• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2019 Playoff race.

TheMaulClaw

1 hour ago, RealBitsOfPanther said:

I hope we can figure out a way to sign Ferland for a reasonable deal, but he's going to want more money than I think we're willing to give. 

Also, Mrazek is playing out of his skull. Holy poo guys. 

He hasn’t been able to stay healthy and has been replaced on both the first and second lines by Nino and Svech just fine. I love his game and any team would love to have him but I don’t think we’ll pay to keep him

At first I wanted to keep Ferland and I still wouldn't mind it at a decent price.  He brings a lot to the table when he's there.  I think we didn't get a good enough offer on the table to trade him so we just consider him our "rental" player for the "push".  Svech's coming out party was last night.  Kid looked elite.

Just now, The_Light_Brigade said:

At first I wanted to keep Ferland and I still wouldn't mind it at a decent price.  He brings a lot to the table when he's there.  I think we didn't get a good enough offer on the table to trade him so we just consider him our "rental" player for the "push".  Svech's coming out party was last night.  Kid looked elite.

I think we should still look to keep Ferland.  Svech was the 2nd pick, he's not destined to only be our second liner he's destined for more.  We have a lot of depth.  We have a lot of cap space.  I think we should look to keep our core together.  If we can keep our core together we're going to be good for a very long time.  I think if anything Rod B's philosophy has underscored the value of chemistry and a good locker room.  If he's identified Ferland as an important piece of that puzzle then we should absolutely resign him.  

Part of the reason we're so good this year along with goaltending is our depth.  We go beyond 4 lines and extend into AHL callups that could be 3rd line guys for other NHL teams especially our defensemen.  I don't want to minimize our depth.  It's nice to have Svech be able to jump right up and have a big game.  Conversely if Svech get's hurt it would be nice to have Ferland step up and answer the bell.  I know we could get away with letting Ferland sign else where and we might have too, but we should definitely do everything we can to keep him within reasonable limits.  I think guys like McKegg, McGinn, Wallmark have also raised their value this year.  So our option would be to resign one of those guys and keep Ferland.

I think it would allow guys like Necas to develop a little further, and it would send a positive message to the rest of the group that if they produce for us then the Canes will reward them.  

Obviously Aho comes first.  We also have to consider Justin Williams.  He's older, but he's really produced and he's a great leader.  He's been a calming influence on the squad.  He's helped quickly elevate the maturity level of all the young players.  Considering he and Brindy played on the SC team together....he's in essence a coach on the ice.  I actually hope he'll take an assistant job after he's done playing.

As good as we're playing you could argue we're overachieving.  Reminds me of the Panthers of 2015.  Not that everything goes our way but, some players you would expect to be average are playing above.  Which is scary in a division where everyone keeps winning.  It's hard to ask more from the team than what they're currently doing.  I'm not trying to be all pessimistic but it is concerning. 

12 hours ago, TheMaulClaw said:

I'm truly not sure if I've ever seen a division stacked this deep in any sport. I've never have seen this kind of race. It's a sight to behold....and will make it all the more meaningful.

It’s crazy. 5 teams all in play for the division lead this late in the year. 

Archived