• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Book Recommendations

Dex

I've read the Harry Potter series, most of Tolkien and am almost caught up on Game of Thrones. I'm looking for recommendations of classics. I've read the following classics recently cause they were my dads.

• The Iliad - Homer
  • The Odyssey - Homer
  • The Divine Comedy - Dante A.
  • Utopia - Thomas More
  • The Land That Time Forgot - ER Burroughs 
  • Relativity - Albert Einstein (somewhat followed lol)

I've never read the Bible but I'm working my way up to it. I'm a big fan of Friedrich Nietzsche and other philosophical perspectives. The following books are currently en route to my apartment. Thriftbooks.com is legit!

• Moby Dick - Melville
  • Common Sense - Thomas Paine
  • The Art of War - Sun Tzu
  • A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens
  • Beyond Good & Evil - Friedrich Nietzsche

I also plan on reading The Count of Monte Cristo & East of Eden. I'll include other books I've read and thoroughly enjoyed below. 

My Recommendations

• The Club Dumas - Arturo PR (one of my all time favorites. national treasure for adults. inspired the movie The Ninth Gate.)
  • I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell - Tucker Max (guilty college days pleasure)
  • Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain (just finished it and absolutely loved it. Anthony had a very romantic way of writing but at the same time could punch you in the face with his words.)
  • Band of Brothers - Stephen E. Ambrose (one of the first books I remember reading. incredible true story that HBO & Spielberg did justice.)
  • The Gay Science - Friedrich Nietzsche (What are man's truths ultimately? Merely his irrefutable errors.)

Does anyone have an recommendations to help broaden one's mind?

If you're looking for classic contemporary fiction then you can't go wrong with the existentialism literary period. Its pretty broad but theres some pretty awesome stuff in there as the philosophy behind it is about finding meaning in life. As much as I loathed this section of literature in college because I hate literary analysis in application - and this is one of the most used periods to highlight various literary devices - I've really grown to enjoy reading it.

On 8/7/2018 at 9:23 PM, Dex said:

• I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell - Tucker Max (guilty college days pleasure)
  • Kitchen Confidential - Anthony Bourdain (just finished it and absolutely loved it. Anthony had a very romantic way of writing but at the same time could punch you in the face with his words.)
  • Band of Brothers - Stephen E. Ambrose (one of the first books I remember reading. incredible true story that HBO & Spielberg did justice.

Three of my favorites.  Kitchen Confidential is Bourdain's best, but his others are great too.  Tucker's other books were okay, but nowhere near as good as his first.

Also shout out for the Thriftbooks.com drop. I had no clue it existed, and just bought 5 hardcover Harry Potter's to complete my collection for 20 bucks. 

1 minute ago, CarolinaNCSU said:

Three of my favorites.  Kitchen Confidential is Bourdain's best, but his others are great too.  Tucker's other books were okay, but nowhere near as good as his first.

Also shout out for the Thriftbooks.com drop. I had no clue it existed, and just bought 5 hardcover Harry Potter's to complete my collection for 20 bucks. 

Thriftbooks is the poo.

15338747499221416356206505072647.thumb.jpg.78ab62fe6d9d7fb820fdd7e225711c8b.jpg

Archived