• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How NFL executives view Rhule

Panthera onca

On 11/13/2020 at 11:31 AM, Moo Daeng said:

Rhule only said he wanted control over his staff. He got that. Nowhere did he say he wanted complete control over everything.  Its unfortunate that this false narrative won't go away.

I've read an article where he said it. It's not a false narrative. But, things change, realities set in, and sometimes people compromise.

I do think that control over his staff is the most important thing. Perhaps major input into personnel is all it will take to keep him.

19 hours ago, CarolinaRideorDie said:

With all the glowing reviews of Coach Rhule, do we give credit to Hurney or Tepper for the hire? Last I remembered, Hurney carried the interview and Tepper sat back and agreed. Obviously it was Tepper's wallet that secured the deal though. 

I don't think it really matters. Give the credit to Rhule for being the guy several teams wanted but was able to impress the first to the level he did.

7 hours ago, top dawg said:
On 11/13/2020 at 4:31 PM, Moo Daeng said:

Rhule only said he wanted control over his staff. He got that. Nowhere did he say he wanted complete control over everything.  Its unfortunate that this false narrative won't go away.

I've read an article where he said it. It's not a false narrative.

I'm curious to read said article, could you point me in the right direction please?

1 hour ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Did you see the post where I mentioned the show Billions?  Ever watched that one?

Yes I'm fully aware of how hedge funds are run, but when I mentioned concrete information I didn't mean pointing to the way a fictional character behaves in a tv show about a hedge fund as evidence of how things are actually functioning in the real world with the management of our sports team....

27 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

Yes I'm fully aware of how hedge funds are run, but when I mentioned concrete information I didn't mean pointing to the way a fictional character behaves in a tv show about a hedge fund as evidence of how things are actually functioning in the real world with the management of our sports team....

Oh that was just an opening query, no worries...maybe I'm confusing you with someone else but aren't you in the restaurant business as a customer service rep? 

Are you REALLY familiar with "how hedge funds are run"...?   

Don't underestimate the accuracy of how Axe Capital is portrayed vs. real life...

2 minutes ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Oh that was just an opening query, no worries...maybe I'm confusing you with someone else but aren't you in the restaurant business as a customer service rep? 

Are you REALLY familiar with "how hedge funds are run"...?   

Don't underestimate the accuracy of how Axe Capital is portrayed vs. real life...

I once worked in the restaurant industry. At present I'm a corporate sales trainer. My familiarity with the financial industry stems largely from having a close friend in the industry and having read extensively about Wall Street and the financial markets. Again, not sure how any hedge fund real or fictitious could plausibly be asserted to reliably demonstrate how our sports team is managed.  Tepper may or may not feel his sports team should be run using a similar management model. Part of being good at business is having the acumen to understand that not all businesses should be run in the same fashion.

I'm not saying our team is run this way, I'm not saying it's not. All I'm saying is that asserting it is based on nothing but the fact Tepper runs a hedge fun and a fictitious hedge fund on TV is run this way is pretty thin imo. Not to call you out in particular,  but when people assert things about the inner workings of a team, I'm always curious to know what actual information it is based upon or is it merely supposition.

59 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

My familiarity with the financial industry stems largely from having a close friend in the industry and having read extensively about Wall Street and the financial markets.

Not to call you out in particular,  but when people assert things about the inner workings of a team, I'm always curious to know what actual information it is based upon or is it merely supposition.

Got it -- you read a book and have a buddy.

Based on that, how would you describe a fund like Appaloosa (or Axe Capital)?  Flat?  Otherwise?  What are the 4 key positions that are responsible for generating returns?  BTW, it's all right there in the television program...

1 minute ago, SizzleBuzz said:

Got it -- you read a book and have a buddy.

Based on that, how would you describe a fund like Appaloosa (or Axe Capital)?  Flat?  Otherwise?  What are the 4 key positions that are responsible for generating returns?  BTW, it's all right there in the television program...

At the risk of repeating myself, I don't see how pointing to the way a fictional hedge fund is run on tv is a very strong argument for the way an NFL franchise that happens to be owned by a hedge fund manager is run in the real world. I haven't watched Billions extensively, at best I've seen a few clips on youtube, but I don't really need to watch a lot of it to know asserting it is predictive of how a rl sports franchise is run is a thin argument at best. 

