• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MLS to Charlotte?

jbland

I hope a MLS team comes to RDU or CLT, most definitely. And, with the concussion issues in football (not that soccer is immune with the headers), I could see it growing in popularity.  Atlanta United games do pretty well.   I am sure it would be a lot of fun. 

MLS is the first truly successful pro soccer venture in the USA in my lifetime, at least.

I do not like soccer, I think it’s a silly sport that should only be played by small children and sissy Europeans - however, I would absolutely love to see MLS brought to Charlotte under Tepper just to piss off Bruton Smith and the rest of his nascar necks. 

1 hour ago, Devil Doc said:

I don't know about soccer... I mean who even watches or plays soccer anymore? Is it even a sport? I think a Professional MLB team would bring in more revenue than soccer.

MLB is a dying sport and we have a nice AAA field uptown.

Soccer is on the come up. World Cup gets huge ratings in the US.

If Charlotte's the destination this will be Tepper's trojan horse for a new stadium, mark my words.. Not sure where that leaves the Panthers and BOA but MLS gives him a stronger case to build another one.

I'd like to see a team in the state but Raleigh or Greensboro would be my first choices. Good soccer communities in both and they would appreciate a pro sports team way more. Charlotte's got enough seats to fill at Panthers and Hornets games.

7 minutes ago, Car123 said:

MLB is a dying sport and we have a nice AAA field uptown.

Soccer is on the come up. World Cup gets huge ratings in the US.

LOL. MLB is not a dying sport. It has some problems and issues that need to be addressed but so does every other sport in the USA. It’s not as popular as it once was but it is going no where. 

USA not qualifying for WC is a substantial blow to Fox and their broadcasting revenue. Sure people are going to still watch, especially people here who are from a country that is actually playing, but I will bet with you right now that this upcoming WC will be one of the lowest rated and least viewed world cups in American history.    

4 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

If Charlotte's the destination this will be Tepper's trojan horse for a new stadium, mark my words.. Not sure where that leaves the Panthers and BOA but MLS gives him a stronger case to build another one.

I'd like to see a team in the state but Raleigh or Greensboro would be my first choices. Good soccer communities in both and they would appreciate a pro sports team way more. Charlotte's got enough seats to fill at Panthers and Hornets games.

Agree with this post 100%. You are right on the money about MLS being Tepper’s sneaky little way of introducing the idea of a new stadium. 

Personally I think soccer is stupid and don’t want it professionally in Charlotte. It’s better fit for light weight, second tier places like the triangle or anywhere in South Carolina

33 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

I'll tell you one thing about MLS (being a fan of Atlanta United FC), if you think NFL referees are bad and subjective, wait until you get a taste of MLS officiating.

tenor.gif?itemid=4718863

I’ve watched World Cup matches especially ones involving US teams. Soccer officials are terrible. Still think college basketball and NFL officiating are the worst. 

13 hours ago, ARSEN said:

Add relegations and promotions and watch the sport take off in the US.

That poo won't work here. Nobody in the U.S. cares about minor league sports, and 2nd division soccer is a minor league sport. That may play in Shrewsbury Town, but not in an American city.

If Atlanta Utd (or any other MLS team) were to get relegated, they'd be playing in an empty stadium.

21 minutes ago, djp14 said:

That poo won't work here. Nobody in the U.S. cares about minor league sports, and 2nd division soccer is a minor league sport. That may play in Shrewsbury Town, but not in an American city.

If Atlanta Utd (or any other MLS team) were to get relegated, they'd be playing in an empty stadium.

Triple A baseball teams and lower division soccer teams have decent attendance figures. Most usl teams fill up more than half of their capacity.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/usl-pro/besucherzahlen/wettbewerb/USL

1 hour ago, 4Corners said:

LOL. MLB is not a dying sport. It has some problems and issues that need to be addressed but so does every other sport in the USA. It’s not as popular as it once was but it is going no where. 

USA not qualifying for WC is a substantial blow to Fox and their broadcasting revenue. Sure people are going to still watch, especially people here who are from a country that is actually playing, but I will bet with you right now that this upcoming WC will be one of the lowest rated and least viewed world cups in American history.    

Yes, it’s a blow. Ratings will take a hit, but key games will do numbers.

Archived