• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Reverse sear

Jackofalltrades

On 9/29/2018 at 1:04 PM, PurityControl said:

It's all I use professionally and at home, I inherited some nice 1940's Griswold cast iron pans from my grandmother they are slick as snot, as good as a modern Teflon pan.

The new Lodge pans you can buy commercially take time to season and break in to get that slickness, i have a few of those as well after about 10yr heavy use they are getting to that level too.

Check out garage sales and second hand stores people don't know what they have they see a old maybe rusty pan and get rid it of not knowing its a classic that with a little cleaning up will last another 50yrs+ 

My dad collects old cast iron pans.  I have inherited about 10 of various sizes.  I had them stored away and when one of my non sticks failed a few years back I pulled one out.  Best cooking decision I’ve made in a while. Brought out a few more and the rest is history. 

Reverse sear has given me the best steaks for sure. Consistent pink center and a nice char. I think the basic tactic is bake in oven in the iron skillet and then sear on the stove or grill. But you can also do it all on the grill. If you have one of them big grills you can just bake it on super low and then remove and turn the flames up.

Do it.

I tried reverse sear for the first time a week ago.  I had a couple 1" thick filets and threw them on my smoker for an hour with some Hickory.  Once they got up to 10 degrees below mid-rare, I pulled them off, let them sit for about 5 minutes, then seared on a 900 degree side burner for 1 minute per side.  Crazy delicious.

For those that don't know. reverse searing (slow and low) cooks the meat perfectly on the inside, so you'll have a perfect mid-rare cook throughout.

i got the $300 pellet smoker from walmart.   its actually awesome.    45 min on smoke, gets about 200 in there, take the steak off, turn up to 500 and when it gets there you slide a plate and open up the pellet box and hit it on each side for 1 minute over open flame.   best steak ever.    ever.

2 hours ago, blackcat said:

If anyone has some extra $$ laying around, get an Anova immersion circulator and try sous vide.  Kinda of in the realm of reverse searing, but with more precise results.

Yeah, I use the Joule and do this sometimes. I still prefer the oven baked method best, but sous vide is a great way as well. I really love cooking chicken sous vide. Never under done, never dry, always perfect. 

2 hours ago, blackcat said:

If anyone has some extra $$ laying around, get an Anova immersion circulator and try sous vide.  Kinda of in the realm of reverse searing, but with more precise results.

I have one and use it often...I do feel that the better the cut of beef, the less reason to use the Anova, it just turns them a bit too tender...almost mushy.

It's good for turning a sirloin into a filet type texture, but IMO the filet just doesn't need that much wet, slow heat, same with a ribeye or strip.

It's a WONDERFUL tool for bone in pork chops, chicken breast, tougher cuts of beef...and even veggies.

2 hours ago, thefuzz said:

I have one and use it often...I do feel that the better the cut of beef, the less reason to use the Anova, it just turns them a bit too tender...almost mushy.

It's good for turning a sirloin into a filet type texture, but IMO the filet just doesn't need that much wet, slow heat, same with a ribeye or strip.

It's a WONDERFUL tool for bone in pork chops, chicken breast, tougher cuts of beef...and even veggies.

Worked in a place that used it on everything and yeah, does wonders on pork and chicken.  I did 1/2 of a ribeye roast last Christmas and it was off the charts.

I grill 1x2 a week mostly tbones,  I always marinate the night before with Worcestershire and my special sauce. The next day set the grill to over 500 degrees cook one side for 4 minutes flip next side 3 minutes depending on thickness.  Let rest for 5 minutes devour in 3 minutes. 5

20180912_194053.jpg

Archived