• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Difference an oline makes it to a season Colts

raleigh-panther

7 hours ago, KillerKat said:

We need a tackle, guard, and center. If not starting then at least challenging for the starting position.

Ron Rivera and his boy Marty will be drafting defense in the 1st round along with other (maybe all) higher round choices.

You can take that to the bank.  The VAST majority of draft and FA resources during the Rivera Regime have been on defense and I don't see that changing.  Especially considering the defensive sheet-show Ron "defensive genius" Rivera trotted out on the field in 2018.

That doesn't mean I disagree with any of y'all above about how we critically need to upgrade the OL.  That is without a doubt.  I'm just speaking what is more likely to happen under Carolina's present sheet-show head coach.

Everyone seems to forget this team was averaging around 30 points a game before it became clearly evident Cam was not 100% ( Pittsburgh Game) That doesn't happen with a poor offensive line, as a matter of fact based on the patch work we had it was one of the strong points of this team. The real issue is with the leadership yes Ronnie. Just remember this we were 4 -2 aginst playoff teams and should have been 6-0. 

1. As has been indicted here stupid decisions with extra points, 4th downs and field goals and challenges
  2. Picking and sticking with Eric Washington as D coordinator, it was evident through the first 8 games this D had no identity. After the blow out at Pitt he should have been replaced , but no we wait for more of the same before Ron steps in and makes a change which was a huge improvement as the games went on
  3. Anyone with any sense would have known that the last 3 games were going to be the key to the season when the schedule came out ( as they ended up being). When it was clear Cam was not 100% and to Cams own admission that the only thing that seems to help was rest. Ron choose to let him sit during the week and kept playing him as his effectiveness and numbers declined. After Pittsburgh and with 4 winnable games ahead he could have sat him in preparation for the end of the season and the playoffs. he only needed to win 3 games at that point and gambled he could get it done with Cam. Even if we had won the 3 Cam would have been useless by the playoff game. 
  4. His comments about its up to the medical staff on Cam, i am sure the answer was he can't do anymore damage if he plays, well that could be true but it was obvious from watching he was a shell of what he is capable of due to pain. Why do you think all of the players referenced his warrior attitude.
  5. Picking the wrong #2 QB, after watching the 2 of them play it was very evident that Allen was the better of the 2 and to me it wasn't even close.
  6. His after season press conference when saying we need to look at getting someone else carries instead of the load he forced on CMC, Well  he didn't have to look too far. Cutting CJ Anderson who ends up with over 300 yards total offense in his 2 games with the Rams. Also is resistance to use Artis Payne. How many times did we need short yardage and we have power back to get it. 
  7. Cant recall the game right now but letting Funches continue to play and be targeted after dropping about 6 passes during the game. Then basically demoting him to #3 which was obviously effected his confidence and usefulness the rest of the season.
  8. After Gano got hurt basically saying he wasn't aware. How can  coach not be aware that one of the most important parts of the team isn't hurt.
  9. Firing of 2 low level coaches as part of his shake up but keeping 2 coaches at the position were the issues were Over all defense - Washington and DB's Rogers. 
  10. I could go on and one - This all started with the Super Bowl and his inability to adjust and make changes either on the fly or at half time.
  11. How many times have you ever heard him take the blame, its always we were a couple of plays away, or that the players arent getting what we are coaching
  12. Basically folks every team has weaknesses with positions, its the coach who has ro plan and scheme to address them

Since i am posting have you ever heard him called out for anything by the press? he should be thankful they bow down to him and never put him on the hot seat to answer real questions

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Exactly. This isn’t a stud LT class and if it was then they’d go before 16. Look at last year. McGlinchey was RT. Miller (pick 15) was awful at LT. Chris Clark was ranked well ahead of him.

We are way better off with Moton at LT if we can resign Williams at RT. We need to bolster the OL, but it’s hopefully C and LG where we do that and having 47, 78, 100ish and 114ish should allow us to get two solid interior OL.

My goal would be to get the best G or C at pick 47 and get the best defensive player at 16. After those, probably as much D as you can get and If anything on offense make it OL.

We need to bolster the interior OL, but we also need D help just as bad. People want to look at the Colts, but what about the Bears and Dallas? Their ascension this year has to do with their defense. Dallas didn’t outscore NO. The Bears didn’t beat the Rams because Trubisky is amazing.

