• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trade down for an OT?

AU-panther

1 hour ago, 45catfan said:

I could see us moving back to the Raiders (still can't say Las Vegas) or the Colts.  Gruden has seemingly given up on Carr and if Love blows up at the combine and his Pro day, this may be  areal possibility.  Everyone know the Colts are in the QB market, but for some reason, I've not seen them projected to move up outside of a few mock locally (myself included in one of those mocks).  Apparently people think Herbert of Love will fall to them, but will they?  My prediction is if Herbert or Love goes to the Chargers, some folks those two particular war rooms will start getting very nervous and that could benefit us.

Now, on the flip side, I'm not just a trade down no matter what...it depends on what shakes out.  If Brown AND Okunda are gone, then I'm for it.  We need defense.  I'm iffy on Simmons. No question he has great athletic ability, but is he a generational LB in terms of his knowledge of the game?  Not so sure on that one and I think people are completely infatuated with his measurables.

In short, I'm okay trading down in the right scenario, but not if a key cog of the future is still on the board at #7.  If that were to occur, yes, OT would definitely be a target several spots later with someone like Becton.

I think the Raiders are more likely to make a splash in free agency at QB than in the draft, just because they will probably want to start the Las Vegas era strong. But, that will depend on if they can get a guy like Rivers/Bridgewater/Brady/Tannehill/etc. in free agency. I know Gruden loves a good QB prospect but I am not sure they will go that route. They do potentially have enough ammo to trade ahead of us for a QB, however. They have two firsts and three 3rd round picks this year. 

If I were them, I'd stand pat on those. They could potentially get 2-4 starters out of that kind of draft capital.

As for us, one of the oddly good things about having so many roster holes is that we can pretty easily stick to BPA. At our pick we may have a chance at a top 4 QB, the top OT, the top DT, the top LB, the top CB, etc, etc. I don't see us trading down, nor do I really see a need to do so.

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I think the Raiders are more likely to make a splash in free agency at QB than in the draft, just because they will probably want to start the Las Vegas era strong. But, that will depend on if they can get a guy like Rivers/Bridgewater/Brady/Tannehill/etc. in free agency. I know Gruden loves a good QB prospect but I am not sure they will go that route. They do potentially have enough ammo to trade ahead of us for a QB, however. They have two firsts and three 3rd round picks this year. 

If I were them, I'd stand pat on those. They could potentially get 2-4 starters out of that kind of draft capital.

I could see that, but I could also see Gruden wanting to draft a QB to put a stamp on the new era in Vegas.  I'm thinking Love, but he has to have a monster combine to move into the top 10.  Herbert also has to be gone too.  With both still on the board after the Chargers pick, both the Raiders and Colts will likely stand pat.  If Herbert is gone and Love is the next one up...I think both of those teams consider moving up, especially the Colts.

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

You literally have to wait until after the combine. It exists for a reason. Someone could jump up. All of a sudden that guy who isn't worth it now is. Problem is, if we do trade down, it'll be b/c someone wants a QB and unless its Herbert, we will probably take that QB. I just don't see it happening.

Outside of the top 3 QBs, there are really only 4 players I see teams willing to give up picks to go get. Okudah, Brown, Simmons and Kinlaw(I think his stock jumps after combine). The question is where from. Vegas? Jax at 9? Indy wont move unless a QB is there. Miami to 7 for a QB for their 1sts. There are lots of possibilities.

11 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

I could see that, but I could also see Gruden wanting to draft a QB to put a stamp on the new era in Vegas.  I'm thinking Love, but he has to have a monster combine to move into the top 10.  Herbert also has to be gone too.  With both still on the board after the Chargers pick, both the Raiders and Colts will likely stand pat.  If Herbert is gone and Love is the next one up...I think both of those teams consider moving up, especially the Colts.

And some of these QB needy teams may end up filling their openings through free agency, as well. Guys like Mariota, Winston, Rivers, Bridgewater, Brady(maybe) and Tannehill(maybe) could end up taking some of those teams out of the running for a 1st round QB. 

It's gonna be a pretty interesting start to free agency.

7 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

And some of these QB needy teams may end up filling their openings through free agency, as well. Guys like Mariota, Winston, Rivers, Bridgewater, Brady(maybe) and Tannehill(maybe) could end up taking some of those teams out of the running for a 1st round QB. 

It's gonna be a pretty interesting start to free agency.

Bridgewater is the only long-term solution out of those. Mariota an Winston will not go anywhere as the clear-cut #1.  Probably with the promise to compete for starting spot, but not handed the keys to the franchise.

Agreed, very interesting times ahead.

57 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

Bridgewater is the only long-term solution out of those. Mariota an Winston will not go anywhere as the clear-cut #1.  Probably with the promise to compete for starting spot, but not handed the keys to the franchise.

Agreed, very interesting times ahead.

I think that just depends on the scenario. I could see Winston getting another shot as a starter right away. It is much more likely you see them go somewhere on a short term deal to compete with a rookie QB.

Lions GM Bob Quinn is open to a potential trade down from the No. 3 overall pick in the first round.

Quinn said he hasn’t been contacted by any teams about a potential trade yet, but those tend to happen at the NFL Scouting Combine, set to start next week. -----------

Dolphins at No. 5, Chargers at No. 6 and the Panthers at No. 7, who could consider making a move up to No. 3 to make sure they secure Tagovailoa 

If Brown is either gone or is not an option with this staff *AND* if there is one of the 1st round QB still there worth the pick, shop it to the QB-hungry teams, absolutely.  Good call.

(I'd take Brown though, so this would only apply in my "world" if Brown had been picked before the Panther's pick.)

54 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

It surprises me that a lot of people are convinced Miami stays put, I think they almost have to move up to make sure they get their QB.  If the go to 2nd that changes what Detroit does which could have a ripple effect.

Bengals -draft Burrow, Skins-Haskins, Detroit-Stafford and Giants-Jones.  Why would Miami have to move up in order to get Tua?

Archived