• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is having a #1 WR overrated in the modern NFL?

kungfoodude

The search for a #1 WR has been a hot topic amongst Panthers fans since Steve Smith left the franchise. Dak Prescott weighed in recently in an interview and said,

"I don't know if any team in the league necessarily needs a No. 1 receiver," Prescott said via Pro Football Talk. "It's about getting the ball out, spreading the ball around, keeping the defense on its toes."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-prescott-i-dont-know-if-any-team-in-the-league-necessarily-needs-a-no-1-receiver/

The article goes on to present some examples on either side of the argument, including a blurb that mentions us as an example.

Fair enough, but having a go-to guy -- whether it's Dez Bryant or even tight end Jason Witten -- forces opponents to adjust how they defend you. Having a bunch of players who are considered second and third options makes life considerably easier on that defense.

Put another way: The Steelers without Antonio Brown are a completely different offense; same for the Texans and DeAndre Hopkins and the Falcons and Julio Jones.

The counterargument would be the 2017 Panthers; their leading receiver was running back Christian McCaffrey (80 catches) followed by wideout Devin Funchess (63) and then Kelvin Benjamin (51), who was traded midway through the season.

Admittedly, I don't think we were a great example of the point Dak is trying to make because of our previous OC and also the pile of hot garbage we had at WR for most of the season. The Patriots are a much more classic example of a true #1 WR being overrated, IMO. I tend to agree with what Prescott is saying. The trend seems to be towards having multiple pass receiving threats at wideout, TE and RB. 

Thoughts? Would you rather have an Antonio Brown/Julio Jones type #1 WR(and the expense they incur) or a stable of average to good receiving threats?

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've heard more than one analyst say that receivers are following the same trend of being devalued as runningbacks have been.

It hasn't hit that point yet because you still see large contracts being handed out to guys like Landry, Watkins, Robinson, Richardson, Lee, Wilson and Moncrief. I will be curious to see if it trends in that direction long term. 

Better to have an elite OL than a single elite WR. A decent OL and a group of #2 and 3 receivers plus a power back that can bulldoze in short yard situations is what I feel is all your offense truly needs other than a top 10 qb.

Have a OC who doesn’t have spaghetti for brains helps too.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I've heard more than one analyst say that receivers are following the same trend of being devalued as runningbacks have been.

I was about to post this exact thing. 

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

It hasn't hit that point yet because you still see large contracts being handed out to guys like Landry, Watkins, Robinson, Richardson, Lee, Wilson and Moncrief. I will be curious to see if it trends in that direction long term. 

But only two were taken in the first round this year.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I think those analysts are morons to put it quite bluntly. Career JAG WRs we’re getting $8M+ per year in free agency this year.

59 minutes ago, Asurfaholic said:

Better to have an elite OL than a single elite WR. A decent OL and a group of #2 and 3 receivers plus a power back that can bulldoze in short yard situations is what I feel is all your offense truly needs other than a top 10 qb.

Have a OC who doesn’t have spaghetti for brains helps too.

This. You see it time and time again. It’s more about spreading the ball out and utilizing specialities (etc speed to stretch the field). It’s about having an array of tools. 

However #1 elite receivers are a must...

in Madden.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I think those analysts are morons to put it quite bluntly. Career JAG WRs we’re getting $8M+ per year in free agency this year.

To the point that teams would rather pay someone with some experience, even if they're not that great, than draft an unknown with a high pick.

It's the kind of thing that affects rookies more than vets.  If you've proven you can play in the league, you have more value no matter the position.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

I don't agree though.

RBs value has dropped due to NFL rules designed to increase the ability for offense to score in games (something of which Ron Rivera ignores and, when he deigns to recognize it, HATES).

These same rules increase the value of the TRUE #1 receiver.

However (and there's always a however), a TRUE #1 isn't just picked off of the receiver tree.

A true #1 in today's NFL has to have the strength to fight off the press (and hand-fighting). the deep speed to get open down-field (WRs that specialize in the 5-10 yd catch are NOT "#1's"), and the skill to run sharp routes.

And, as I said above, those guys don't grow on trees.  

Archived