• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucs release 2016 1st round pick Vernon Hargreaves

ncfan

Just now, thefuzz said:

If you get him off of waivers, the contract sticks with the player.  After he clears then you can pick him up and offer him whatever you want.

Correct. But he is also in the last year of his deal. It was a 4 year deal with a 5th year team option. If we picked him up, we would just owe the remainder of this year's salary which I believe would even be less the signing bonus portion(which should have already been paid). So, essentially he would be a pretty cheap rental.

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Correct. But he is also in the last year of his deal. It was a 4 year deal with a 5th year team option. If we picked him up, we would just owe the remainder of this year's salary which I believe would even be less the signing bonus portion(which should have already been paid). So, essentially he would be a pretty cheap rental.

No doubt, I'm not saying not to do it, but this years cap numbers do go with him.

Just now, Forty-Eight said:

Hargreaves was one of my favorite CB prospects coming out the draft. Never lived up to the hype but early this year, he showed some big improvements. I hope the Panthers claim him but he won’t last long. Probably be in Cincinnati, Miami or somewhere soon.

Forty-Eight is Chuck confirmed

6 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but that's like 4.5 mil. We have something like 14 mil in cap space available.

Yeah but keep in mind you can now roll cap space forward, so every dollar we spend this year on a player is one less dollar that can be used next year towards CMC's signing. Cap space is no longer use it or lose it year to year.

25 minutes ago, jumpman910 said:

Difference is McCoy was once good and is still productive, Vernon's never been good. 

He was their best CB (not saying much) earlier in the season.

They cut McCoy because of drop off in production and lack of effort / not being as disruptive. They are saying similar things about Hargreaves.

I wouldn’t blame a player for being disgruntled with the dumpster fire down in Tampa.

2 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

He was their best CB (not saying much) earlier in the season.

They cut McCoy because of drop off in production and lack of effort / not being as disruptive. They are saying similar things about Hargreaves.

I wouldn’t blame a player for being disgruntled with the dumpster fire down in Tampa.

True, but in a league where every game is on tape and only the best players wind up playing their entire career with a single team, your motivation as a player has to be to market yourself for future employers even if you aren't happy with the situation where you are. There are perfectly good reasons in the NFL to play lights out if you can even if your team blows chunks and is going nowhere. When a player doesn't, imo that is a major red flag.

Archived