a nine-iron, just isn't realistic. The best ability that a QB can have is not whether they can throw a pretty ball. Simply put, it's their ability to adapt to any situation and throw the ball.

So What About It? 

Putting this all together, there's been a large narrative going around that Cam Newton needs to change his game going into his 8th season because a bunch of coach-wannabes feel his mechanics aren't good for the eyes. Footwork seems to always be lazy and inconsistent, and many dislike seeing him throw off his back-foot.

Yet, simply put, none of that matters.

I really like what Norv Turner has said recently when asked about what he'll be doing with Cam Newton. 

http://larrybrownsports.com/football/norv-turner-not-looking-to-change-cam-newtons-style-of-play/428460

“He doesn’t need changing; he just needs to be the best version of Cam Newton.”

This shows a complete understanding of who Cam Newton is as a QB. He understands Cam Newton's playing style may be unorthodox, but it's hardly hindering him at all. In fact, it's why he's so elite as a pocket passer at his best.

All that Norv really wants to focus on is decreasing the amount of high-difficulty throws that are in the scheme itself and help give Cam an easier time. That right there shows someone who knows what's up.

Cam Newton still is one of the best as a pocket passer despite the narrartives. He's one of the best at maneuvering in the pocket, avoiding defenders, and finding a way to get the ball in the receivers hands, whether they catch it or not. He may not always look like the prettiest throwing, but the end result is really all that matters, and there's certainly no doubt he's made plenty of elite throws in his career.

So, go ahead and believe your myths on QB mechanics.

I'll take Brett Favre's HoF career and his low-percentage adequate mechanics over your lazy hot-takes any day.

Perfect mechanics aren't everything, but there's a reason why coaches teach certain techniques. It's because they work. If Cam wouldn't throw off his back foot and rely on his pure arm strength so much he definitely wouldn't sail as many balls. Tom Brady doesn't have near the pure physical talent as most NFL QBs but he's arguably the greatest QB of all time in large part because his mechanics are damn near perfect.

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If Cam wouldn't throw off his back foot and rely on his pure arm strength so much he definitely wouldn't sail as many balls.

if you believe cam sails more balls than most QBs in the league i can’t help you.

1 minute ago, Saca312 said:

if you believe cam sails more balls than most QBs in the league i can’t help you.

He does. I love Cam to death, but he does. When he's on point and stepping into throws he throws as good of a ball as anyone in the league, but when he starts relying on his arm and throwing off of his back foot that's when balls start sailing 10 feet over intended receivers' heads.

7 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Nothing here to believe. Apparently LinvilleGorge watches NFL football. Try it and you'll see. NO belief required.

In all of our games they show/say exactly why it happens too....something that should be easy to fix and it's nothing like Favre improvising.

Cam also spins the same exact way every-time too now on a pass-rush and DEs seem to be noticing it and it's how he got his eye/knee hurt in our playoff game....he just spun right into it. That's the only part he needs to fix is the overthrows the premise of the OP is fine.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

He does. I love Cam to death, but he does.

Watch a few games from Alex Smith. Watch Tom Brady against the Texans and us. Heck, watch a few games from Aaron Rodgers.

Guarantee you there will be a few overthrows here and there. Cam Newton’s is awfully exaggerated because his arm’s a literal cannon, but the reality is he has his share’s of overthrows like most other QBs.

It’s an old narrative that’s about as bad as “Cam isn’t a pocket passer.” 

6 minutes ago, Fox007 said:

Nothing here to believe. Apparently LinvilleGorge watches NFL football. Try it and you'll see. NO belief required.

I watch NFL football.

Seems most here watch Cowherd or ESPN national pundits fire off their lazy takes of “Cam’s not a pocket passer” “He’ll never be a good QB with his mechanics” and “He overthrows too much.”

Despite having near the same amount of overthrows as most NFL quarterbacks anyways. 

*edit* lmao at the guy below saying using a HoF QB to show success is bad.

Just now, bababoey said:

Using Brett Fare as an example, the guy who has the most interceptions in the history of the NFL, might not be the best person to use.

Using a hall-of-fame QB is a bad example to show success from bad mechanics.

Okay.

4 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Watch a few games from Alex Smith. Watch Tom Brady against the Texans and us. Heck, watch a few games from Aaron Rodgers.

Guarantee you there will be a few overthrows here and there. Cam Newton’s is awfully exaggerated because his arm’s a literal cannon, but the reality is he has his share’s of overthrows like most other QBs.

It’s an old narrative that’s about as bad as “Cam isn’t a pocket passer.” 

Yes, every QB occasionally sails a ball. Yes, Cam tends to sail more than other top NFL QBs. Yes, Cam is an excellent pocket passer when he stays on top of his mechanics. Yes, you're being a blind nut hugger.

Archived