• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why does the offense suck ass in the 4th quarter with the game on the line?

hepcat

54 minutes ago, Rags said:

Forgot Kelce and Hunt but Hunt was just a replacement for Charles more than anything (and no where near as explosive or elusive as prime Charles was, and this offense was being built to be replaced by Mahomes.)

You also forget that Smith was Ultra Conservative by nature.

I'm not saying that we can't upgrade Teddy. I've stated multiple times we can. But he's faaar from a hindrance for this team. He's taken shots when he's needed to. He's been smart and he's been accurate. There's nothing so far to say that Teddy is holding us back and some canon armed QB would change that.

Also, this is ~100% purely conjecture~ but the Chiefs had the best team for Alex Smith in 2014, and they were doing great against the Colts in that playoffs, Smith had over 300 yards, but they lost Huston and other key defensive players mid game, and then Andy Reid clock management happened, and Luck brings the Colts back, I don't think even a Mahomes level talent could've stopped that. That team was good and the injuries killed em.

I don't think it's unfair to say we can't build a 2013 chiefs for Teddy.

Actually, Smith was ultra conservative by nuture. Look at his first years in the league and what he had to deal with. Yeah, Singletary screwed him up. 

And I hate when people use KC as an example of how this supposedly franchise QB transition should work when, as you rightfully stated, Bob Sutton's defense let the Chief's down more than Alex Smith ever did. Not to mention, Mahomes got a better offense around him than Smith ever had for most of his time there. I don't know if it was an outlier but Mahomes will always be known for the 5000/50 season but truth is, he won a Super Bowl putting up Alex Smith numbers with a better defense and truth be told, looking like it is going to be the same "numbers" wise this season. I believe Alex Smith would have taken the team that they have now to the SB but that's me not following the media and "fan" perspective. I looked at a lot of the games where Andy Reid was the problem, but I digress. 

Looking at this team, the QB is close to, if not at the bottom, of issues facing this team. I mean, you can bring up the sack today but emotions will say, "you can't take that sack." Film study shows that he could do nothing but take that sack and yall should have actually lost more yards on that sack. Pocket collapse and Davenport blew Davis up in the middle. It is what it is.

12 hours ago, NYpanthers said:

DJ did not drop the ball on 4th at all. That was 10000”% Teddys throw. Wrong shoulder when he was wide open 

That flies at every level before the NFL. In the league, if you can catch it then you have to catch it. It was a catchable ball. If it wasn't for his other drops throughout the game I'd be more inclined to agree I think though.

13 hours ago, Rags said:

Thanls internet.

Anyway our problem in the 4th is we can hide our oline when we're trying to come back.

Last week and this week emphasised we can't hold blocks for long across the line nor handle stunts well. All season we've been passing quick very often because our oline sucked (something bitch about now despite how we rightfully bitched we didn't do it enough with Cam/Shula). When Teddy had time he's shown he's not afraid to take shots or hit more intermediate routes. Hell he even took a great deep shot in tight man coverage. We need oline. Bad.

Even against our mediocre defense when we brought pressure or rushed 4, Saints oline held up for someone to get open. We don't have that.

It really all comes down to this. 

1 hour ago, lightsout said:

That flies at every level before the NFL. In the league, if you can catch it then you have to catch it. It was a catchable ball. If it wasn't for his other drops throughout the game I'd be more inclined to agree I think though.

Exactly.  He had that one and the TD pass in his hands.  That's a catch elite WRs make.  Moore has skills, but he is inconsistent.  

In each game, had the defense been able to prevent the opposing teams from converting one more third down, we'd have won.

And that is especially true from yesterday's game in New Orleans. They were converting third downs at a historic pace.

And we were there at the end, two feet short of tying the game up for over time.

Reality says this team is way ahead of where anyone imagined it would be at this time. And a lot of the credit goes to having a solid QB under center. 

Here is THE takeaway at this point in the season: the offense has us in position to win every game if our defense could just get it done for that one possession.

We didn't need our D to shutdown NO. We just needed 3 of those third downs to be stopped and force them to punt. They had something like 3x the amount of plays at one point? And the game was tied at that point I believe. That tells me our offense is getting it done, but our D can't get out of their own way. You force 14 third downs in any game, that's tough. You let them convert on 12 of those? You're sledding up hill to win.

Archived