• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Youth movement is needed now. Let go of your emotional attachments.

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Oh, and someone please tell KK to either to actually try next season or return his paycheck.

Would like to have a Legit NT beside him again vs someone who our rival didnt attempt to resign and warned us

Then laughed as he got bullied around

Just now, ncfan said:

Olsen

I would not get rid of

Injured prone, Yes.  But still consistent when healthy.  Plus no use in cutting him and taking the hit to our current low cap

I think he's going to be banged up too much to rely on.

Said this elsewhere: If you want to end Rivera's dependence on older veterans over more talented youngsters, one of the things you do is to take away his temptations.

I definitely agree we need a youth movement, but we also need to field a team next year and we can't completely reshape a roster in one off-season. We can definitely use Peppers for another year because none of our young DEs have proven to be NFL caliber. Mario is probably the only DE currently on the roster guaranteed to be on the roster next season. As far as TD goes, I'd definitely rather have him back on a one year $3-4M deal than to give Shaq nearly $10M. Shaq isn't a TD replacement, he's a JAG amd you can't afford to have a JAG eating up nearly $10M in cap space.

"We have to get younger!" sounds great in a vacuum, but you have to do it intelligently. What I want to avoid is Hurney's past mistake of signing aging players to long-term contracts with big guaranteed money. That's what kills you, not one year relatively small money deals to squeeze another season out of vets who still have something in the tank.

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I'm hoping they are already on the roster. Gaulden's showed promise. Corn did also at nickel, but was forced to play outside corner which he should not be playing 

I'm not ready to give up on Gaulden, but he definitely doesn't have good range for an NFL safety.

Corn Elder is completely fuging terrible at football.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Peppers had five sacks and an overall tremendous fall from grace. I don't think he likes Hurney. Collecting paycheck. 

Sacks aren’t everything, in terms of pressures caused he was really good and our most disruptive guy outside of Mario.

18 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Peppers, Davis, Olsen, Adams, etc etc

The Panthers need to move on and get young. They can't do that by hanging on to vets that have been fan favorites for so long.

Please let's not spend another entire season watching older guys unable to match speed or get injured again. 

We have wastes so much of Cam's time as it is. Hell, we might not even have Cam back the way he was at all. 

Let's find some young guys that are hungry. The sun has set on the current core.

Greg is still better than Ian, but I think he is done physically. 

TD still seems better than Shaq, but probably time for Shaq to make it go or move on.

Same for Gaulden vs. Adams.

I would generally advocate for bringing Peppers back, barring an amazing DL draft, but I don't think of him as being part of any core. More like a patch. Ideally give Pep a deal that gives us an out if he wants to head off into the sunset after collecting his 3rd-place sack.

None of this matters if Cams arm is toast and/or we don't get the OL sorted.

Mike Adams is a no brainer. His age finally caught up with him and he was a huge liability to the defense. Thanks for all you’ve done Mike and I wish you well in your next venture. 

Captain Munnerlyn is a no brainer as well. He was awful this year. 

I’d give Peppers another year but it wouldn’t be a sizeable contract. He should have been utilized in a diminished role this year instead of having to play so many snaps. I’d sign him back as a rotational end and he would probably flurish in that role to the tune of 6-8 sacks. If he wants big money, I would pass. 

I’d probably offer TD an extension but that’s only because I think Shaq is a bust. Even a slowed down TD was light years ahead of Shaq this year.  Similarly to TD, if he wants big money, he’s gone  

Archived