Football games are won with offense, defense and a mix. People seem to gravitate to the latest fad and assume that’s the only way to do it. As if Nick Foles is so amazing that he’s leading a trash team and might be better than Cam. Wentz was 11-2 in 2017. The 2017 Eagles were a good team with both. Foles is solid in that system but the Eagles are a talented team. 

That’s all I was saying. Like every year, people are trying to “make” LT prospects out of players that aren’t. Just a bad year. I don’t even want to use a 2nd on any, but wouldn’t be upset with it. 

46 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Exactly. This isn’t a stud LT class and if it was then they’d go before 16. Look at last year. McGlinchey was RT. Miller (pick 15) was awful at LT. Chris Clark was ranked well ahead of him.

We are way better off with Moton at LT if we can resign Williams at RT. We need to bolster the OL, but it’s hopefully C and LG where we do that and having 47, 78, 100ish and 114ish should allow us to get two solid interior OL.

My goal would be to get the best G or C at pick 47 and get the best defensive player at 16. After those, probably as much D as you can get and If anything on offense make it OL.

We need to bolster the interior OL, but we also need D help just as bad. People want to look at the Colts, but what about the Bears and Dallas? Their ascension this year has to do with their defense. Dallas didn’t outscore NO. The Bears didn’t beat the Rams because Trubisky is amazing.

Football games are won with offense, defense and a mix. People seem to gravitate to the latest fad and assume that’s the only way to do it. As if Nick Foles is so amazing that he’s leading a trash team and might be better than Cam. Wentz was 11-2 in 2017. The 2017 Eagles were a good team with both. Foles is solid in that system but the Eagles are a talented team. 

Not trying to start an argument.  But McGlinchey was ND LT right next to Quinten Nelson.  And there were multiple scouts saying that Kolton Miller was trash.  

I agree that wen need DL right now.  I’m just having a hard tim finding one at 16 that will still be available that I like in our system.  

1 hour ago, RIVERABALL said:

Since i am posting have you ever heard him called out for anything by the press? he should be thankful they bow down to him and never put him on the hot seat to answer real questions

Like I've said many times, Ron would be eaten alive if he had to deal with the New York media. The local media in Charlotte is pathetic.

3 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

If Moton is LT then we have no RT unless we pay Williams. We need a tackle LT or RT this year and Larsen can be our stop gap C until next year. If a high value center drops in the draft that’s a different story... We really need a OT, DE and FS like yesterday. LG should be addressed and then possibly C since Larsen has shown he can be at least average and hopefully has gotten better since then...

Larson will get Cam or whoever is at QB killed. You don't stop gap Center. You either pay Williams or stop gap RT.

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Larson will get Cam or whoever is at QB killed. You don't stop gap Center. You either pay Williams or stop gap RT.

Well, the fact is that over the first 8 years of Cam's career even with Ryan Kalil at center Cam was still getting killed.

So Cam might well be like "So how is this any different?"

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Well good news/ bad news for me/panthers(a little) 

The Auburn fan in me is ecstatic that Derrick Brown(DT) is coming back to school. 

But he was someone I wanted at 16. 

Auburn just offered his little brother, a senior LB in high school, a scholarship.  Kid has no other major college offers outside of Auburn.

Looks like Brown wants to play a year of college ball with his little brother.

I would say one scholly for Lil Bro for another year of Big Derrick is a reasonable price to pay.

35 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Auburn just offered his little brother, a senior LB in high school, a scholarship.  Kid has no other major college offers outside of Auburn.

Looks like Brown wants to play a year of college ball with his little brother.

I would say one scholly for Lil Bro for another year of Big Derrick is a reasonable price to pay.

Absolutely. Sort of like the “girlfriend” experience across the state. 

5 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

Well, the fact is that over the first 8 years of Cam's career even with Ryan Kalil at center Cam was still getting killed.

So Cam might well be like "So how is this any different?"

Cam actually had a legit line in 11,12, and 15. So 5 year and those years except one kalil was hurt. Also we have Turner and Moton. Pairing them with a non back up would help a bunch.

Let’s be clear.  It’s not only the offensive line but also trading down and stockpiling pucks that made this possible.  I forget what they got, but didn’t the Jets give up the farm to get their spot in the draft? 

They took those pucks a got a bunch of really good young players.  

If we don’t have a decent choice at 16 trade down and get a 1st and a high 2nd. 

Archived