• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why we should consider OT, or atleast pretend to

AU-panther

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

What did the combine really say though? Everyone gets caught up in Wirfs' 40 time and Becton's 40 at his size but a 40 time isn't much of a measure for an OT. Thomas had a faster three cone and 20 yard shuttle than any of the other top OT prospects. You can't teach that type of agility with 36" arms.

The combine says his measurables are plenty good enough to transition to the NFL.

People get caught up with idea that the best measurables equate to the best production.  Measurables help you predict if the production will translate at the next level.  His measurables are plenty good enough to be a high level LT at the next level.

14 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

The combine says his measurables are plenty good enough to transition to the NFL.

People get caught up with idea that the best measurables equate to the best production.  Measurables help you predict if the production will translate at the next level.  His measurables are plenty good enough to be a high level LT at the next level.

Ben Bartch, ST. John's, Isaiah Wilson, Georgia, and Matt Peart, UConn will be the ones whom you will watch.  Wilson played RT at Georgia.  Peart and Bartch had a outstanding performance at the Senior Bowl and both impressed a lot of scouts.  Bartch might end up as a guard which for a DIII tackle would be good or at less given a chance to develop into a NFL tackle.

I value RT and LT much higher than DT, of either size type or system.

Most DT's play about 50% of the defensive snaps, Donald led the league in all defensive linemen in % of plays per game average at 58%.

There is just so much more value at either OT position.

Also, Lane Johnson and Mitchell Schwartz, both known as some of the very best RT's in the game....were key contributors to the Chiefs and the Eagles winning the Lombardi.

I'm OK with pretty much anything right now, but my number 1 preference is to fix the offensive line.

I've been screaming for us to get an offensive tackle for like the last 4 years in the first round. It's my top priority. You aren't going to win without a top offensive line. We need to take it seriously and beef it up. Unlike Rivera, I'm sure Rhule and Brady really prioritize having a beast Oline

43 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

I've been screaming for us to get an offensive tackle for like the last 4 years in the first round. It's my top priority. You aren't going to win without a top offensive line. We need to take it seriously and beef it up. Unlike Rivera, I'm sure Rhule and Brady really prioritize having a beast Oline

That's saying that you wanted an OT instead of CMC

3 minutes ago, firefox1234 said:

Here is a good argument: We killed our last franchise QB.

To be very honest, the NFL as a whole isn't very smart.  There are a few teams that are ahead of the curve, but most just react rather than predict.  Most of the QB's that are drafted high are put into terrible situations.  Darnald in NJ, Cam here, Watson in Hou, etc....the teams just aren't smart enough to build around them correctly.

The very best way to predict success in this league is to build your team from the inside out, get your cap taken care of, draft a young QB early and pray he is legit, and go win a SB during that QB's first 5 years while he's cheap.  Unless you have your franchise QB, and he has proven that with him you are in the playoffs pretty much every single season, that's the best shot at a Lombardi.

We were in a position to execute that plan, and we completely screwed it up....now we will see just how good Rhule is.

15 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

To be very honest, the NFL as a whole isn't very smart.  There are a few teams that are ahead of the curve, but most just react rather than predict.  Most of the QB's that are drafted high are put into terrible situations.  Darnald in NJ, Cam here, Watson in Hou, etc....the teams just aren't smart enough to build around them correctly.

The very best way to predict success in this league is to build your team from the inside out, get your cap taken care of, draft a young QB early and pray he is legit, and go win a SB during that QB's first 5 years while he's cheap.  Unless you have your franchise QB, and he has proven that with him you are in the playoffs pretty much every single season, that's the best shot at a Lombardi.

We were in a position to execute that plan, and we completely screwed it up....now we will see just how good Rhule is.

Probably the worst way to go about it is signing some mediocre veteran QB who has never thrown for more than 14 TDs in a season to a $20M+ per year contract.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Probably the worst way to go about it is signing some mediocre veteran QB who has never thrown for more than 14 TDs in a season to a $20M+ per year contract.

Extending non pass rushing LB's.  Adding free agents when you need as many picks over the next 3 years as possible.  Trading up for bad players and passing on better ones because you are drafting for need.  Spending 3rd round picks on players unlikely to ever see the field.

I mean the disfunction goes on and on and on....but at this point, I just pretty much have to laugh...it's a trio of guys running the show here who have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Nobody would be dumb enough to do that!

Archived