• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How many more games until the NFL season is delayed/cancelled due to Coronavirus? *CATCH ALL NFL/COVID THREAD*

hepcat

27 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think the Titans should lose a draft pick.  If you are going to dock teams a draft pick for not wearing a mask on a sideline.....well, you dock the Titans blatantly violating COVID protocols. 

On that note, how hard would it be for players to have to wear a partial face shield just over the area in front of their mouths? Still plenty of room to get air around it and could potentially help with spread during game. 

32 minutes ago, Bama Panther said:

The number, which is actually 6% solely COVID deaths, was released by the CDC. Is the Centers for Disease Control not made up of experts?

Yeah I'm fully aware of the statistic...that's not the issue here.  The issue is yours and others' incredibly misinformed, ignorant interpretation of what that statistic means.  Let me simplify this for you:

True statement: 6% of Coronavirus deaths had Coronavirus listed as the only cause of death mentioned on death certificates.

False statement: Only 6% of reported Coronavirus deaths were actually caused by Coronavirus.

So why is the above statement false you ask?  Because simply having other co-morbidities listed on the death certificates does not mean that Coronavirus did not ultimately lead to their deaths.  Many of these co-morbidities were directly caused BY Coronavirus.  For example, "respiratory failure" was listed as a co-morbidity in 55,000+ deaths...guess what causes respiratory failure?  Perhaps a respiratory virus?  Like Covid? Hmm...strange, right?  So in your eyes, because "respiratory failure" was also listed on the death certificate (which is ultimately what that patient died of), Coronavirus didn't cause it.

What are some other commonly listed co-morbidities on these death certificates?  Hypertension...diabetes...asthma.......lots of medical conditions that are otherwise easily manageable without throwing a deadly virus into the mix.

Literally all you have to do is Google "Coronavirus 6%" or "Coronavirus comorbidity claim" and there are countless articles all talking about this.  Pick one and read it.  Or better yet, here you go...I'll take some excerpts from a couple of the articles:

In other words, 6% of people who died when they had COVID-19 didn't have underlying conditions, such as diabetes, asthma or heart disease, and didn't experience any medical complications, such as kidney failure or sepsis. But the other 94% of deaths were still caused by COVID-19, infectious disease experts said. That's because many chronic, underlying conditions can make diseases that a person might otherwise recover from, such as COVID-19, suddenly deadly. 

https://www.livescience.com/covid-19-comorbidities.html

But the data on which all of this is based come from death certificates, which list any causes or conditions that contributed to a person’s death. In the case of COVID-19, the disease often causes other serious conditions, such as pneumonia or acute respiratory distress syndrome. Those two conditions are among the ailments with the highest counts in the CDC’s comorbidity chart. Some long-term conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19, such as diabetes or hypertension, were also listed.

The underlying cause of death, however, is the condition that started the chain of events that led to a person’s death. In 92% of all deaths that mention COVID-19, that disease is listed as the underlying cause of death, Jeff Lancashire, spokesman for the CDC’s National Center for Health Statistics, told FactCheck.org in an email.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/

25 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

Yeah I'm fully aware of the statistic...that's not the issue here.  The issue is yours and others' incredibly misinformed, ignorant interpretation of what that statistic means.  Let me simplify this for you:

True statement: 6% of Coronavirus deaths had Coronavirus listed as the only cause of death mentioned on death certificates.

False statement: Only 6% of reported Coronavirus deaths were actually caused by Coronavirus.

So why is the above statement false you ask?  Because simply having other co-morbidities listed on the death certificates does not mean that Coronavirus did not ultimately lead to their deaths.  Many of these co-morbidities were directly caused BY Coronavirus.  For example, "respiratory failure" was listed as a co-morbidity in 55,000+ deaths...guess what causes respiratory failure?  Perhaps a respiratory virus?  Like Covid? Hmm...strange, right?  So in your eyes, because "respiratory failure" was also listed on the death certificate (which is ultimately what that patient died of), Coronavirus didn't cause it.

What are some other commonly listed co-morbidities on these death certificates?  Hypertension...diabetes...asthma.......lots of medical conditions that are otherwise easily manageable without throwing a deadly virus into the mix.

