• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You all are really overestimating the chances Ron is gone

MVPccaffrey

On 12/5/2018 at 11:01 PM, Billy_T said:

Hint 1 for you...

Mr. Tepper's DNA is that of a QUANT:  He has a fascination with numbers and fancies himself as having photographic memory.  Quant's are driven by the numbers, the facts, and do their best to eliminate "emotion" from decision making (unlike keyboard jockeys & kneejerk dolts).  

Key Takeaway -- Mr. Tepper will value 3 NFC South rings/4 playoffs/51 regular season wins in 7 years, more than he will be worried about a 4 game losing streak where the star QB has been playing with a bad wing.

While I agree that Tepper's decision will come down to Rivera's entire body of work, there are a few things that as a fan I'm hoping he gives careful consideration - and this is just based on my observations from the arm chair:

1) Culture - the overall culture of this team appears to be an acceptance of mediocrity. With the exception of 2002-3 and 2015 (both SB appearances), this team under Rivera and Fox has more often than not underachieved and has an "we'll be okay", "ho-hum" attitude toward losing. Yes, they've spouted all the cliches about "missed opportunities", need to play with more urgency, better discipline, etc., but we haven't seen these translate to their play on the field. Additionally, this team has ALWAYS (with a few exceptions e.g. 2015 Dallas game and NFC championship game, etc.) appear to lay an egg when the lights are the brightest. We've always embraced the underdog role yet appear to have problems dealing with success or high expectations. If I'm Tepper (which clearly I'm not), is this the culture I want for my team? Is this the brand I want associated with a winning team?

2) Consistency - inconsistency appears to be the only constant with this team. We appear to be making the same mistakes e.g. untimely penalties, clock mismanagement, lack of adjustments, situational playcalling for as long as I can remember. I agree that much of this is on the players - Cam Newton still throwing into double and triple coverage or poor mechanics comes to mind - but most of this falls on coaching or lack thereof. Also, the apparent lack of preparation that has reared it's ugly head very prominently the last few weeks also falls on coaching. Is there any reason to be believe another year under Rivera will fix the problem after this has been our MO dating back to the Fox era and continuing under Rivera's watch?

3) Personnel - the team's draft and FA history speaks for itself. We have great players like Cam, R Kalil, KK, Luke, TD, Olsen and now McCaffrey and Moore. However, for every one of these great players there have been twice the number of players that haven't panned out. Player evaluation has never appeared to be Rivera's strong suit - see Amini Silatolu - and certain players have for whatever reason found their way into his doghouse when they could've had more opportunities to contribute  (we're still waiting on the honest long look of Cameron Artis-Payne after 3+ seasons). Is there any reason to believe that this will improve beyond this year and under this same regime? 

Again, these are just the observations of a guy behind a computer screen that happens to be a longtime fan. In the final analysis, it's Tepper's team to do what he decides is best to build a winning team. 

On 12/5/2018 at 10:01 PM, Billy_T said:

Hint 1 for you...

Mr. Tepper's DNA is that of a QUANT:  He has a fascination with numbers and fancies himself as having photographic memory.  Quant's are driven by the numbers, the facts, and do their best to eliminate "emotion" from decision making (unlike keyboard jockeys & kneejerk dolts).  

Key Takeaway -- Mr. Tepper will value 3 NFC South rings/4 playoffs/51 regular season wins in 7 years, more than he will be worried about a 4 game losing streak where the star QB has been playing with a bad wing.

51,wins in 7 years?  That’s not very good. That comes out to an average of 7-9 which is the definition of mediocrity and a losing record 

1 hour ago, Camp Fodder said:

51,wins in 7 years?  That’s not very good. That comes out to an average of 7-9 which is the definition of mediocrity and a losing record 

It's also wrong.  Coach Rivera has 64 regular season wins through his first 7 seasons, which is a winning record

9 minutes ago, Camvp said:

It's also wrong.  Coach Rivera has 64 regular season wins through his first 7 seasons, which is a winning record

What's his record if you take out the Gettleman years?

I've felt bad for Rivera because it seems like he's genuinely a nice guy, but watching the way this season is breaking down, I'm over it.

He needs to be gone, and he should take Marty Hurney with him.

It's time to start over.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

What's his record if you take out the Gettleman years?

I've felt bad for Rivera because it seems like he's genuinely a nice guy, but watching the way this season is breaking down, I'm over it.

He needs to be gone, and he should take Marty Hurney with him.

It's time to start over.

I agree. I truly believe Rivera is a genuinely nice guy and a good coach. However, Super Bowl season aside, there's too much inconsistency during his tenure and the organization could use a change in culture.   

On 12/4/2018 at 4:33 PM, Camvp said:

According to this forum that's never happened, when we win it's because of players, mostly Cam credited, and coaching credit is only assigned when the team loses.

Name one coaching decision that seemed like a great call by Ron. Only time I remember is when Cam and basically the whole offense telling him to let them stay on the field for a 4th down conversion. I have seen Olsen and Luke coaching him up instead of vice versa.

On 12/5/2018 at 1:18 PM, Green_Tea said:

From the Saints forum. 

"RR is not the biggest problem that franchise has. Cam Newton is a horrible qb and he has the blind loyalty of a large part of the organisation and fan base. The dudes career stats is right on par with the great Jay Cutler! They are paying a (pretty average) running back 20 mil a year to try and throw the football. There are some rough years ahead for that organisation and fan base."

Of course they will say that. They don't want us to get better. They want to keep representing the south. Cam has his issues but it isn't bc he his a subpar QB its bc of a boneheaded coach who didn't have enough balls to pull Cam in a meaningless game in 2016 when he knew his throwing arm was damaged, and then in a straight loss to Steelers this yr kept him in knowing he was hurt kept him and aging hurt Olsen. Ya keep reading saints forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived