• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Torrey Smith: "If that hit was on any other QB but Cam that fine would’ve been a trillion dollars"

Saca312

I hated the Torrey Smith signing. He's our highest paid receiver and I worried he'd bring over his drop issues and be a mediocre route runner.

Football wise, I'm pleasantly surprised.

He's been pretty good at route running and his release in the intermediate area. While his deep skills are lacking thus far, I doubt that'd be the case much longer. His TD showed off a very solid release and control when grabbing Cam's laser accurate throw. I have to admit he's been far better than I thought he would be, and he's getting some slack that he honestly shouldn't.

Anyways, I digress. Here's the real meat:

Accurate. 

I like Torrey Smith even more now.

Don't really care about the feel good stories. I care about whats happening on the field. Produce or stfu. We're staring at another losing season, partly to injuries, mostly to favoritism and Smith is part of the group of players that isn't producing. Step your game up before I care about you.

Just now, KillerKat said:

Don't really care about the feel good stories. I care about whats happening on the field. Produce or stfu. We're staring at another losing season, partly to injuries, mostly to favoritism and Smith is part of the group of players that isn't producing. Step your game up before I care about you.

Exactly 

Those of you expecting Torrey Smith to be a 100 yards a game type receiver are setting yourselves for disappointment. 

He's been fine for what it's worth. And I can assure you I was the biggest skeptic of this signing over the offseason and through preseason. However, I truly do think he's done a decent job so far and has gotten open on film. If you have gamepass, just look over game 1 and you'll see what I mean.

2 minutes ago, mjligon said:

@Saca312 what are you even talking about he’s caught like 3 balls. How is that far better than what you thought he’d be?

I thought he'd literally be stuck like glue to every corner in existence and lack any bit of separation or proper route running.

So yes my expectations were bottom low. I'm not talking primarily about how many catches he's making so far, but pretty much how he's doing when he's getting snaps. He's not the primary read for a large part of plays so it's understandable he has few balls.

But he's had decent route running and has been getting open. I believe Norv will notice that and capitalize with more opportunities for Torrey. 

2 games in so I’m not too worried let’s let half the season play out first before judging him as a WR, but I see flashes, he’s stop at least two ints from happening, stood up for cam, and snagged a td pass that truly surprised me given how good the coverage was

its real refreshing to have a WR prevent ints and stick up for his qb, generally something you’d expect from a guy who’s been on the roster at least for a couple season, good job Torrey 

Archived