• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baldy Breakdowns: Giants Are Running A "McAdoo 2.0 (Shula)" Offense

Saca312

On 10/2/2018 at 6:41 PM, panthers55 said:

A big part of the issue is a crappy offensive line that doesn't give Eli time to throw down the field. So he is left with short passes as his option which just loads the box and kills the running. When the line does hold, Eli is likely so unwilling to trust it he takes the easy checkdowns.

As for the offense, didn't Shurmur always work in a West coast offense which emphasizes short timing passes? How does that relate to the Coryell system Shula ran here for years.? Seems to me that the play call was good and the Giants had OBJ wide open. Eli was the problem at least on the first video.

They gave him plenty of time to throw the ball against the Texans. So, na. This is on Eli. 

7 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

No offense, but I think I will believe the article I actually saw. That states the Shula is doing everything an OC does. Except call plays. The reason being. Shumur was a head coach before, and he tried being the OC at the same time. He stated it was too much work, so he got himself an OC to take that workload off him. He works with Shula during the week. But will still call the plays come game time.. 

Now, if you could provide a link, or a snippet, then maybe I could lean your way. But I just cannot believe all Shula is doing is "Making Suggestions". 

Here is the link I read.  But I didn't say that Shula does nothing but recommend some plays.  I am sure there are other things he does, such as help run the offensive practice sessions, work with the various assistant coaches etc...

https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/04/pat_shurmur_explains_mike_shulas_role_as_a_non-pla.html

"Here's a scenario: It's second-and-10 at the 20 (yard line)," Shurmur said. "I'll call play and say, 'Hey, Mike, have a third-down call ready for me.' Then he'll give me a suggestion.

To be fair, it doesn't really state who designs plays, I assume that Shumur does and Shula makes some inputs.  He doesn't seem like that kind that would let someone else design plays.  It does state that Shula works with the QB's, although I wonder how much he really works with Eli.

34 minutes ago, JakeDel5674 said:

They gave him plenty of time to throw the ball against the Texans. So, na. This is on Eli. 

So there have been 4 games played. So if he has some time in one of the four that negates the other three. Because he didn't have time against the Saints. Didn't watch the others but the general consensus from all of the expert analyses was terrible offensive line.

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

Design or no design, the current Giants offense SCREAMS "West Coast".

And, if memory serves, through all of Shula's stops as an NFL OC and as a college HC, he's never run a West Coast offense.

I doubt with all the places he has coached that they never ran a West coast offense.  Besides he was a quarterback himself, do you really imply he wouldn't know the concepts or how to draw up plays for a West coast offense? 

31 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So there have been 4 games played. So if he has some time in one of the four that negates the other three. Because he didn't have time against the Saints. Didn't watch the others but the general consensus from all of the expert analyses was terrible offensive line.

Well, so he gets time and looks good one game, and arguably has time against the other teams and looks shitty? I don't think that's how that works. I think Eli just sucks right now. Simple as that. Their O-Line isn't good. But, Eli was just fine vs the Texans. And it was the same playcalling, and arguably more pressure. So...........

1 hour ago, JakeDel5674 said:

Well, so he gets time and looks good one game, and arguably has time against the other teams and looks shitty? I don't think that's how that works. I think Eli just sucks right now. Simple as that. Their O-Line isn't good. But, Eli was just fine vs the Texans. And it was the same playcalling, and arguably more pressure. So...........

Hold on there's actually someone defending Eli Manning?

I'm sorry but Eli's not been close to good since forever.

2 hours ago, panthers55 said:

I doubt with all the places he has coached that they never ran a West coast offense.  Besides he was a quarterback himself, do you really imply he wouldn't know the concepts or how to draw up plays for a West coast offense?

Does it make you feel better responding to the voices in your head instead of to what I actually wrote?  (Hint: I never referred to "all the places he has coached" nor did I refer to his time as a "quarterback himself".)

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Does it make you feel better responding to the voices in your head instead of to what I actually wrote?  (Hint: I never referred to "all the places he has coached" nor did I refer to his time as a "quarterback himself".)

Then you clearly were deficit in your thinking because every place he has been and every offensive role he has assumed has built upon his knowledge of all offenses. There aren't that many systems out there so it isn't that tough. So I am glad to better clarify your response with increased clarity and accuracy. Your welcome.

2 hours ago, JakeDel5674 said:

Obviously you aren't reading what I said. He didn't have time against New Orleans. Sure he had time on specific plays but after getting pressure and hurries all day and in a majority of the games this year you tend to get the yips. Something anyone who has played sports understands.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Hold on there's actually someone defending Eli Manning?

I'm sorry but Eli's not been close to good since forever.

When has his line been decent and what playmakers has he had besides Beckham?

Pff offensive ranking had the Giants below us at 25 at the beginning of the season.

2017 it was 26th.

2016 it was 20th.

For reference Carolina has been much higher in rankings. I find it funny that the same people defending Cam saying the line was why he regressed are criticized Eli when by PFF stats the Giants have had a much worse line than the Panthers over the past 3 years including this year as well

4 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Here is the link I read.  But I didn't say that Shula does nothing but recommend some plays.  I am sure there are other things he does, such as help run the offensive practice sessions, work with the various assistant coaches etc...

https://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2018/04/pat_shurmur_explains_mike_shulas_role_as_a_non-pla.html

To be fair, it doesn't really state who designs plays, I assume that Shumur does and Shula makes some inputs.  He doesn't seem like that kind that would let someone else design plays.  It does state that Shula works with the QB's, although I wonder how much he really works with Eli.

Shurmur stated that Sunday night after the game. He and Shula get together and game plan the next opponent. Shula then does the OCing. Film room, practice, the whole sheebang. Shula is the OC, with input from Shumur. But when it comes time to call the plays. That is all Shumur, with some input from Shula.

Shurmur has said that the last time he was the HC. He bit off more than he could chew, trying to be the OC as well. So this time, he hired himself an OC. That is Shula. Shula is the OC with help from Shurmur. And Shurmur calls plays, with help from Shula. Easy peasy. Right? 

Someone posted a snippet earlier in the thread that spelled it all out. I guess it got lost in all the noise going on in the thread.

24 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

When has his line been decent and what playmakers has he had besides Beckham?

Pff offensive ranking had the Giants below us at 25 at the beginning of the season.

2017 it was 26th.

2016 it was 20th.

For reference Carolina has been much higher in rankings. I find it funny that the same people defending Cam saying the line was why he regressed are criticized Eli when by PFF stats the Giants have had a much worse line than the Panthers over the past 3 years including this year as well

Oline has made Eli look bad but his decision making has been bad also. Double negative. Kinda the reverse Norv brings to our offense. Both line and Newton has played better. 

15 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Shurmur stated that Sunday night after the game. He and Shula get together and game plan the next opponent. Shula then does the OCing. Film room, practice, the whole sheebang. Shula is the OC, with input from Shumur. But when it comes time to call the plays. That is all Shumur, with some input from Shula.

Shurmur has said that the last time he was the HC. He bit off more than he could chew, trying to be the OC as well. So this time, he hired himself an OC. That is Shula. Shula is the OC with help from Shurmur. And Shurmur calls plays, with help from Shula. Easy peasy. Right? 

Someone posted a snippet earlier in the thread that spelled it all out. I guess it got lost in all the noise going on in the thread.

Who never is calling the plays obviously doesn't know how to use OBJ. Probably should trade him to the Panthers. 

Archived