• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Michael Thomas holding out of Saints camp for new deal (turned down saints offer, wants to be highest paid in league)

ncfan

3 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

The reason it was agreed to is that rookie salaries at the time were rarely justified by their performance on the field.  An unknown rookie does not deserve to get paid as much as a vet who is a known quantity.  They should look into shortening the rookie contracts to three years though.  By that time, both sides know what they have.  

Yeah who was it Sam Bradford with the last huge QB rookie deal?  They were out of hand contracts for never stepped on the field.  I agree shortening the max length to 3 years would help.  But with how it is now, I don't blame the proven players on rookie pay scale holding out that 4th year for a better deal. 

14 hours ago, Jesse said:

Michael Thomas is signed through this year. What makes you think these guys won't try to get theirs?

In my post you quoted I said Kamara will likely be extended next offseason (provided his production this year continues on the same insane pace), so it wouldn't surprise me if he were to hold out one year before his deal is up like Thomas, considering he's only scheduled to make $1.22M in the last year of his deal considering he has nowhere near the security Lattimore does with the 5th year option that is fully guaranteed for injury.

If my math is correct, the 5th year option of Lattimore's deal will pay out $11.418M (or in that neighborhood) in 2021. However, we may opt to extend him early as well depending on how he performs this year and in 2020.

Archived