Literally all you have to do is Google "Coronavirus 6%" or "Coronavirus comorbidity claim" and there are countless articles all talking about this.  Pick one and read it.  Or better yet, here you go...I'll take some excerpts from a couple of the articles:

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/

Also , think about if "most" people weren't trying to actively protect themselves from catching Covid?  No lockdowns, no mask, no social distancing.... what would the numbers be then?

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I think the Titans should lose a draft pick.  If you are going to dock teams a draft pick for not wearing a mask on a sideline.....well, you dock the Titans blatantly violating COVID protocols. 

This is a slippery slope my friend. I am extremely uncomfortable with victim blaming when people get Covid, just like the disgusting media. I am so sick and tired of seeing Karens victim blame all these Covid patients. You know who else liked to victim blame? Hitler, victim blame today means before you know it, you will be reading Mein Kempf and blaming the ill for their sickness and wishing to eradicate them 

3 minutes ago, Udogg said:

Also , think about if "most" people weren't trying to actively protect themselves from catching Covid?  No lockdowns, no mask, no social distancing.... what would the numbers be then?

Actually, according to CDC up to 9x more people have had Covid than what the current confirmed tests show. So diminishing returns would have said probably not that drastic of a difference in deaths 

2 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

There’s no need for labeling folks as “ignorant.”  I understand that COVID caused or exasperated the average 2.3 comorbidities in the other 94% of deaths. I understand there is an interplay there.

I get the pandemic is real. I get the 210k deaths and the many hundreds of thousands/millions mourning those losses  I’m not downplaying that. I am not ignorant to that. Like many others, I want to, and am trying to, understand the full extent of this whole thing. The recent comments from the CDC suggesting we may have only accounted for 10% of actual infections in the US further complicate that understanding, as the deaths are would plummet if that is actually the case.

If anything good comes from this pandemic, I hope it includes people generally taking better care of themselves. Eating cleaner. Smoking/drinking less. Exercising more. Caring more, but at the same time, realizing life is fleeting for any number of reasons. 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

In the last decade (10 years), the CDC estimates the worst flu season killed approximately 51,000 people.   34,000 people last year. 

COVID isn't the flu.  As the POTUS was told by his doctors this past week....COVID is more contagious and deadly than the flu.  And we know that by the 210,000 deaths and counting.   

Just look at it this way. I bet if you walked up to a majority of people and asked them what have they seen more. Either A. People they know that died from Covid or B. People they know that got Covid but we’re asymptomatic or only had mild symptoms, a overwhelming majority would say B. For every “I know a person who died from Covid” story, there are likely 10 “I know so and so who had Covid and felt fine and didn’t even know they had it until they got tested” stories

4 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You do realize that article was actually a debunking of that number?

The numbers I was referring to in the post you quoted was in response to CRA’s post about the flu comparison. I’ve not compared COVID to the flu. I also addressed the comorbidities previously. 

7 hours ago, PanthersNC1984 said:

It would be dumb to cancel the season. It’s time for everyone to wake up and realize that a vast, vast, VAST majority of people who get Covid are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms. The hysteria needs to end. Look at the MLB for example, the Marlins had like 25 people test positive a couple months ago and now they are in the playoffs. The St Louis Cardinals had about 20 people infected and they came back a week early and swept their series. 

im not saying Covid is a hoax or anything, I do think it exists obviously but it’s only truly dangerous for a very, VERY small percentage of people and according to the CDC themselves only 4 yes, just 4% of all the US deaths were a direct result of Covid. This isn’t the unknown, super deadly virus it was back in March. While yes 210k deaths is a lot on paper, that’s out of population of 330 million people. That literally equates to roughly 0.075% of the US population. 

bottom line is we can’t keep living like this. You can cancel schools, NFL, and close down business all you want but that’s not sustainable and all you are doing is delaying the inevitable and kicking the can down the road. NYC is a prime example, they are shutting down schools and business again for 2-4 weeks, why? What’s going to change a few weeks from now?! 

Protect those most vulnerable and at risk.

100 percent this. Too often I talk with people thatre too afraid to live the normal life again, yet, say they’d never get the vaccine. Do people WANT to play this never ending game of hide and go seek with a virus? I don’t get it. If you fear for it, take your precautions, but don’t let it dictate society going forward. we need to start changing the knowledge people are given and focus on the positive. It’s like people WANT this new way of scared life. Obviously, take your precautions and do your part to stay safe. But to accept that you’re gonna have things shut down forever? It’s nonsense.

Archived