• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Winning Now Will Cost Us About 15 Years

SaltnPepper

1 minute ago, CatTower said:

Franchise coach > franchise QB

See Patriots

Do you realize how much it would stunt the development of our young team if we did what you suggested?  Then you think a QB at #1 is a sure thing?  What happened to Luck?  Cam?  Building a winning mindset with the right coach is the best way to long term success. 

Worked for Dallas. They got 3 rings.

7 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It wont let us sign them all but when at their peak, FAs were headed to NE for deals they wouldnt sign for anyone else. Why? A chance for a ring. As a competitor, at some point money doesn't matter. You need to win. A shrewd GM, definitely not Hurney, will be able to work that angle. Brady played most of his career far less than market value so the team could bring in FAs to win. 

You don't have to have a 50m QB. The Chiefs had Mahomes on his rookie deal. An average QB behind a solid OLine is better than a stellar QB behind a garbage one. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Chiefs with so much cap tied up in Mahomes. 

And let's not forget the coach makes a huge difference as well. I'm sure Rhule would have signed the contract if Tepper had told him to tank right from the beginning. Build a winning franchise and you will get there. 

So what we dont get TL. In a couple of years there will be another. Or maybe by that point we have started to build the confidence and the swag it takes for our deep playoff runs. 

You have no interest in anyone changing your mind. So on that note, I hope we 

WelloffGreatCockatoo-size_restricted.gif

If TL becomes the next Rodgers and we don't win the Superbowl in the next 20 years how can we not regret blowing the opportunity?

Do you not regret taking Rodgers when we had the chance?

10 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

It wont let us sign them all but when at their peak, FAs were headed to NE for deals they wouldnt sign for anyone else. Why? A chance for a ring. As a competitor, at some point money doesn't matter. You need to win. A shrewd GM, definitely not Hurney, will be able to work that angle. Brady played most of his career far less than market value so the team could bring in FAs to win. 

You don't have to have a 50m QB. The Chiefs had Mahomes on his rookie deal. An average QB behind a solid OLine is better than a stellar QB behind a garbage one. It will be interesting to see what happens to the Chiefs with so much cap tied up in Mahomes. 

And let's not forget the coach makes a huge difference as well. I'm sure Rhule would have signed the contract if Tepper had told him to tank right from the beginning. Build a winning franchise and you will get there. 

So what we dont get TL. In a couple of years there will be another. Or maybe by that point we have started to build the confidence and the swag it takes for our deep playoff runs. 

You have no interest in anyone changing your mind. So on that note, I hope we 

WelloffGreatCockatoo-size_restricted.gif

Ok.

If we were to go Major League and Teddy become Rick Vaughn then I'll be driving that train.

I only have 35 years left fellas. I need one championship. Just one.

9 minutes ago, CatTower said:

See Patriots

Do you realize how much it would stunt the development of our young team if we did what you suggested?  Then you think a QB at #1 is a sure thing?  What happened to Luck?  Cam?  Building a winning mindset with the right coach is the best way to long term success. 

I agree it takes both.

16 minutes ago, CatTower said:

See Patriots

Yep!  Not to mention that when you tank, by definition, you are pretty much devoid of talent.  And it will take a while to build the overall talent level back up to get to a competitive level.  By that time your franchise QB that you worked so hard to tank for will be just about ready to hit FA.  Brilliant strategy!!!

5 minutes ago, TrevorLaurenceTime22 said:

SNP you are cringe. Let it go this team is not as bad as you wish, even worse spewing it here in an attempt to get fans to root for it (even though it will not change the outcome in any way) is just sad.

I'm not trying to get you to root for it.

Most likely all hope is crushed.

I was so excited for the future until we beat the Chargers.

Now I feel worse than after both Superbowl loses.

Now I just hope we can defy all the odds and win a second lottery ticket. 

What are the odds of that?

55 minutes ago, SaltnPepper said:

Really. Where was I wrong?

I'll wait?

I’ll go first with just a few examples:

- You said Chargers had nothing from Fouts to Rivers. Remind me who played in Super Bowl XXIX. 

- Taking CMC was not a mistake. 

- Trevor Lawrence is not, regardless of how much you want him to be, a guaranteed HoF QB who’s already an all-time great.  

12 minutes ago, SaltnPepper said:

If TL becomes the next Rodgers and we don't win the Superbowl in the next 20 years how can we not regret blowing the opportunity?

Do you not regret taking Rodgers when we had the chance?

TL will go to the jets and fade away within 5 years. He’ll come in with a new coach (who won’t be good) and have a terrible team. 

In fact, history shows that the odds of any QB in this draft becoming special is very very low.

however, every few years a great QB gets drafted to a team that can develop him.

Its all luck. Even coming across great coaching is luck. 

Engineering your own destiny in this league doesn’t really happen. Not anymore.

Archived