• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This One Was on the Defense

Jimmy

Panthers have to change their philosophy on defense or we will continue to struggle against the Falcons and Saints. We need to more speed on the perimeter. Mike Adams and Captain Munnerlyn cant hang and will continue to be exploited. We also play way too much zone that offense already know where to go pre-snap. 

We got out-coached.  A common situation under RR.  Atlanta looked at what we do best on defense, stop the run up the middle, and game planned around it.  The reason we looked so bad is because Coleman was able to break off 15 and 20 yard chunks getting to the edge running the ball in the first half.  Opened up everything ATL wanted to do. The D was chasing and got tired.

This is exactly how ATL and NO beat us last year.  We are weaker right now with our T. Davis.  They neutralized our pass rush and made our tacklers miss just enough.

Our offense was too conservative in the first half and we fell behind early.

We were never able to catch up.

Falcons made us pay for our one turnover.  We let them off the hook.  They fumbled twice and we couldn't fall on it.

We got out-coached and out-played.

ATL executed their game plan and we were late to react.

This game will be the blueprint for every other team in how to attack this defense.

I do not like our chances unless our coaches show they can put together a game plan that is actually clever and make adjustments before going down by 14.

We did exactly what they thought we would do and they dictated the entire game.

We look like a 7 win team whose coach is out of fresh ideas.

2 hours ago, saX man said:

Pepp can't go for a whole game and Addison is not ideal against the run.  Horton is average. They all disguise eachother's weaknesses in rotation but got rocked today.  Maybe we should get Cox or Obada in there.  

Young legs are needed. And ask yourself. If they are this bad in game two, how bad will they be in game 16

this is a young man’s

game

Our defense always sucks on turf fields.  Today the offense was facing a weakened defense on a fast field and they needed to put up points.  They had too many stalled drives and too many drops to compete.  The defense could've done better, but they had a bad day.  Jax just put up 31 on the Patriots.  It happens.

That was the softest defense I've seen us field outside of a pre-season game. We missed TD, plain and simple.

RR had the team set well, Norv called a good game, but they just ran roughshod over us. I've never seen Luke so out of position and we had almost no pressure on Ryan throughout the game.

We didn't seem to adjust. The Falcons started the game off with outside runs. Sometimes the same exact play back to back. Luke was about the only one getting there but he is only one man. They started pushing Alex Mack to go up and grab him.

It seemed like they were completely stuck to Addison, Poe and Vernon Butler. Either the refs were letting them go with the holds or it wasn't technically a hold.. 

Peppers when he was out there.. got around the edge but Matt simply just stepped up. He was way too far behind Ryan every pass rush. 

I feel like Munnyrlyn is just over matched vs Atlanta. Julio in the slot vs him just isn't fair. We were in a lot of zone and they picked their spots. Safeties were hella slow but Mike Adams made some decent open field stops. Shaq was getting blocked and didnt have any open space to go after anyone. Their O line really did well moving levels.. too well.

I always think Freeman plays balls to the walls against us but Ive always thought Tevin Coleman is a better every down back.. even hope we look at him next offseason. He knows how to run a 2 back system with Mccaffrey and really wouldn't have to change too much in packages if he got hurt.

I think missing Byrd and Samuel were crucial this game. Funchess and Smith couldn't separate. Olsen is really our only clutch big catch radius guy.. I believe he would have came down this some of those Smith and Funchess drops. 

I really wish we had a Alshon Jeffery, AJ green, Dez, Julio type who can really make those catches.

I put it more on the dropped passes but the defense was poo. Ron never knows how to defend Atlanta. If we’re not able to sack Ryan 6 or 7 times we can’t stop them. The sink and sink stuff kills us and today they even ran on us at will. Two fuging rushing TDs by Matt fuging Ryan. Nuff said. 

Archived