• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sugar coating RBs, CJ lead back

I think a lot of people misunderstand what CMC is.  While he can be very good between the tackles, he doesn't do it with power, he does it with vision, speed, and quickness.  

McCaffrey was not, and never will be a true power runner that will bull his way for yards.  When he is at his best, he gets the handoff and looks for a tiny crease created by the OL and explodes through it, using his shiftiness to avoid full contact by the DL and allowing him to get into the second level.  However, that's not how he was used last year.  Shula tried running him up the gut into the teeth of the defense just like he did Stewart far too often.  And the play designs often had the middle clogged with defenders as well, which also inhibited his ability to take advantage of what he does well.

This season, I expect Norv will do a better job of spreading out the defense, giving CMC enough space to operate.  I think he is also better prepared for the speed and power of the DL than he was last year...which, IMO, took him about half the season to start to figure out.  I also think all the weapons we have will help loosen things up for him.  So, generally, I expect he should be much improved as a runner from what we saw last year.  

Just now, Woodie said:

I think a lot of people misunderstand what CMC is.  While he can be very good between the tackles, he doesn't do it with power, he does it with vision, speed, and quickness.  

McCaffrey was not, and never will be a true power runner that will bull his way for yards.  When he is at his best, he gets the handoff and looks for a tiny crease created by the OL and explodes through it, using his shiftiness to avoid full contact by the DL and allowing him to get into the second level.  However, that's not how he was used last year.  Shula tried running him up the gut into the teeth of the defense just like he did Stewart far too often.  And the play designs often had the middle clogged with defenders as well, which also inhibited his ability to take advantage of what he does well.

This season, I expect Norv will do a better job of spreading out the defense, giving CMC enough space to operate.  I think he is also better prepared for the speed and power of the DL than he was last year...which, IMO, took him about half the season to start to figure out.  I also think all the weapons we have will help loosen things up for him.  So, generally, I expect he should be much improved as a runner from what we saw last year.  

I understand what he is

i just dont understand how he was number 8 in the draft   Just another questionable pick by the Panthers at that slot

just being honest. 

11 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

I understand what he is

i just dont understand how he was number 8 in the draft   Just another questionable pick by the Panthers at that slot

just being honest. 

If he becomes what he can and should become, you won't be questioning why he was taken #8 for long.  I watched a lot of him at Stanford, and I can honestly say that I believe when all is said and done, he will be regarded as the best back from last year's class, and well worth a top ten pick.  

While he may never be a 2000 yard rusher, I think he'll end up a 2000-2500 all purpose yards player for us...which any team would gladly give a top ten pick for.  And that doesn't even include how he effects the way the defense plays and reacts against us...we saw several instances last year where he pulled defenders which freed up other guys to make a play.  I'm really bullish on him, if you can't tell.  

2 minutes ago, Ship said:

I think we see a lot of opening sets with both on the field, making them both starters.

Yep.  I expect a lot of creativity which will take advantage of what both players do.  I don't think either will feel slighted at the end of the year.

3 hours ago, thefuzz said:

It would likely be time to start considering the coach a disappointment, not the player.

A "bust" doesn't catch 80 balls as a rookie.

I hope that Ron trusts Norv enough to really use CMC correctly.

We were throwing him the ball so much because A) our receivers sucked and B) our run blocking sucked.

If CMC turns out to basically be a 3rd down back, that’s a bust for a top 10 RB.

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We were throwing him the ball so much because A) our receivers sucked and B) our run blocking sucked.

If CMC turns out to basically be a 3rd down back, that’s a bust for a top 10 RB.

Yeah he needs to be getting the bulk no matter what CJ did last season.  Top 10 pick in their 2nd season needs to shine.

Archived