• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corona Virus

Ja  Rhule

2 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I think Governors are intentionally avoiding the language of martial law. However, the National Guard is already deployed in 22 states and could be called on to uphold the law. So is it martial law, even if it’s not called martial law?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/inside-us-militarys-plans-stop-civil-disturbances-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-something-they-1493485%3famp=1

Martial Law is direct military control of government functions.  There is a difference between that and using the national guard to keep the peace or to assist in a disaster.  I believe the last time it was used in the US was when the governor of Alabama felt the local government of a county was corrupt, so he stood them down, and allowed the National Guard to take over control of police operations. 

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

But @Davidson Deac II is right. Outside of maybe a handful of major cities per state, martial law would essentially be an impossibility. The country is just too big and the population too spread out.

What we really need is people to just listen to good advice because enforcing a quarantine at a national level in America just isn't possible.

I agree, it is possible that each state will begin to limit transportation and force residents to remain at home. In large cities, the local law enforcement may not be able to control or contain it. That is why the Guard is already deployed and ready to assume command if called upon. The article states that federal agencies can not call martial law, unless violence or unruly acts are committed. However, each state can call for the Guard and they have. These are unprecedented times.

4 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I agree, it is possible that each state will begin to limit transportation and force residents to remain at home. In large cities, the local law enforcement may not be able to control or contain it. That is why the Guard is already deployed and ready to assume command if called upon. The article states that federal agencies can not call martial law, unless violence or unruly acts are committed. However, each state can call for the Guard and they have. These are unprecedented times.

Just to put it into perspective, just the Denver metro area is over 8000 square miles. There are only 3500 in the entire Colorado National Guard. That's roughly one person for every 2.3 square miles. Meanwhile, there's almost 3 million residents in those 8000 square miles.

That's not gonna work unless people willingly comply in which case it's unnecessary to begin with.

8 minutes ago, philit99 said:

I think you'd benefit from more time with your beautiful lady :)

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We have about 18" of snow on the ground from yesterday. We're at least 6 weeks out from sustained warmer weather here.

2 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Its interesting that North Carolina has the highest number of cases for any state that has not actually experienced a death.  Hopefully, that says something positive about the states handling of the issue so far.  Although its probably a large amount of luck.

Rather be lucky than good?

And been over 80 for the past 3 days here.

Edited by motocross_cat
  • Pie 1