• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL, technology, and the future

PantherBrew

35 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Football is life Scot, I saw it on a T-shirt once.

You going to tell me that T-shirt lied?

I can't speak for that t-shirt in particular, but I would say that this shirt serves as visual evidence that the integrity of t-shirts in general should sometimes be called into question.

nirvana-hanson-feature.jpg

Either the refs need to be replaced with computers that never mess up a call and the rules have to be crystal clear enough for robots to officiate, or we need to accept that humans are imperfect and that is part of the game. It always has been. How many games were decided on calls that would be completely different with all the camera angles we have today? Thousands. How many games would have changed? Thousands. We should probably just accept it's part of the game

17 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Either the refs need to be replaced with computers that never mess up a call and the rules have to be crystal clear enough for robots to officiate, or we need to accept that humans are imperfect and that is part of the game. It always has been. How many games were decided on calls that would be completely different with all the camera angles we have today? Thousands. How many games would have changed? Thousands. We should probably just accept it's part of the game

This is a false choice. 

We have already decided that some mistakes are not okay that’s why we have replay. So we haven’t always accepted it. 

When the tech is there. Refusing to use it is moronic. 

Ball spotting is my biggest issue. We have the technology to see where the ball is essentially every second of a game. There should be no confusion whether a ball cross the goal line or passed a certain yard line for a first down. Tennis has had a electronic line judge since the 70's. There is literally no good reason as to while spotting the football is still done by the human eye and practically wrong 50% of the time.

For the record I am also for the electronic strike zone in baseball because baseball umpires are fuging terrible.

Not saying having sensors in the ball is a horrible idea, but you would probably need more than one sensor in each ball. If you only have one in the center of the ball how do you know if just the tip crosses the goal line?  If there is a sensor in each end, what if the ball is vertical when it crosses the line? The side of the ball would cross and not be registered as a touchdown. Maybe this problem has already been solved, but just had to throw it out there. 

Look even with replay and all that goes with it, they still screw up calls.   Over and over again. And we have more than our fair share of B.S. calls even with Replay.

The refs are human and a part of the game whether we like it or not.  The replay gets it right most of the time but in the end the refs have the final say.  Whether we agree or not.

Throwing money to computerize a football is a waste.  Next thing they'll want to wire the side lines so a light goes off when the ball crosses it.  Then they grid the whole damn field to make sure the ball is exactly where is should be. Before we know it all players and refs will be robots and the commentators will be talking about a robot blowing a gasket and its return is questionable.

I hate when they screw up a call but in the end.  It's a game that includes human error.  Leave it alone and move on. 

Give coaches one extra challenge so now there's 4 challenges, make the coach choose if he should challenge a penalty or a no call. Or challenging if a guy caught a pass, fumbled, or whatever. If it's inside of 2 minutes and the play is close then let New York take a look at it and decide the outcome If it is a penalty or not. Like on a big 4th down play game on the line kind of deal. Idk most people probably won't agree with me but I think it improves the integrity of the game and at hopefully they will get it right. Instead of reviewing every play. 

Archived