• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

tEddY brIdgEwAtEr cAn't thrOw dEEp

Icege

4 hours ago, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

drew brees is also a game manager these days TBH

saints offensive gameplan is: throw slants to mike thomas or dump off to kamara

Well, good thing we're going to employ that same game plan.  We have the right players to do it.

3 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Don't put the horse before the cart.  He's overrated. Of any year for Clemson to falter and the shine to wear off it's this one.

His freshmen and sophomore year he went undefeated...and back to back National Championship games.    Name peers with that resume 2 years in? 

Lawrence gets that Tom Brady type hate at this point.  It is simply fun to hate the dude on top.  Fun to root for guys to fall.   And he gets the added Clemson hate.  Because unless you are a Clemson, Bama, Ohio St or OU fan....who isn't tired of the same general mix of teams practically every season.  Then the added Dabo hate.  Because again, unless you are a Clemson fan...Dabo annoys the heck out of people. 

Lawrence is Madden create a player w/ a bonkers resume.  Nothing overrated about him.  Not liking him in the context of college football? Reasonable, I guess, based on the above. 

My only knock against Lawrence is the same knock that every QB on an elite college team has - he rarely is asked to carry the offense and his offense has a talent advantage nearly across the board every week over the opposing defense. It was true of Burrows in last year's draft. It'll be true for Lawrence and Fields in next year's draft. It is what it is. Evaluating QBs is HARD.

17 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

My only knock against Lawrence is the same knock that every QB on an elite college team has - he rarely is asked to carry the offense and his offense has a talent advantage nearly across the board every week over the opposing defense. It was true of Burrows in last year's draft. It'll be true for Lawrence and Fields in next year's draft. It is what it is. Evaluating QBs is HARD.

True.  

Lawrence at least has 4 CFP games to judge him by (as just as Fresh and Sophomore).  Which presents a nice combo of eliminating the talent issue and putting him on the biggest stage possible.  ND, Bama, Ohio St, and LSU do provide a nice sample of all that.    He still appeared to be a video game creation in 3 of the 4. 

He is young.  Biggest knocks I have on him is he struggles w/ the same blitz Cam did and takes some pretty pointless and odd looking hits.  

54 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

There are outliers in every set of numbers. But how many checkdowns end up going for 80 yards? There just aren't enough of those types of outliers to drastically impact the averages at the end of the season. 

And conversely if you checkdown and get no yards your YPC goes way down. But much more it related to the style of offense and scheme then quarterback processing times or other factors you mentioned. For example while no team uses one scheme all the time, teams that use a coryell system and throw downfield have quarterbacks who average more time than Brees for example who almost exclusively throw short and intermediate passes.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It seems insignificant until you have an NFL edge rusher get around that tackle...

Once again more about scheme and line talent than anything to do with the quarterback. If that tackle contains the edge rusher the QB can take time to find the open receiver.

Just now, panthers55 said:

Once again more about scheme and line talent than anything to do with the quarterback. If that tackle contains the edge rusher the QB can take time to find the open receiver.

You missed the point. My point is that those seemingly small differences in average time to throw may not look like much on paper, but it doesn't take that edge rusher long to close the distance once he's past that OT.  Fractions of a second can be the difference between a getting a pass off and taking a hit or getting sacked.

1 hour ago, Panther'sBigD said:

So basically, he's been in a very similar situation what Cam was subjected to in the last few years, with a lot of the same shitty cast of characters, with even less to show for it. No one with a brain thinks he's can replace Cam, but shitting on him for his lack of deep throws is silly. 

cam put together an unreal mvp campaign with a shitty cast of characters and teddy bridgewater has a career 38-25 TD-INT ratio as a soon to be 28 year old. that ratio is worse than cam's despite not making near the kind of risky throws that cam routinely attempted and not being asked to be his team's primary short rushing threat (and arguably the greatest rushing threat in short situations in the history of the league). they're not even in the same ballpark. barely the same sport. it's not "shitting on him" to see that and to express concern about his very real deficiencies. sorry but just because he's the quarterback of the team doesnt mean we have to pretend he's something that he has never been at any point in his professional career. i've said all along he will likely put up better numbers here playing in an extremely qb friendly system with quite a bit of skill position talent around him but at this point he is what he is. maybe the guy more than 6 years removed from being drafted unlocks ability that we have not seen over the course of those 6 years, idk, but i wouldn't bet on it.

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Everything about that N.O. offense revolves around getting the ball out quickly. Teddy was in the bottom third of all QBs in average time to throw while playing in an offense literally designed around getting the ball out quickly.

So a guy who hasn't played meaningful games in 2 years who comes off the bench to run the offense as a backup should be criticized for taking 2 tenths of a second longer to throw the ball than the starter who has been there over a decade.  Nevermind he went 5-0 during that time. Again blink your eyes. That is the difference on average better 2.5 and 2.8 seconds.

3 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

So a guy who hasn't played meaningful games in 2 years who comes off the bench to run the offense as a backup should be criticized for taking 2 tenths of a second longer to throw the ball than the starter who has been there over a decade.  Nevermind he went 5-0 during that time. Again blink your eyes. That is the difference on average better 2.5 and 2.8 seconds.

The guy is below average in practically every NFL category and has been for his entire career. I'm not trying to trash the guy, I'm just being realistic. He's a below average NFL QB. He's here because he's familiar with Brady's offense. He doesn't do anything particularly well. I've only pointed these statistics and his ranking compared to other QBs to point this out when posters claim he's good at this or that. He's not.

2 minutes ago, GOOGLE JIM BOB COOTER said:

cam put together an unreal mvp campaign with a shitty cast of characters and teddy bridgewater has a career 38-25 TD-INT ratio as a soon to be 28 year old. that ratio is worse than cam's despite not making near the kind of risky throws that cam routinely attempted and not being asked to be his team's primary short rushing threat (and arguably the greatest rushing threat in short situations in the history of the league). they're not even in the same ballpark. barely the same sport. it's not "shitting on him" to see that and to express concern about his very real deficiencies. sorry but just because he's the quarterback of the team doesnt mean we have to pretend he's something that he has never been at any point in his professional career. i've said all along he will likely put up better numbers here playing in an extremely qb friendly system with quite a bit of skill position talent around him but at this point he is what he is. maybe the guy more than 6 years removed from being drafted unlocks ability that we have not seen over the course of those 6 years, idk, but i wouldn't bet on it.

So is Bridgewater what he is or will he much better under a friendly system QB here? You said both and that isn't logical unless you concede that who he is as a player is heavily dependent on the scheme he plays under and the talent around him.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

So is Bridgewater what he is or will he much better under a friendly system QB here? You said both and that isn't logical unless you concede that who he is as a player is heavily dependent on the scheme he plays under and the talent around him.

We'll see. His career performance says very likely not. Him being on his 4th team in 6 seasons says very likely not. Hurney very likely got duped again. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to find out that he was ultimately basically bidding against himself.

Archived