• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Offensive Line

Jimmy

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

No, no, no, no. I would be willing to bet that Burns will be more like Von Miller than Dillard like Gross and it's not even remotely close. Going Dillard would have been a terrible reach over a mega-talent like Burns. I, and others in here, discussed Dillard a ton and I would not call him the undisputed best LT in this draft. Jonah Williams was the #1. If Dillard really had no question marks, he's not pick 22. Same reason why I think Little would have been there at 47. This wasn't really a great tackle class and some top guys dropped after the senior bowl (Dillard looked awful against NFL level talent) and the combine (Little dropped a lot and looked mediocre in drills and #s). We jumped up too high for Little and Houston horribly reached for Howard and Scharping. Heck, I think Atlanta sort of panicked for McGary after Dillard and Howard went.

So I was watching Dillard the other night for the Eagles.   Looked great.  And hasn’t given up a pressure this preseason.  Not to shabby for a guy the Huddle hated.  

All fine points.

From purely an “outmuscled” standpoint, I’m seeing one line getting its ass kicked, and the other playing uncoordinated, sloppy ball. 

As I said, neither is desirable. And you’re right, these are different types of plays with different types of blocking assignments. Not to mention, NE is rushing 6 and while also playing contain. It was really a textbook piece of pressure/contain defense by the Pats. 

Probably won’t spend too much more time breaking down whose line is it better or worse. My eyeball test told me today that Houston is in a less desirable spot. But we’ll have to see how it works out in the regular season. 

I have really had it with Matsko and company playing people out of their natural positions, taking six games to see it is not working, two weeks to make the needed adjustments and then viola ...they start looking like a unit

If Rivera wants to keep his job. He needs to make decisions in week 1 and adjust in week 2

Put Moton at LT, put Williams at right.  Keep the guards as they are and if Paradis isn’t ready, put in Larsen 

its just not that hard.   But I guarantee you, they will dick around and be 2 and 4 and the season will be al but lost and Newton will get the poo beat out of him again

i am sorry to say these things.  I ve just seen this show too many times

First of all it is preseason and our oline is still a work in progress. Give them time to gel  

Second, This is our first year without Ryan Kalil and Padaris is getting acclimated to our offense. There is going to be an adjustment. 

Third, as someone posted last week. Moton is our best tackle and needs to be on the right to protect the right shoulder. 

Lastly, stop the bitching about the draft.  Most of us are completely happy with Burns. Whether you wanted Ford or anyone else we have Little. Little will be our LT for years to come. He's not a bust because they want to coach him up for a season.  

Doom and gloom gets pretty annoying and we have even played a real game yet. I can't think of one preseason where we dominated.  This season is no different.  Please don't give me the 4-0 and 3-1 preseasons. Many of those games were won in the second half by the backups. 

Relax... you can panic after game one.....IF we lose.

3 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

First of all it is preseason and our oline is still a work in progress. Give them time to gel  

Second, This is our first year without Ryan Kalil and Padaris is getting acclimated to our offense. There is going to be an adjustment. 

Third, as someone posted last week. Moton is our best tackle and needs to be on the right to protect the right shoulder. 

Relax... you can panic after game one.....IF we lose.

Williams was a more than adequate RT.  You know this 

IMO He does not look like a more than adequate LT, you know,  the blind side 

I’ll say this, if the panthers should win opening game, it will not be because of this line, it will be in spite of it 

The time to gel was in OTAs, in mini camps, in training camp, in preseason games and practice or on at least one series or two series in preseason   I mean sweet baby Jesus what DO they do at practice 

The NFC is not going to give the Panthers time to ‘gel’ and if they stopped their penchant of signing key players off of injury that might help speed up that gel process 

2 minutes ago, raleigh-panther said:

Williams was a more than adequate RT.  You know this 

IMO He does not look like a more than adequate LT, you know,  the blind side 

I’ll say this, if the panthers should win opening game, it will not be because of this line, it will be in spite of it 

The time to gel was in OTAs, in mini camps, in training camp, in preseason games and practice or on at least one series or two series in preseason   I mean sweet baby Jesus what DO they do at practice 

The NFC is not going to give the Panthers time to ‘gel’ and if they stopped their penchant of signing key players off of injury that might help speed up that gel process 

You're right about one thing.  No one is going to give us anything. Live action in two weeks so we better get our shyt  together. 

You know as well as I do OTA and mini camps contact is very limited so the opportunity to gel is limited.

Moton or Williams at RT is a toss up. Your opinion is Williams should be RT. Got it. The coaching staff thinks differently.  So I guess they are idiot because they don't agree with you.  Got it.

Got news for you. If we beat the Rams the line will receive a lot of the credit. And if we win and they looked bad. That's one more week to get better.

12 hours ago, ellis said:

Neither is good enough, FWIW. One is slightly worse, IMO. 

4C5C1E38-B49D-46DE-AA58-FFE1F76B92E5.gif

AA0BC337-8786-4861-952C-E6800909AA71.gif

There's a huge difference between those two plays, in favor of the panthers. Cam has time to make a play, the houston qb doesn't. Cam has 3 seconds to throw the ball. What Cam has to do on a play like that is get the ball out quickly. If that's Brees or Brady, ball is gone before they're touched by a DLineman.

Don't know the play, maybe it was all deep routes, but even then, Cam can just throw the ball away.

20 minutes ago, falconidae said:

There's a huge difference between those two plays, in favor of the panthers. Cam has time to make a play, the houston qb doesn't. Cam has 3 seconds to throw the ball. What Cam has to do on a play like that is get the ball out quickly. If that's Brees or Brady, ball is gone before they're touched by a DLineman.

Don't know the play, maybe it was all deep routes, but even then, Cam can just throw the ball away.

Thank you. Don't know why anyone thinks the line should hold up under a blitz for 5 or 6 seconds.  It is on the QB, receivers and running backs to see the blitz coming and adjust the play or the protections to counter the blitz. People make so many excuses for Cam which ironically he would likely disagree with. He knows he needs to do better against the blitz or teams will keep blitzing until he can show people he can beat it.

28 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Thank you. Don't know why anyone thinks the line should hold up under a blitz for 5 or 6 seconds.  It is on the QB, receivers and running backs to see the blitz coming and adjust the play or the protections to counter the blitz. People make so many excuses for Cam which ironically he would likely disagree with. He knows he needs to do better against the blitz or teams will keep blitzing until he can show people he can beat it.

So which receiver on that play was ready to receive a pass from Cam by the time the pressure was there - and it was a lot sooner than 5 or 6 seconds? While I wait for your response...

Very few actually make excuses for Cam Newton. A lot of us just hold him to the same standards as every other QB in the NFL. His effort to keep the play alive in that clip is exemplary - likely failing only because his ankle gave way. But all you can see is he should have thrown the ball away - because that always works out well. How many interceptions/fumbles has Cam made trying to "hang in there" and make a play from the pocket? He tried that before in a Super Bowl. Didn't work out so well. Is it okay if Russel Wilson escapes the pocket to extend the play? 

QBs like Cam are always going to hang in there and try to find a way to make a play. It's just who they are as a player. Don't be bitching and moaning about Cam occasionally taking a sack and then cheering when he makes a big scramble or escapes the pressure to get a throw off for a big gain. The characteristics that lead to both are one in the same.

Archived