• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3-4

ellis

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Sad to say it but Rivera is kind of like Wile E Coyote sometimes. When he thinks he's being smart, he's actually just setting himself up for failure.

I'm sure he thought this whole defensive scheme change was a great idea. Hasn't worked out so well though.

This defense would be a beast if we had an elite offense to build a lead and then let them protect it. In close games or comeback situations though, it's just not a front seven that can hold up against a balanced attack.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

This defense would be a beast if we had an elite offense to build a lead and then let them protect it. In close games or comeback situations though, it's just not a front seven that can hold up against a balanced attack.

If you had half a brain though, you had to know that depending on Newton to return fully healthy this season was a risk.

I have nothing against Kyle Allen, but I really did believe we'd go into this season with a veteran backup.

It’s the “gap responsible” defense Rivera has used. Kuechly is practically playing defensive tackle by being responsible for one gap and one gap only. Let him be a sideline to sideline guy, not “hey you’re responsible for the B gap” 

One guy being out of place in this type of defense is detrimental, instead of in the past where if a D-Lineman made a mistake, they had Luke and TD playing back from depth to clean up.  

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

If you had half a brain though, you had to know that depending on Newton to return fully healthy this season was a risk.

I have nothing against Kyle Allen, but I really did believe we'd go into this season with a veteran backup.

I'm just saying, I really think this D was built around the idea that we were going to put a 2015-esque offense on the field.

3 minutes ago, JARROD said:

It’s not the scheme. It’s almost never the scheme.  It’s failing to put players in their best position to win plays. 

wade Phillips said that 

I don’t disagree. Check out the clip above. These are speed rushers vs 22 personnel. Of course they’re going to get gashed. 

1 minute ago, panthers34 said:

It’s the “gap responsible” defense Rivera has used. Kuechly is practically playing defensive tackle by being responsible for one gap and one gap only. Let him be a sideline to sideline guy, not “hey you’re responsible for the B gap” 

One guy being out of place in this type of defense is detrimental, instead of in the past where if a D-Lineman made a mistake, they had Luke and TD playing back from depth to clean up.  

Exactly, and it’s a horrible way to utilize 59’s Strengths. 

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm just saying, I really think this D was built around the idea that we were going to put a 2015-esque offense on the field.

Oh, I agree. I just think that notion was probably heavily dependent on the belief that Newton would be back healthy.

We're basically developing a rookie quarterback this year. And while that's not a bad thing, it's not conducive to winning right now.

1 minute ago, ellis said:

I don’t disagree. Check out the clip above. These are speed rushers vs 22 personnel. Of course they’re going to get gashed. 

We discussed this and n the pre-season. Especially Luke being wasted. Didn’t your brother have similar thoughts this was coming. 

Archived