• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who does Josh Allen remind you of...

Jmac

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Completion percentage isn't a great stat to go by.

Your receiver makes a circus catch of a lousy pass, you get credit.

Your receiver drops a ball that hit them right in the numbers, you get the blame.

For the record, I still see Allen as "general vicinity" accurate, same as Favre.

And judging by one’s “eye test” is better? If completion % is the stat to go by, then what is?

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Completion percentage isn't a great stat to go by.

Your receiver makes a circus catch of a lousy pass, you get credit.

Your receiver drops a ball that hit them right in the numbers, you get the blame.

For the record, I still see Allen as "general vicinity" accurate, same as Favre.

Over years and a career it certainly is a good indicator.

4 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

And judging by one’s “eye test” is better? If completion % is the stat to go by, then what is?

I'm not a stat guy. Stats can be deceiving.

Most quarterbacks of this type have accuracy that varies, sometimes wildly. They can throw one pass that looks like it was laser guided and follow it up with one that makes you wonder what the hell they were aiming at.

That's pretty much how Newton was under Shula, though he got a lot better under Turner. Some would probably say that's because we tended toward shorter throws, but shorter throws were actually what he had trouble with before.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not a stat guy. Stats can be deceiving.

Most quarterbacks of this type have accuracy that varies, sometimes wildly. They can throw one pass that looks like it was laser guided and follow it up with one that makes you wonder what the hell they were aiming at.

That's pretty much how Newton was under Shula, though he got a lot better under Turner. Some would probably say that's because we tended toward shorter throws, but shorter throws were actually what he had trouble with before.

And how do you know he had trouble with shorter throws? Is it YOUR eye test? I just want to know what makes Allen a more accurate passer, when throwing stats don’t say that? 

If stats can be deceiving, then how are we to know who’s an “accurate” thrower or not? Where is proof that Allen is more accurate?

1 minute ago, AggieLean said:

And how do you know he had trouble with shorter throws? Is it YOUR eye test? I just want to know what makes Allen a more accurate passer, when throwing stats don’t say that? 

If stats can be deceiving, then how are we to know who’s an “accurate” thrower or not? Where is proof that Allen is more accurate?

Where did I say he was?

1 minute ago, mav1234 said:

do you tihnk either player is more accurate than the other?

I don't think there's a huge difference either way but if I have to pick one, probably Newton, at least as long as we're talking about the Norv Turner coached version of Newton. Allen's good but he's still young and kinda raw.

Like I said, both guys are what I would classify as Brett Favre type passers. Not sure if people take that as a negative but they shouldn't. I could probably name you at least a half dozen teams that won Super Bowls with "general vicinity" type passers (all four of Bradshaw's Super Bowls, for example).

4 minutes ago, AggieLean said:

Cam. is pretty inconsistent with his high throws!! And when he does hit the receivers are in shock !! Just sayin!! His slow demeanor to the line drives me crazy!! I like Allen getting up and fast and trying to see things!! He’s frustrating but I like him!! Next year will be interesting .. I think we keep him and Cam!! Cam goes down again.. Allen is the man!!

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Where did I say he was?

You didn’t say it, but your jumping in the conversation between @PantherPhann and I, signified to me that you were trying to defend Josh Allen being a more accurate QB than Cam Newton.

Otherwise, what is the point in saying what you said to me? Again, if completion % isn’t a good measure of accuracy, then what is?

Archived