• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

One Panther Rewind: Two Surreal Overtimes

ellis

X-Clown was other-worldly epic. The sequence of sudden-death plays that made it all possible was just as remarkable. 

Here’s a little slice of nostalgia for Panthers fans before we get down to business here in a few weeks at Camp Wofford. 

That Rams playoff game in 2003 is still the best game I have ever watched. I think that Ram team could’ve beat Brady had they been AFC and the Super Bowl would have been this game. 

One of the best match ups I’ve ever witnessed and Smitty just took over the game for a glorious win.

On a side note I liked the old OT rules, the new rule just seems lopsided sometimes. I get now they’re more focused on injuries but man the stamina that was required to finish games like this was a real test.

2 hours ago, mc52beast said:

Will be hard to come up with a better ending to a playoff game than Smitty going 69 yards in double OT. 

That Gano kick against the Giants might be the best non- overtime ending

Delhomme to Rosario as time expired in the season opener in San Diego in 2008 was up there too for regular season games.

7 minutes ago, Seltzer said:

Delhomme to Rosario as time expired in the season opener in San Diego in 2008 was up there too for regular season games.

Don't forget 2003 season opener against Jax.  Down 17-0 at the half.  

4th down

17 seconds left in the 4th.

Need 12 yards for a 1st down.

Jake > Ricky > corner of endzone > TD > victory

There were so many great moments from that season. This, I think, was the most pivotal—it dethroned of the defending champs and gave the team unlimited confidence as they headed down the homestretch. 2003 was unlike anything else. So many amazing damn finishes. 

We need to make sure Jake gets a hefty dose of credit. Someone had to throw that perfect pass, under pressure, to win the game.

From 2003-2005 you couldn't ask for a more clutch QB than Jake Delhomme. You were never truly out of the game if he was still winging it. 

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

We need to make sure Jake gets a hefty dose of credit. Someone had to throw that perfect pass, under pressure, to win the game.

From 2003-2005 you couldn't ask for a more clutch QB than Jake Delhomme. You were never truly out of the game if he was still winging it. 

He was special. In that 03 Tampa game, on the final drive—that was pure guts against what was still a dominant defense. 

Archived