You may or may not know why writing naked puts is a bad idea, who The Human Pirhana is irl, why Lewis Raneiri could be considered the grandfather of the housing market collapse or what the tax law change that made leveraged buyouts much less profitable and feasible after the 80's was and why Kolberg Kravis and Roberts forced out founder Kolberg.

Whether you do or you don't, these things have about as much bearing on how the Panthers are actually run as how flat Appaloosa is as an organization and who is responsible for generating the returns (inevitably it's the traders, but asking me for specific titles from a tv show I don't watch is like asking Rhule if he can coach the next game in Chinese. He can't but it doesn't matter.)

Which is to say, not at all.

The point that matters here is not how Appaloosa or Axe Capital is run, but that Tepper may or may not run his sports team in a similar manner.  If you can point to some specific information, perhaps an interview where he says something along the lines of "We ran things this way at Appaloosa and I've decided that model would work well for the Panthers." that would indeed be useful information and a strong argument. But simply pointing at a tv show and using that as the basis for your assertion of how the Panthers are run because the tv show is about a hedge fund and Tepper ran one, that's not a premise I'm going to accept on it's face.

28 minutes ago, 1of10Charnatives said:

At the risk of repeating myself, I don't see how pointing to the way a fictional hedge fund is run on tv is a very strong argument for the way an NFL franchise that happens to be owned by a hedge fund manager is run in the real world. I haven't watched Billions extensively, at best I've seen a few clips on youtube, but I don't really need to watch a lot of it to know asserting it is predictive of how a rl sports franchise is run is a thin argument at best. 

You may or may not know why writing naked puts is a bad idea, who The Human Pirhana is irl, why Lewis Raneiri could be considered the grandfather of the housing market collapse or what the tax law change that made leveraged buyouts much less profitable and feasible after the 80's was and why Kolberg Kravis and Roberts forced out founder Kolberg.

Whether you do or you don't, these things have about as much bearing on how the Panthers are actually run as how flat Appaloosa is as an organization and who is responsible for generating the returns (inevitably it's the traders, but asking me for specific titles from a tv show I don't watch is like asking Rhule if he can coach the next game in Chinese. He can't but it doesn't matter.)

Which is to say, not at all.

The point that matters here is not how Appaloosa or Axe Capital is run, but that Tepper may or may not run his sports team in a similar manner.  If you can point to some specific information, perhaps an interview where he says something along the lines of "We ran things this way at Appaloosa and I've decided that model would work well for the Panthers." that would indeed be useful information and a strong argument. But simply pointing at a tv show and using that as the basis for your assertion of how the Panthers are run because the tv show is about a hedge fund and Tepper ran one, that's not a premise I'm going to accept on it's face.

"naked puts"...

...LOL. 

PS...how would you describe Mafee's role within the organization?  Dollar Bill?  And Wag's?

Nice complements from other NFL execs. 

I wasn't against Rhule at all.  I had my reservations but they quickly went away after the draft and saw he addressed our defense with some real studs.  So if reservations requires me to eat some crow.  Serve it up.  Main thing he's here and doing a great job.

Kelly went into Philly and gutted some quality players because they didn't fit his style. McCoy being the main one.  Outside of Cam, Rhule didn't gut the talent on the team.  He kept the majority of the good players.   His approach to players is outstanding and he definitely gets the most out of the least.   What I really like the most is that he eyes athletic, multi-positional players.  He values speed.  As this roster grows with better talent. We are going to see that the Panthers will be one of the fastest teams in the league.  Watch and See.  As long as Rhule makes sure he gets the players he wants and Hurney doesn't bury us in stupid contracts.  It won't matter too much who the GM is.   I'd rather see Hurney gone and Rhule's man in place. 

I know I might be too optimistic but if Rhule can keep us competitive with this roster.  It's not out of the realm of possibility that we could have a winning record in 2021 and be a surprised wildcard team.  

What I think all of us want to see back to back winning season.  I want us to be talked about in the same sentence as other perennial playoff teams. 

I think this is why the marriage of Tepper and Rhule work so well.  Tepper's former team Pittsburgh was a model of how a team should be year in and year out.  Rhule seems to be Tepper''s Tomlin and you can't argue that's not a good thing. 

Archived