• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Teddy is more than good enough" crowd

KSpan

He has to improve on his vision, seeing the open guy on the field. Many times I've seen open receivers that he either doesn't see or knows that he can't make the throw accurately enough since they are further than 15 yards. Which brings me to my next point. He also needs to improve on his long ball. They are just about always underthrown. Deep crossing routes he has to stop throwing them behind the receiver as well. His decision making during crucial situations is also sketchy from time to time. Right now the only things he's good at is short to medium passes and scrambling. That is mostly ok and we can get by with that, but the bad thing about that is when you face a good defense, they know how to counter that. Until he works on these things, he's going to continue looking below to above average and continue swinging back and forth between them.

1 hour ago, mav1234 said:

Aaron Rodgers on the season had 13 TDs and no interceptions going into today. That's why nobody is upset that he had a 2 INT game.

Its fine to have off days, but Teddy is going to need to show he can win games like today if he's going to be a QB we want to build around long-term. Otherwise, he's just a stopgap.

I like Teddy and want him to be that QB.  Jury is out if he is.

To the guy you were replying to, the reason he has to prove he can single-handedly win games is because the guy he succeeded did just that with a lot less until he was run into the ground by the previous staff.  So knowing we HAD a franchise QB who could do that, many naturally expect that from our franchise QB.

As far what you replied with, mav, I agree.  And I'd add, people using Rodgers to defend Teddy is a non-starter.  Rodgers is a proven winner and a guy who has won games by putting his team on his back time and time again.  As you said, he had a 12/0 TD/INT ratio going into today.  Teddy was playing efficiently the last 3 weeks, but as stupid as it may sound, he was not reason we won any of those games.  He did his job in getting it to the playmakers at an efficient clip, but that's it.  He hasn't shown the ability to hit the throws that truly matter when the game is on the line and the receiver can't take a slant or drag and break off a 50+ yarder or scramble for a first down when we have no other options.  Guys like Rodgers throw receivers into TDs, they don't depend on their playmakers to bust the play open themselves.  It's two different styles of QB, and yes, every QB can and does have a bad game or two a season.  But, as I've said elsewhere, when you are a game manager, your margin for error is much, much slimmer than dynamic guys who throw/run their teams to victory on their backs.

My hyperbolic thread titles may undermine my standing on Teddy, but I maintain I've been a fan of his since college from afar.  But that doesn't mean I ever thought he was a franchise QB.  He's still an easy guy to pull for as a human being and a leader...  but, I have always thought he is what we saw and what we are seeing on the field - at best, a highly efficient game manager who is somewhere in the middle to high lower third of starting NFL QBs.  

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The statement that Teddy will never be a franchise QB is still silly. We just don't know yet. 

Facts

1 hour ago, KSpan said:

Agreed, which is why I didn't say that here or elsewhere. I have my opinion about his ceiling (which I have stated elsewhere) but also always note that I'm open to evidence otherwise, and that at least a full year is needed. IMO today was not a positive data point.

Dude...it’s implied in your title. Lol

14 minutes ago, WarHeel said:

I’m speaking to your post history as well, boss. Not just your attempt at satire. 

Do I think his ceiling is Alex Smith? Sure do, and I've said it. Do I think he and Alex Smith are quality quarterbacks but don't have the next-level ability? Yup.

How many times have I stated that I am open to being proven otherwise? All the time. What is my threshold of proof? Teddy elevating the team to big wins the like that Alex Smith did not do in KC (as an example).

Will it take time to know for sure? Absolutely. Am I making a definivite statement. No, and no point have I done so.

Am I disagreeing with what Igo said, which you agree with? Nope. So why are you disagreeing with me but not him? I have no idea, but it's not logical.

3 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Do I think his ceiling is Alex Smith? Sure do, and I've said it. Do I think he and Alex Smith are quality quarterbacks but don't have the next-level ability? Yup.

How many times have I stated that I am open to being proven otherwise? All the time. What is my threshold of proof? Teddy elevating the team to big wins the like that Alex Smith did not do in KC (as an example).

Will it take time to know for sure? Absolutely. Has Teddy to date put anything on film resembling my personal threshold of proof (since it's my opinion in question), including his opportunity to do so today? Nope. 

Fair enough. 

I do not believe Teddy is franchise QB.  As I said earlier, we all know at year’s end   Not sure it matters either 

in fairness to him, he was missing CMC and Samuels, and against a better defense we saw the oline in all it’s glory...not pretty.

we also saw the bears’ defense sitting on those short and intermediate routes, daring for a vertical.

the young panthers deserve credit...most didn’t think they would win a game. I thought a 2 to 3 game win ceiling.   The came out, made execution mistakes and I’m not sure about the game plan....my concern with Brady is tendencies on film for both he and Teddy.  

on to next week 

Archived