• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

5 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

The numbers are not that far off between the two.  The real difference is that New York completed fuged themselves and it was an unspeakable hell, so now when they get their numbers down closer to Florida they look like frickin heros. 

I think I’m starting to understand the disconnect now. Whenever I use the term “trends” and reference NY, you seem to take that as me handing them a shiny gold “Most Improved” trophy. That’s not what this is about...this isn’t some feel-good Disney Channel “Worst to First” redemption story. I couldn’t care less if we’re talking about NYC going from 10,000 -> 500 daily cases vs. some middle-of-nowhere town in South Dakota going from 10 -> 3 daily cases. All I want to see are promising declining trends which indicate that a city or state is getting this virus under control. As of now, NY is exhibiting that trend. Florida? Not so much.

I have it.  Virtually no symptoms aside from a little nausea and sore throat.  Only reason I decided to get a test was out of an abundance of caution before visiting my mother, which I was wise to do, as I certainly wouldn't want her to be infected. That being said, it is literally the most vanilla illness I've ever had in my life.

Now my own body's response is not indicative of everyone's, but I do know that the overwhelming majority of people who have it or have gotten it share my experience.  I would suggest putting the brakes on the hysteria.  Humans have battled with viruses for millions of years.  We'll beat this one the same way we've beaten all others... by allowing ourselves to develop immunity to it.  Believe it or not, the rapid rise in cases is accompanied by a drastic fall off in number of deaths... That's because the people who NEED to get infected ARE getting infected, which are the young and healthy.

• Pie 2

Listen, we get it. For some of y'all, it won't matter if a million are dead. We'll be hearing about how that's well under 1% of the American population and it's still no big deal and still just a librul hoax to hurt Trump. 

It's interesting how the crowd that accuses the people who actually understand how to interpret data of only being emotionally driven.

• Pie 1
  • Poo 1

here in madison county at least 80% of the folks at ingles, lowes, and the PO were in masks today.   the aggravating part is that most of the folks who weren't wearing masks are exactly the same people many of us are wearing masks for.  

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, DeAngelo Beason said:

I have it.  Virtually no symptoms aside from a little nausea and sore throat.  Only reason I decided to get a test was out of an abundance of caution before visiting my mother, which I was wise to do, as I certainly wouldn't want her to be infected. That being said, it is literally the most vanilla illness I've ever had in my life.

Now my own body's response is not indicative of everyone's, but I do know that the overwhelming majority of people who have it or have gotten it share my experience.  I would suggest putting the brakes on the hysteria.  Humans have battled with viruses for millions of years.  We'll beat this one the same way we've beaten all others... by allowing ourselves to develop immunity to it.  Believe it or not, the rapid rise in cases is accompanied by a drastic fall off in number of deaths... That's because the people who NEED to get infected ARE getting infected, which are the young and healthy.

Simply suggesting that people wear masks and practice social distancing (which is by far the most prevalent messaging out there) is far from "hysteria". Shutdowns aren't warranted IMO. The data shows that wearing simple face masks and practicing social distancing is VERY effective.

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, raz said:

here in madison county at least 80% of the folks at ingles, lowes, and the PO were in masks today.   the aggravating part is that most of the folks who weren't wearing masks are exactly the same people many of us are wearing masks for.  

Ain't that the damn truth. Mask wearing in CO was very high, but it sure seemed like on the occasion you'd see someone not wearing a mask, the looked like they likely checked every risk factor box on the list.

5 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

There numbers are still around other locations that people say are sucking. 

Jesus, can you please just take 3 seconds to google what a trend is so we don’t keep going around in circles. I don’t want to overwhelm you so I am sorry for introducing a second buzzword, but trends are extremely helpful when making projections.

Let’s say City A goes from 10,000 daily cases in April to 2,500 in May to 1,000 in June.

City B goes from 100 daily cases in April to 500 daily cases in May to 1,000 daily cases in June.

Do you consider these two cities to be in exactly the exact predicament with CoVID simply because they’re both averaging currently averaging 1,000 cases? Or does one concern you more than the other?

Just now, MasterAwesome said:

Jesus, can you please just take 3 seconds to google what a trend is so we don’t keep going around in circles. I don’t want to overwhelm you so I am sorry for introducing a second buzzword, but trends are extremely helpful when making projections.

Let’s say City A goes from 10,000 daily cases in April to 2,500 in May to 1,000 in June.

City B goes from 100 daily cases in April to 500 daily cases in May to 1,000 daily cases in June.

Do you consider these two cities to be in exactly the exact predicament with CoVID simply because they’re both averaging currently averaging 1,000 cases? Or does one concern you more than the other?

the ignore button is your friend.   

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Listen, we get it. For some of y'all, it won't matter if a million are dead. We'll be hearing about how that's well under 1% of the American population and it's still no big deal and still just a librul hoax to hurt Trump. 

