• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton plans to have foot surgery

SgtJoo

3 minutes ago, WoahW said:

It doesn’t fit his narrative plus all the twitter insiders he follows say something else and clearly they know all and see all. 

Well I get what he's saying. The Panthers could still make the playoffs, but I'm just saying loses to the 2 worst teams on schedule takes away any hope of a late season run against the Saints and Seahawks. 

Mathematically still alive but realistically (which is what Cam sees now) there ain't a shot in Hell. 

8 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

You don't cut bait with a player like Cam because of cap hit - unless you have a replacement at least close to his level of talent.

And you don't fire a head coach mid-season unless there's someone on the staff who can step in as an interim. I've heard that conventional wisdom, too.

Cap hit is only one reason.

New head coach, new GM, VP/COO are valid reasons. Doesn't recover from surgery, can't run is another. And the replacement idea- when you say "close to his level of talent," can you narrow that down a bit? Level of talent being the last time we saw him on the field? 2015- 4 years ago talent? Or crystal ball talent- he'll be great in 2021!

Because, while I don't believe Kyle Allen is the answer, he is a better running QB talent that we've seen from Cam in the last 2 seasons.

6 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Lol what kind of moronic take is this

The question was about talent, which is a relative measureable. 

Cam can hardly walk right now, hence, he's not playing. Kyle Allen is playing and can run. Therefore, Allen is a better running talent than Cam is right now. 

29 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Not sure what you're asking here. Please be more specific. 

Having surgery now means he should be back at least towards the tail end of training camp - 7 months from now. Probably a lot sooner. The team should know well before then if he's worth the risk. If Cam is healthy I'd extend him even if I wanted to trade him. Every QB needy team won't be able to draft one in April - without reaching.

You don't have to be sold on Cam to see he's a commodity that shouldn't just be released. His potential value is much too high. The players and draft picks he could garner far exceed what you could pick up via FA by releasing him and using his cap hit.

More specific on the offseason workouts and TC availability?  He needs reps, he needs to learn a new offense, he needs to get on the same page as his receivers.  By him delaying surgery, he is just pushing back on that timeline....and he hasn't even had the surgery yet, just said that he intends to.

You CANNOT extend Cam at this time.  Not only is he coming off a foot injury, he has a degenerative condition in his throwing shoulder.  To give him another dime at this time would be one of the dumbest moves in sports, unless he signed a deal that would have zero cap ramifications....which he won't.

I don't want Cam released, I want him healthy and in a Panthers uniform....I just don't think that either of those are likely, and I don't want to battle with him.  He has done enough for this franchise for it to do right by him.

4 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

The question was about talent, which is a relative measureable. 

Cam can hardly walk right now, hence, he's not playing. Kyle Allen is playing and can run. Therefore, Allen is a better running talent than Cam is right now. 

The LAST 2 SEASONS? That’s the reach. Most of us can run better than Cam right now. 

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Value.

5 year contract paying 3-4M per year for a young player with many less miles on the odometer, vs. older banged up player who will cost us 21M this coming year, and by some miracle gets healthy would cost us 30M+ over the next handful after that.

I'm not saying that I'm interested or pushing for Tua, but there is reason to keep an eye on him.

What about the value of that 1st round pick? I'm just very leery of drafting guys with a significant injury history.

Simply trying to project college prospects to the NFL level is difficult enough as is without health red flags being involved.

1 hour ago, raz said:

tua all the way, or jalen

Tua maybe if he is completely healthy but he has a lot of question marks:

Size, Arm Strength, Injury History, Lack of Mobility, Left handed, Amazing supporting cast, Faltered in NC game, etc

Of course others also have question marks as well

Not a fan of Hurts game

Burrow is clearly the best QB available, he is having the best QB season in SEC history.  His stats are incredible to be honest.  Good arm, mobile with great pocket awareness.  He is the #1 pick if that is Cincy.

Cam's passing mechanics have always been horrible. Cam's accuracy has always been below average.

Now, 2 shoulder surgeries, a foot surgery, and 4 seasons removed from his best statistical year and people are still holding out hope that Cam Newton comes back to lead this team to the promised land. Face facts- we've seen the best of Cam Newton.

"A man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic man."

4 hours ago, Toomers said:

Whatever keeps him from playing another down here....I’m all for it. 

EDIT: This is because I don’t want Cam playing for a rebuilding team and that OL. This is not a shot at Cam in any way. 

Where exactly do you expect Cam to go that has a good OL? Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers, Titans, Bears, Bucs and Broncos all have bad OLs. All but the Bears and maybe the Chargers could be considered rebuilds. The rest of the teams in the NFL aren’t looking for a new QB.

This magical football dreamland where everything is perfectly set up for Cam does not exist.

Archived