• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I've seen enough of Grier

chknwing

30 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

On Thursday he completed 10 of his first 14 passes for 175 yards and a TD. For a rookie, those are the flashes you look for. Anyone discrediting that is just a blind hater who wouldn’t know any better anyway. 

He also had a bad tendency to throw to the other team.  Don't get me wrong, I hope he gets a chance to improve with us, but it is disconcerting.  

On 8/30/2019 at 1:29 AM, trueblade said:

As others have mentioned, he didn't look as good as other third and fourth round picks drafted this year. I'm also old enough to remember a guy being drafted in the third round and looked so good in his rookie preseason, he took over the starter gig from a highly paid free agent signed earlier that off-season. He went on to win a Super Bowl, and probably should have won a second so can we stop with the "he was drafted in the third round" as some sort of excuse for his poor play. 

Remembering Russell wilson’s rookie year warrants an ‘old enough to’?

Cherry picking an example from a draft round doesn’t make it the norm.  You can’t say “I’m old enough to remember this kid get drafted in the 6th round who went on to win a bajillion Super Bowls, marry a super model and be labeled the goat by many.  So this other 6th rd an doesn’t even have a girlfriend yet and looks bad in his first preseason has no excuse”

A qb drafted in the third round isn’t supposed to play better than Grier has. It’s not uncommon for qbs drafted in the first to play like he has and go on to great careers. 

A bunch of silly talk. 

Some of the better QBs in the league history started off bad...in the regular season. 

Look at the stats and ratings of some of the greats like Manning and Brees during their entire rookie season. And, no, I'm not saying Grier hasn't looked like a train wreck at times, but it's simply just ludicrously too early to be giving up on him.

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

A bunch of silly talk. 

Some of the better QBs in the league history started off bad...in the regular season. 

Look at the stats and ratings of some of the greats like Manning and Brees during their entire rookie season. And, no, I'm saying Grier hasn't looked like a train wreck at times, but it's simply just ludicrously too early to be giving up on him.

What if Cam goes down and Grier comes in over Allen and starts the last 11 games?  He completes 47.5% of his passes, throws 7 TDs and 14 interceptions. Would the Huddle want him cut, tarred, feathered, and sent out of town on a rail?  Sure they would.  To be fair, Grier was playing behind the second and third team offense during the preseason, so we should expect better play with the starters, right? 

The QB that actually posted those numbers during his rookie season is now wearing a yellow jacket.   John Elway.

35 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

He also had a bad tendency to throw to the other team.  Don't get me wrong, I hope he gets a chance to improve with us, but it is disconcerting.  

A lot of that can be contributed to miscommunication with his WRs as a result of fewer reps in practice. Rivera said so himself. But aside from that, all rookie quarterbacks throw interceptions. 

I’d also like to add that if I’m not mistaken, every interception we had this preseason was on a pass to Mickens. Probably more than a coincidence. 

53 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

A lot of that can be contributed to miscommunication with his WRs as a result of fewer reps in practice. Rivera said so himself. But aside from that, all rookie quarterbacks throw interceptions. 

I’d also like to add that if I’m not mistaken, every interception we had this preseason was on a pass to Mickens. Probably more than a coincidence. 

For Grier, only the last one was to Mickens.  First one was Godwin, the second one (the really bad one) was T Smith.  Although to me it looked like it was intended for Kevin Johnson (Bills Cornerback).  

And if you compare Grier to other rookie qb's in the league this year, he is one of the worst.  Don't get me wrong, I hope we can keep him and he improves, but at best he has had an inauspicious start with us.

Archived