• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Talk to me about Trask

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Speaking of, I am pretty amazed we have Panther fans wanting a QB like Trask when QB mobility is almost a necessity in the modern NFL. 

Define mobile. Can he move around the pocket? Yes. Does he have multiple runs over 10 yards this year? Yes. Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are all having success without being mobile. Big Ben isn’t really mobile. All you need a QB to do is move around the pocket. They don’t need to be runners like Lamar. 

1 minute ago, Varking said:

Define mobile. Can he move around the pocket? Yes. Does he have multiple runs over 10 yards this year? Yes. Matt Ryan, Drew Brees and Tom Brady are all having success without being mobile. Big Ben isn’t really mobile. All you need a QB to do is move around the pocket. They don’t need to be runners like Lamar. 

Yeah but you are also talking about guys that are about to be headed into retirement. Now take a look at the next generation of QB's in the NFL, Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, Murray, Herbert, Watson, Prescott, Allen, etc. That's the thing, you need to be very elite to get away with not having some amount of mobility. Trask is a below average athlete at NFL QB(IMO, combine will let us know if that is accurate). 

It's an extra element that you have to account for and stresses your defense.

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Yeah but you are also talking about guys that are about to be headed into retirement. Now take a look at the next generation of QB's in the NFL, Wilson, Mahomes, Jackson, Murray, Herbert, Watson, Prescott, Allen, etc. That's the thing, you need to be very elite to get away with not having some amount of mobility. Trask is a below average athlete at NFL QB(IMO, combine will let us know if that is accurate). 

That’s why I want Wilson. He has mobility. 

2 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I actually saw where many of the young QBs fashioned their game after Cam.  I know there were a few like Vick and Cunningham but Cam kind of set the bar and now many teams go for this type of player.  

I am in agreement that we should be looking for a mobile QB.  

2 minutes ago, nctarheelreincarnated said:

They played admirably yesterday. The Offense was ass yesterday though. 

Yep. The D played about as well as they're capable of playing. Once Longo showed his hand on the first two drives the offense was done. ND made adjustments and he couldn't counter. If he'd called a misdirection run or a backside screen in the second half it would've probably been a walk in score. ND was selling out toward first action in the running game all game long because we never even attempted to run a misdirection. One of the sacks we took was maddeningly likes Shula play. TE and RB stayed in to help protect and there were three slow developing deep routes with the WRs. Zero checkdowns or intermediate options available. Just brilliant play calling when you're struggling to slow down a pass rush.

UNC is going to be an enigma for their fans. Their defense is going to be nasty in two years with all the talent they will have. By then Howell will be gone, and who knows how good the offense will be. I don’t expect it to be top 5 that’s for sure. 

I like what Mack Brown has done in his brief return to UNC.  Depending on his 2021 class their defense might be better.  

I'll never forget what the NCAA did to his team when they had arguably the best D-line in the history of college sport.  Those suspensions IMO was based that they didn't want Carolina to dominate over their favorites like Alabama and OSU. 

UNC is going to be an enigma for their fans. Their defense is going to be nasty in two years with all the talent they will have. By then Howell will be gone, and who knows how good the offense will be. I don’t expect it to be top 5 that’s for sure. 

That depends on their player development, IMO. UNC almost always recruits well but has struggled mightily to actually develop that talent the past couple of coaches. Mack has recruited quite well but that has to start translating on the field. The concern should be that you have the best QB in the history of the university(by a wide margin, TBH) and it has resulted in two disappointing seasons(this could change with a win over Miami). And you can't throw a barb saying the previous staff left the cupboard bare, because Fedora recruited very well too.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep. The D played about as well as they're capable of playing. Once Longo showed his hand on the first two drives the offense was done. ND made adjustments and he couldn't counter. If he'd called a misdirection run or a backside screen in the second half it would've probably been a walk in score. ND was selling out toward first action in the running game all game long because we never even attempted to run a misdirection. One of the sacks we took was maddeningly likes Shula play. TE and RB stayed in to help protect and there were three slow developing deep routes with the WRs. Zero checkdowns or intermediate options available. Just brilliant play calling when you're struggling to slow down a pass rush.

I despise Longo with a passion. He’s the main reason they have lost the games to poo teams. That and Howells pocket awareness is not good. 

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I actually saw where many of the young QBs fashioned their game after Cam.  I know there were a few like Vick and Cunningham but Cam kind of set the bar and now many teams go for this type of player.  

I am in agreement that we should be looking for a mobile QB.  

Yeah, I agree you need mobility at QB in the modern game. That doesn't mean you need a Cam or a Lamar Jackson. Mahomes runs a 4.8, but he's still mobile because he's smart and he has crazy ability to throw on the move. It's a lot harder to defend him running when you have to respect his ability to throw in the move so much.

Just now, nctarheelreincarnated said:

I despise Longo with a passion. He’s the main reason they have lost the games to poo teams. That and Howells pocket awareness is not good. 

The thing about Howell (and Cam and Roethlisberger and a lot of other elite QBs) is that you have to take the good with the bad in that aspect. Yeah, they're going to take some bad sacks, but they're also going to make a ton of plays that other guys just can't make.

Archived