• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

pff is still trying to sell the narrative cam is inaccurate and bad

Saca312

1 hour ago, Delhommey said:

Increasing the probability of winning =/= guaranteeing a win.

Right, so the probability is increased with each attempt and Phily not only attempted but succeeded on several, and we attempted none,..

their win probability should have been through the roof,..

but as you said, probability isn’t a guarantee and therefore has no command of the human element and with the controlled chaos on the football field.

Which was basically my point.

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

I flat out called them racist. 

Which only hurts the cause, discredits you and is the reason Cam supporters aren’t taken seriously.

Cam is arrogant. He is cocky. He ignores haters. Some love him, some hate him. He’s different. He’s an great, borderline elite QB.

Poeple will hate him for these reasons before race just like Brady. Or even on this forum, ironically, Brees is scrutinized like hell for the same reasons but are these poster racist? Is it possible to hate Cam for other reasons?

Probelm is fans here get so zoned in on Cam and the Panthers and pay zero attention to other teams forums, articles and fans. Broaden your horizons and start reading around, Cam is hated on for the same things as other qbs ever from their own fans. It’s amazing how similar the issues.

That said I didn’t listen this this particular take because it’s media which is fake.

8 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Which only hurts the cause, discredits you and is the reason Cam supporters aren’t taken seriously.

Cam is arrogant. He is cocky. He ignores haters. Some love him, some hate him. He’s different. He’s an great, borderline elite QB.

Poeple will hate him for these reasons before race just like Brady. Or even on this forum, ironically, Brees is scrutinized like hell for the same reasons but are these poster racist? Is it possible to hate Cam for other reasons?

Probelm is fans here get so zoned in on Cam and the Panthers and pay zero attention to other teams forums, articles and fans. Broaden your horizons and start reading around, Cam is hated on for the same things as other qbs ever from their own fans. It’s amazing how similar the issues.

That said I didn’t listen this this particular take because it’s media which is fake.

Nothing arrogant about Cam. Unless you believe celebrating means a player is arrogant.

20 hours ago, sharkkiller said:

They actually said and I quote, " The Panthers generally outplay their PFF grades."

How in the blue hell would that be possible, when the grades are based on how they play? That is like taking a test in Chemistry, and saying that I answered questions correctly better than my failing grade shows.

A prime example of why PFF is garbage.

laughing.png

20 hours ago, sharkkiller said:

They actually said and I quote, " The Panthers generally outplay their PFF grades."

How in the blue hell would that be possible, when the grades are based on how they play? That is like taking a test in Chemistry, and saying that I answered questions correctly better than my failing grade shows.

A prime example of why PFF is garbage.

I would guess when they say “The Panthers”, they’re talking about them collectively, i.e. the team. Kind of a “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” thing. If that’s the case, that our team is outperforming its players’ individual PFF scores, then that’d be a testament to our coaching if anything.

Just now, MasterAwesome said:

I would guess when they say “The Panthers”, they’re talking about them collectively, i.e. the team. Kind of a “the whole is greater than the sum of its parts” thing. If that’s the case, that our team is outperforming its players’ individual PFF scores, then that’d be a testament to our coaching if anything.

Listening to the actual podcast, unfortunately, I do not think that is what they meant. They repeatedly said that as a whole, the Panthers are a bad team.

How does one outperform grades?

Is that like claiming someone is a C student when all they do is produce A papers. Yes, you got an A on the test, but overall you deserve a C. Move along!

Subjective grading systems are always the best! Since when does grading have to be objective?

PFF gets a D, but they claim to be an A. They just keep under-performing their grade.

I mean, it's tough right? People always point to that chart showing Cam as the lone outlier of dual threat QBs, but imagine what that does when trying to build a statistical model for QB performance. I'm no expert, but at a very basic and high level, you create statistical models by trying to fit to the data. Well, most of the data shows the important things in a QB is how they throw the ball down the field from the pocket.

For Cam to be rated correctly, they'd have to skew their model towards things most successful QBs don't do very well. Then we'd have even weirder outcomes where Marcus Mariota gets rated higher than Tom Brady. In 2015, Cam was one of the highest rated PFF QBs, because he was creating a lot of big play with his arm.

I guess my point is, while you can rightly criticize the hell out of PFF and how they talk about Cam, realize that what they are trying to do especially given the relatively small sample sizes compared to other sports (baseball, basketball...) is hard as fug. Throwing in a "Dinosaur" like Cam makes it almost impossible.

Numbers can be a great way to explain what happened in the past.

Numbers can be a great way to predict what might happen in the future.

But numbers can only lead you to average.  The difference between average and great is knowing when the numbers apply and when the numbers are leading you wrong.

Archived