It's interesting how the crowd that accuses the people who actually understand how to interpret data of only being emotionally driven.

Trump does not drive my opinion of the virus.  He drives about 95% of the posts in this VIRUS thread.  D and R, its an election year and you are not immune to the emotions.  Did not vote for Trump before, don't plan on it this fall.  He does not make a rats azz to me as far as the virus.

You guys expect the same dynamics we experienced in March to hold true forever.  It won't, and it is not.  Now, for your sake, if the deaths stopped tomorrow, Trump would not get credit.  Hoping you can sleep better now.  So can you talk outside of your political obsessions?

What if FL does NOT experience the deaths at the rates NYC did?  What if they develop the herd immunity quicker than other states?  A big risk seeing how many retired folks live there.  But if all the bar hopping under 40 crowd gets it and it is truly vanilla, then will FL be better off?  I know it is hard to think outside the box, but give it a try, and remember, Trump won't get the credit. 

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Simply suggesting that people wear masks and practice social distancing (which is by far the most prevalent messaging out there) is far from "hysteria". Shutdowns aren't warranted IMO. The data shows that wearing simple face masks and practicing social distancing is VERY effective.

I absolutely agree with you. I wasn't really directing my comments at you, just at the thread in general, which obviously is a bit hysteric considering it's at a whopping 370+ pages now.  People need to mask up.  Stop being hard-headed.  The internet hates it when people say they're libertarian, but my gun toting, don't-tread-on-me, God-loving, taxation-is-theft, libertarian ass is wearing a mask, and everyone else needs to as well.  

Our liberties end where they begin to affect the liberties of others.  WEAR.  A.  MASK.  

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, Wes21 said:

The numbers are not that far off between the two.  The real difference is that New York completed fuged themselves and it was an unspeakable hell, so now when they get their numbers down closer to Florida they look like frickin heros. 

Few points:

1. Florida is entering a frightening trend in the last week or so, with no end in sight. That's what we should be worrying about and focusing on. Does it really matter how much worse it is than New York? If New York is doing just as terribly (which it isn't), it doesn't make Florida's situation any better or less scary or demanding any less urgency to correct. Trying to focus the conversation away from that point is counterproductive.

2. The links you posted actually demonstrate the stark difference in trends well. New York's new cases has dwindled down and stayed down for weeks while Florida's has shot way, way up.

3. Notice I didn't mention deaths, which while Florida has more, it's not as striking as the new cases. I know you tried to reference the similar deaths earlier when implying the states are in similar situations. Time of infection to death is often 3 weeks or so. It's only been in the last week that cases started erupting in Florida. So it'll be another 2 weeks before the deaths even start translating. And if cases keep doubling every week like they have been, then it's going to be even scarier 4 or 5 weeks from now. We should circle back around and put the deaths side by side a month from now and see how you feel about it.

4. New York had lots of cases before most anyone was taking COVID seriously and there was little to no testing available in the US. They're an international hot spot; thousands of people from overseas, including contacts through China and other COVID epicenters, were making their way into NYC back when our leadership was acting like COVID was nothing and wouldn't hit the US beyond a dozen cases or so. No testing and no guidelines for social distancing and mask usage in a city that is so densely packed made an environment ripe for mass spread. Meanwhile, the world has known about the dangers of COVID for months and the need for social distancing and mask usage has been spread far and wide. Despite that, Florida (among others) is seeing frightening exponential growth. To say both deserve equal blame for mishandling the situation, although while admittedly not the important thing to focus on, is also inaccurate. That's not to say New York couldn't have done better or that Florida didn't make any effort. But equating the two situations is painting quite a selective brush. 

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, stirs said:

Trump does not drive my opinion of the virus.  He drives about 95% of the posts in this VIRUS thread.  D and R, its an election year and you are not immune to the emotions.  Did not vote for Trump before, don't plan on it this fall.  He does not make a rats azz to me as far as the virus.

You guys expect the same dynamics we experienced in March to hold true forever.  It won't, and it is not.  Now, for your sake, if the deaths stopped tomorrow, Trump would not get credit.  Hoping you can sleep better now.  So can you talk outside of your political obsessions?

What if FL does NOT experience the deaths at the rates NYC did?  What if they develop the herd immunity quicker than other states?  A big risk seeing how many retired folks live there.  But if all the bar hopping under 40 crowd gets it and it is truly vanilla, then will FL be better off?  I know it is hard to think outside the box, but give it a try, and remember, Trump won't get the credit. 

You're the only one talking about Trump right now. All of my posts you've been responding to have been talking about pure data and expert opinions. You're telling on yourself a bit invoking Trump.

*My bad, forgot about my Trump comment on that previous post. Working on about five different spreadsheets of number crunching right now because that's a big part of what I do. It's why I focus so much on number crunching whether we're talking football or COVID.

• Pie 1