• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An Article on Christian McCaffrey, Shula's Ineptitude, and whether he can have a Todd Gurley-esque jump

Saca312

2 hours ago, bull123 said:

Spreading everyone out should certainly be more effective but really need to be cautious on pass protection

That's why I think CMC catches another 50+ balls. Even in the preseason they targeted him underneath. Also Cj Anderson was targeted like that and he is excellent pass catcher out of the backfield also.

Cam/Norv will have to get that ball out quick with an occasional deep shot or intermediate shot to Olsen.

I don't believe Gurley made a big jump.  Think the team around him made a big jump.  Allowed him to be what he was.   His rookie year it was literally opposing teams spending every snap focused on not letting Gurley do anything.   Once they had to defend any a tiny functioning pass attack...Gurley was unleashed. 

CMC will have a much better year as well once teams have to worry about the threat of plays past 10-15 yards down the field.    We didn't threaten teams last year downfield.  I mean technically we could attempt plays but defenses had no reason to respect a vertical attack and didn't.  Totally changes what defenses do and opportunities for others. 

5 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Gurley had more touches in his rookie season (250) than CMC had in his rookie season (222).

CMC had a higher average all-purpose yards per touch in his rookie season (5.9) than Gurley had in his rookie season (5.2).

So, yeah, I feel pretty confident that with competent play calling and the willingness to play offense (something I still question with Rivera), CMC can out-produce Gurley in yards and TDs if they finally treat him as the full-time starter he should be. 

Higher all purpose yards per touch ? HAHAHAHAHA

Ive seen people reach on this forum before but this is new low. I feel pretty confident knowing that Gurley was a better prospect, is currently the best RB in the nfl and will always be better than Mccaffrey. No matter the scheme and surrounding  parts 

57 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't believe Gurley made a big jump.  Think the team around him made a big jump.  Allowed him to be what he was.   His rookie year it was literally opposing teams spending every snap focused on not letting Gurley do anything.   Once they had to defend any a tiny functioning pass attack...Gurley was unleashed. 

CMC will have a much better year as well once teams have to worry about the threat of plays past 10-15 yards down the field.    We didn't threaten teams last year downfield.  I mean technically we could attempt plays but defenses had no reason to respect a vertical attack and didn't.  Totally changes what defenses do and opportunities for others. 

Did we even have any TDs of over 40 yards through the air? I seem to recall cam did take a few deep shots but very regularly they were either incompletions or didnt result in TDs. 

3 hours ago, stbugs said:

Scheme (Turner), play calling (Turner again) and weapons. There isn’t a person alive who can say we aren’t far more talented on offense due to injuries (Olsen, Samuel and Byrd) and new faces (Thomas, Moore, Smith, Wright and CJ). It’s almost comical to think that Norwell had a bigger impact than the 8 players I just listed and I loved Norwell and would love to have him back. I certainly wouldn’t want him back over those 8. 

You're right, our offense as a whole is better than last year. Our receiving corps and RB's have been upgraded. I misread your post to mean that the o-line was better than last year, my bad. 

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

Ive seen people reach on this forum before but this is new low. I feel pretty confident knowing that Gurley was a better prospect, is currently the best RB in the nfl and will always be better than Mccaffrey. No matter the scheme and surrounding  parts 

Gurley was garbage in his second season due to poor qb and blocking so surrounding parts count 

3 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Ive seen people reach on this forum before but this is new low.

I'm assuming you are a member of the group that believes that, as a QB, Cam Newton's rushing yards and rushing TDs "don't count".

Either that or you're a terrible hypocrite.

3 hours ago, Mikey818 said:

Gurley was garbage in his second season due to poor qb and blocking so surrounding parts count 

Gurley already proved himself his rookie season, with no QB, bad line and bad receivers. Mccaffrey hasn’t proved anything as a runner

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

I'm assuming you are a member of the group that believes that, as a QB, Cam Newton's rushing yards and rushing TDs "don't count".

Either that or you're a terrible hypocrite.

By your logic Tarik Cohen is better than Mccaffrey

All purpose yards are meaningless in the gram scheme of things. Ginn was 12th in all purpose yards in 2016, yet no team offered him more than 5 mill a year

27 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Gurley already proved himself his rookie season, with no QB, bad line and bad receivers. Mccaffrey hasn’t proved anything as a runner

By your logic Tarik Cohen is better than Mccaffrey

All purpose yards are meaningless in the gram scheme of things. Ginn was 12th in all purpose yards in 2016, yet no team offered him more than 5 mill a year

We know cmc is maybe the top receiving back in the nfl. If he gets 15 or more carries a game we will see what kind of nfl runner he is 

On 8/16/2018 at 2:45 PM, Pantha-kun said:

Did we even have any TDs of over 40 yards through the air? I seem to recall cam did take a few deep shots but very regularly they were either incompletions or didnt result in TDs. 

Not much last year...now in 2015 whew baby.

Archived